• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help For The Plastic Chaincase Covers

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Anyone Have Recent Updates?

Mountainhorse,

I hope this thread isn't totally dead.... I need advice....

Thanks so much for posting the information in this thread. I am new to this forum. I registered a few minutes ago specifically because of an intertnet search that hit on this thread. I have the same problem and was looking for information to educate myself about the same failure on my sled.

I own a 2005 RMK 900 (151 inch track) in the Blue/Gray 50th anniversary colors. I bought the sled brand new in 2005 and had all the known updates done to it during the next 18 months. In 2007, I fell on very hard times. This sled was last ridden in April 2007; at which time I parked it indoors, under a cover and never saw it or pulled the rope for the next 4 and one half years.

Last week, I finally started it and took it for it's first ride since April, 2007. I went on a 75 mile ride. 50 miles into the ride (45 mph on smooth, groomed trails only) my chain started jumping bad. I barely crippled it home, then took it to a shop for repair.

In the past few days, I have just learned about the supposed recall/service bulletin update for chaincase covers on these models. This week is the first I've ever heard about it and there was no mention by Polaris about this problem during the 2 seasons I used the machine, nor did I ever receive any notification from Polaris or my dealer about the service update.

Upon learning this week (due to my misfortune), I read the service bulletin update by Polaris which was issued in June/July of 2007 (3 months after my sled went into long-term storage). Unfortunately, the Polaris bulletin to provide for the lower reinforcement bracket expired in September 2010. My dealer is trying to obtain satisfaction from Polaris on my behalf; given the unusual/extenuating circumstances of long-term storage, but they tell me Polaris is typically hard-nosed about making any exceptions, regardless of reason.

My question is this.... I would like to try your heat-shield remedy and other recommendations, but was wondering if there is any new details that can be offered to make sure the problem is permanently fixed. Now that this thread is 3 years old and others may have used your suggestion, perhaps time as allowed for even more ideas and fixes to be discovered??

Is the information about correcting this chaincase cover leakage problem in this thread still valid and proving to be the most practical long-term solution for the matter?

Please advise,

~Mark

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Most guys with the 2005's have installed the billet chaincase covers that forum member POLZINHUNTER makes, pitched the plastic ones in the trash, and said goodbye to problems.

I am getting some billet chain case covers here in a few days if ur interested in buying 1..I'll have 05 and 06 models instock

guidoxpress,

are your billet covers the ones made by POLZINHUNTER that are mentioned in the post below your reply? Yes - I am interested, but need more info. What is the cost? Do you have photos? Can you direct me to more info about them?

~Mark

Most guys with the 2005's have installed the billet chaincase covers that forum member POLZINHUNTER makes, pitched the plastic ones in the trash, and said goodbye to problems.

diamonddave,

Thanks for your input. I am new to the site... tried to locate forum member POLZINHUNTER's profile, but don't see anywhere to find profiles. Using the search field with his username didn't help. Can anyone direct me so I can contact him?

~Mark

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
guidoxpress,

are your billet covers the ones made by POLZINHUNTER that are mentioned in the post below your reply? Yes - I am interested, but need more info. What is the cost? Do you have photos? Can you direct me to more info about them?

~Mark

yes these are Kreg (polzinhunter) made covers...he is a great friend of mine and extremely busy so i help him out with stuff he makes to get them sold and spread the word on his outstanding work and products!!

diamonddave,

Thanks for your input. I am new to the site... tried to locate forum member POLZINHUNTER's profile, but don't see anywhere to find profiles. Using the search field with his username didn't help. Can anyone direct me so I can contact him?

he is very busy, so please come thru me and i will take care of you on any of his products

~Mark

guideoxpress,

I saw your post earlier in this thread about the 2005 billet covers, but when I click on the embedded link to go to the other thread you reference, it is broken. there is no thread title either....

heres the links for the 05 billet covers..

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158167&highlight=billet+cover

heres the link to the 06 billet covers

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237195&highlight=billet+cover

heres the link to the rider select delete plates also made by kreg..

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114681&highlight=rider+select+delete

i send you a PM on price and details of the covers and rider select delete kits

yes these are Kreg (polzinhunter) made covers...he is a great friend of mine and extremely busy so i help him out with stuff he makes to get them sold and spread the word on his outstanding work and products!!

i send you a PM on price and details of the covers and rider select delete kits

guidoxpress,

Thanks for the update. I want one of the 2005 cover kits. I just sent you a reply to your PM. Included is my full contact info... please check...

~Mark

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Good post! My new sled has the aluminum cover. My old 2008 started leaking at the end of last year

Premium Features