• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anything new with the 2020 850 vs. 2019 850 motor?

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Anything new with the 2020 850 vs. 2019 850 motor?

- Something about the lower end?
- Is there an even newer ECU reflash?

Anything else anyone knows of?

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
i was at dealer today. they said new bearing in ctr of crankshaft. has a retaining ring so its not walking in cases, covering oil port. also more or larger oil ports injecting oil into crank bearings...

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
There is a new software program calibration aimed at improving hot start issues, eliminating bogging and hesitations that some riders experienced. Hardware changes include a retaining ring added to the PTO bearing and matching machining of the cases to position it precisely in the crankcase during assembly, slight changes to the piston profile for improved heat tolerance, and assembly line changes to improve the silicone sealing application to keep the sealant out of the check valve.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
This was at the Polaris booth at the Yellowstone Expo today.

4e2ec91e23951f6d46db12018996539a.jpg

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I find it strange that The 2019 850 engine update package Indy Specialty designed in November/December of the 2018 will prove to be more advanced and more dependable then the 2020 Polaris 850 factory updates.

I also thinks it’s sad on Polaris’s part that A 2019 850 that Indy Specialty updates will be a longer lasting motor then the factory 2020 850 ..... why does Polaris make to simplest things so over complex ?

It’s funny how 3 months ago the line of nay sayers thrashing me saying there was nothing wrong with the 850 are so quiet right now.

I wonder where ADDIE is ? AKA Kelsey with his big Facebook write up saying how I was wrong about every update I said the 850 needed.....

I wonder what the Facebookers have to say now ?

I went out on a limb...... and I put it all in writing.

I said time will show who is right or wrong.

With all of Polaris’s resources I would rather have a 2019 850 that was updated the way I see it rather then the way they see it need to be done.

They missed 2 of the most important dependability problems.����

Dan

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
i was at dealer today. they said new bearing in ctr of crankshaft. has a retaining ring so its not walking in cases, covering oil port. also more or larger oil ports injecting oil into crank bearings...

The MAG center bearing had retaining ring on the 2019 850, and there was no oil port in the center to cover.

You are mentioning features that are PTO bearing related

Dan

Last edited:

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
With all of Polaris’s resources I would rather have a 2019 850 that was updated the way I see it rather then the way they see it need to be done.

They missed 2 of the most important dependability problems.����

Dan

So what are the two most important things that they missed?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
So what are the two most important things that they missed?

Hmmmmm....

Well I guess I will say this..... ( it’s a know when to hold’em and know when to fold them type situation)

I posted pictures in detail months ago on this forum ( not sure if they were deleted or not ) they were on the ....... ** 850 already down ** thread

The early updates I posted have been tested all winter with no problems.

We made a few tweaks in the bottom end to increase bearing life from our early updates.

I am not going to post changes We made until Next fall.

I laid my opinion out on this motor months ago.... and posted detailed photos of what I did.

The revisions are all in our new Long Rod 850.... We will have a cut away of our Long Rod 850 on our website this spring.... ( some details will not be showed until fall )

The revisions will also be on our Mountain Warthog Long Rod 850 Turbo Motor

There will be several of our Mountain Warthog Long Rod 850 Turbo motors hitting the snow in the month of March.

A shop has to have a few secrets or the next season for Heavens sake

Dan

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Hmmmmm....

Well I guess I will say this..... ( it’s a know when to hold’em and know when to fold them type situation)

I posted pictures in detail months ago on this forum ( not sure if they were deleted or not ) they were on the ....... ** 850 already down ** thread

The early updates I posted have been tested all winter with no problems.

We made a few tweaks in the bottom end to increase bearing life from our early updates.

I am not going to post changes We made until Next fall.

I laid my opinion out on this motor months ago.... and posted detailed photos of what I did.

The revisions are all in our new Long Rod 850.... We will have a cut away of our Long Rod 850 on our website this spring.... ( some details will not be showed until fall )

The revisions will also be on our Mountain Warthog Long Rod 850 Turbo Motor

There will be several of our Mountain Warthog Long Rod 850 Turbo motors hitting the snow in the month of March.

Dan

Fun to prove you're right, but you run a business after all...

I would LOVE to have a Indy Specialty LongRod motor!! Just don't have the problems to justify it! LOL.:face-icon-small-dis

And I ride true sealevel so powervise I am covered to. But any trouble finding me, and I know who to call..

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
It's great to see Polaris is making improvements to the new motor. We had a friend blow his in his new 850 RMK. Dealer had him up and running in a week.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming

Dan

So help me understand this, you revealed on the forum in the thread section another ‘850 gone down’ of the other two issues where you believe Polaris missed the boat with these 2020 updates. Now these two issues are topic secret after you mentioned them winter of ‘18-‘19?

I don’t own an 850 or plan to update both my 14s for a while. Just trying to understand your last comment.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
So help me understand this, you revealed on the forum in the thread section another ‘850 gone down’ of the other two issues where you believe Polaris missed the boat with these 2020 updates. Now these two issues are topic secret after you mentioned them winter of ‘18-‘19?

I don’t own an 850 or plan to update both my 14s for a while. Just trying to understand your last comment.

Its not really a secret......... if you studied every thing i talked about and looked at all the pictures i posted.... Then looked everything polaris did the differences are for all to see.

I am not going to break it down to kindergarden level again.

I have a business to run.....and I have employees that depend on me to show a profit.

I gave out the the exact updates the 850 motor HAD TO HAVE in November/December ...to give long time piece of mind for dependability.

Since i did posted that info months ago ..... ( which as a whole is better then the full list of updates polaris did for 2020 ) I have since changed a few things that i feel are even better.

That being said I would be a moron to tip my hand before fall.

We have already emplemented these changes in february.

Indy Specialty has always been about trying to build a better mouse trap.

Pretty basic business plan.

Dan

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I don’t see the long rod 850 engine on your website. Price? Does it make mo powa! Torque, especially in the middle?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I don’t see the long rod 850 engine on your website. Price? Does it make mo powa! Torque, especially in the middle?

We are a little behind on the website.....This winter has been pretty amazing compared to the last several around the Midwest.

I will see if we can get some of the new 850 stuff on there.

The 850 Long Rod will be running a much Longer Long in relation to the 800 Long Rong we built since 2011, and the 850 also runs a twin ring piston.
the Rod is more then 8mm's longer.

Piston life was our main target, and more low end Torque on the Warthog Turbo motors.

Website updates coming soon.

Thanks for you're patients.

Dan

Last edited:

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
Its not really a secret......... if you studied every thing i talked about and looked at all the pictures i posted.... Then looked everything polaris did the differences are for all to see.

I am not going to break it down to kindergarden level again.

I have a business to run.....and I have employees that depend on me to show a profit.

I gave out the the exact updates the 850 motor HAD TO HAVE in November/December ...to give long time piece of mind for dependability.

Since i did posted that info months ago ..... ( which as a whole is better then the full list of updates polaris did for 2020 ) I have since changed a few things that i feel are even better.

That being said I would be a moron to tip my hand before fall.

We have already emplemented these changes in february.

Indy Specialty has always been about trying to build a better mouse trap.

Pretty basic business plan.

Dan
What about cylinder finish, poor ring seal and obviously the mandatory leak down test. No mention of this from Polaris.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
What about cylinder finish, poor ring seal and obviously the mandatory leak down test. No mention of this from Polaris.

Exactly ! Until Polaris address’s cylinder finish ( addmits publicly ) that their cylinder finish is ....

#1 - to aggressive even on the best they put out.

#2 - inconsistant from motor to motor

Until this happens no performance company, and or Turbo company can put out a good running package ( there are to many variables )

If the cylinder leak down at lets say 500 miles is on one sled is ....

2 - 1/2 % then at 1500 miles it’s 6%

And then on another sled at 500 miles it’s let’s say ....

5% then at 1500 miles it’s 1-1/2 %

There is NO WAY at the 1500 mile mark these two sleds will will run the same...

Nor can they be fueled and clutched the same.....

Sled one at 6% runs like a 700cc at best

Sled two at 1-1/2 % runs like an 850 should run

This is why we the people have to push the everyone and every dealer to make leak down mandatory.

Leak down numbers will give the power to put your foot down with Polaris

Dan

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
I

I wonder where ADDIE is ? AKA Kelsey with his big Facebook write up saying how I was wrong about every update I said the 850 needed.....

I wonder what the Facebookers have to say now ?

I went out on a limb...... and I put it all in writing.

I said time will show who is right or wrong.

Whatever 850's have the finish this one had won't make it thru the first season.

if they don't have a lock ring the crank will 100% of the time slde over and hit the case EVERYTIME

I feel sorry for anyone who tries to make this thing a 900..... it will go from 840 great to 900 garbage in a moment.

Dan

Dan, since you asked where I was at, I will gladly tell you..

I did quote a few of your "prophecies" above (in color), that have not surfaced in my area (and some others), at least.

1) The 850's around here have been almost perfect.. I know of 1 going down due to a stripped water pump gear. (nothing you mentioned in your list of faults)

My, personal 850 has suffered abuse like no other sled I have owned. It is flawless , so far. MANY others, in my group and surrounding area have been the same.. flawless.

2) My crank bearing has not moved (nobody else's around here has either that I know of).. Got close to a 1000 HARD mountain miles (ALL in deep powder held to the bar a good part of the day.. Over 1 minute WOT fully loaded pulls (more load than can possibly be applied unless in the mountains and deep snow ie.. no matter how long you hold it across a lake, it would not equal this kind of load).. So far, so good!

3) As for your claim about the big bore being a dog... The 911 big bore, we have created, is an absolute monster in terms of power and fun. It has been flogged in the deep snow as well and has proven to be very solid and reliable.

Should be a great option for most 850 owners. Pushing 200HP on pump gas is going to put a smile on most people's faces.

4) Nice work on the bearing retainer. Polaris made a mistake and have corrected it for 2020. I have insight that this was an error that should have never happened and was originally designed and tested with a "kept" bearing. When it went to production, this got deleted by mistake. Afterall, all of their previous engines have had a retainer. This is not new technology. Mistakes happen.

5) Speaking of mistakes, the extra case sealer falls into this category as well. Screen has been added to the check valve and sealant amounts are now well defined for 2020. So it should be good as well.

6)As for hone finish, We (and almost every other person who hones cylinders) will agree to disagree on this one. I still do not agree that the hone finish wears skirts. Nothing wrong with your super hone finish, just do not think it is required or increases piston life.

7) Single ring piston and power fade... I guess another agree to disagree with regards to myself and I would guess most ANY engine builder who is looking for the most power from an engine (NASCAR, Formula 1, Karting, NHRA etc etc) The single ring piston , IMO, is a problem for those whopush their engine and want the most from it. We will see how much skirt collapse has occurred after more tear downs after this season is over. Preliminary inspections have shown nothing conclusive. This will be a time-line thing much like the previous 800 CFI engines with pistons and cranks..

Overall.. Polaris has FINALLY put out a powerplant that can compete with the other 2. Reliability has been good and should be better for 2020. In big bore form it could rival most any N/A sled out there. 2020 should be exciting for this engine..

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
Dan, since you asked where I was at, I will gladly tell you..

I did quote a few of your "prophecies" above (in color), that have not surfaced in my area (and some others), at least.

1) The 850's around here have been almost perfect.. I know of 1 going down due to a stripped water pump gear. (nothing you mentioned in your list of faults)

My, personal 850 has suffered abuse like no other sled I have owned. It is flawless , so far. MANY others, in my group and surrounding area have been the same.. flawless.

2) My crank bearing has not moved (nobody else's around here has either that I know of).. Got close to a 1000 HARD mountain miles (ALL in deep powder held to the bar a good part of the day.. Over 1 minute WOT fully loaded pulls (more load than can possibly be applied unless in the mountains and deep snow ie.. no matter how long you hold it across a lake, it would not equal this kind of load).. So far, so good!

3) As for your claim about the big bore being a dog... The 911 big bore, we have created, is an absolute monster in terms of power and fun. It has been flogged in the deep snow as well and has proven to be very solid and reliable.

Should be a great option for most 850 owners. Pushing 200HP on pump gas is going to put a smile on most people's faces.

4) Nice work on the bearing retainer. Polaris made a mistake and have corrected it for 2020. I have insight that this was an error that should have never happened and was originally designed and tested with a "kept" bearing. When it went to production, this got deleted by mistake. Afterall, all of their previous engines have had a retainer. This is not new technology. Mistakes happen.

5) Speaking of mistakes, the extra case sealer falls into this category as well. Screen has been added to the check valve and sealant amounts are now well defined for 2020. So it should be good as well.

6)As for hone finish, We (and almost every other person who hones cylinders) will agree to disagree on this one. I still do not agree that the hone finish wears skirts. Nothing wrong with your super hone finish, just do not think it is required or increases piston life.

7) Single ring piston and power fade... I guess another agree to disagree with regards to myself and I would guess most ANY engine builder who is looking for the most power from an engine (NASCAR, Formula 1, Karting, NHRA etc etc) The single ring piston , IMO, is a problem for those whopush their engine and want the most from it. We will see how much skirt collapse has occurred after more tear downs after this season is over. Preliminary inspections have shown nothing conclusive. This will be a time-line thing much like the previous 800 CFI engines with pistons and cranks..

Overall.. Polaris has FINALLY put out a powerplant that can compete with the other 2. Reliability has been good and should be better for 2020. In big bore form it could rival most any N/A sled out there. 2020 should be exciting for this engine..
Closely watching the 911 BB

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Premium Features