• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Option for updated Primary

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have a 2015 Proclimb and I am starting the think about replacing at least the primary clutch. My sled still works well but, I am trying to be proactive. I see there are a lot of options out there to update to the newer style of clutches but, if possible I would like to not have to buy another set of MDS weights for a new Team primary.

I would kind of like to stick with a 2015 (0746-435), 2016 (0746-862) or 2017 (0746-881) primary because replacing the primary with a like item becomes a much easier job. Just swap the weights and spring. The benefit would be, I don't have to mess with the secondary at all.

So, what differences are there between these primaries?

Is one better than the others (I would think a 2017) should be the best?

Is it possible to order one that comes with the bolts that hold the clutch weights?

Edit: I may have just answered my own question: http://www.arcticinsider.com/Article/Explained-Inside-Arctic-Cats-New-TEAM-Clutches

It seems I may be stuck with a 2015 primary if I really want to continue to use my same clutch weights.

Here are some of the options I see: It looks like for $382.23 I can have a new primary with new primary weight bolts. Unless the primary comes with them?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cat...h=item1a7536765c:g:hu8AAOSwFfJcYv2y:rk:7:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cat...m=122183483941&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
OK, this is a fairly simple question but, what are the primary drivers for replacing a primary (pun intended). :) Basically, how do I know it's time to replace the primary? I am guessing there are specific measurements to take.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Prior to 2016, once a roller sticks, buy a new primary and buy the newest available style that fits ur engine. Just so happens that the 2019 will bolt right on. Get stock weights cheap.
Not sure if u can make ur secondary work or if u need a team tied...

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
unless you have over 2500 miles on the 15 clutch your way over thinking this.
you will most likely sell it before the clutching is shot.
I do love my 19 MC as I have 1000 miles on the first belts and NOT many trail miles and a lot of deep ID pow miles.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
id get the 17 when it's time. it did get a little tweak from 16. it engages nice and smooth. add glide washers to each end of the spring. not sure if cat has ever had a better combo than that.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Yesterday I was checking my sled over and noticed what I originally thought were water drops on my primary clutch. I saw the water droplets again today and thought, those aren't water droplets! Those a freakin small holes in the face of your primary clutch.

I looked at the secondary, it's not as bad but, it has several holes as well.

What in the world caused this? Ice?

Resized Clutch Picture.jpg

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
My belt still looks good. The only thing I can think of is ice?

I did have an extra vent from another project and mounted it in front of my primary three years ago. I have never seen these kind of marks before now, what the heck?

I would think that vent would get plugged with snow as soon as I get off the trail? Strange.

Is the clutch shot?

Resized Clutch Vent.jpg

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Whatever it was that went around my primary, it looks like it's been a while because the clutch faces are nice and smooth (other than the divots).

Here's a picture of the secondary. Whatever it was, it went around there as well but, thankfully it's not quite as chewed up.

Resized Secondary Clutch.jpg

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Yesterday I was checking my sled over and noticed what I originally thought were water drops on my primary clutch. I saw the water droplets again today and thought, those aren't water droplets! Those a freakin small holes in the face of your primary clutch.

I looked at the secondary, it's not as bad but, it has several holes as well.

What in the world caused this? Ice?

Definitely something foreign and hard... probably a small screw/bolt rattled loose and bounced around in there for a bit while riding.

Do you see anything laying in the belly pan anywhere?

As long as it doesn't start eating belts it should be just fine. if you feel any ridges you could take some very fine sandpaper to it, but by the looks of it, it doesn't look like it would be an issue.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
It could be from rolling my sled over. I do that when I am stuck.

Any foreign object laying under the engine would be dislodged and could end in my clutches.

I have been reading up on replacement clutches but, it gets expensive in a hurry.

Does anyone have a 2015 primary they want to sell?

Premium Features