• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 SBA headlight and dash issue

Sled seems to run perfectly fine but my headlights flicker from really dim to normal intermittently while riding. In addition, my dash flickers on and off when I stop and let it idle and sometimes will stay off, Tap the throttle and dash stays on no problem.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? Stator or voltage regular? What should these test out at with a meter?

I tested the voltage reg while running and had no voltage on the orange wire plug.
Brown and red wire plug
7VDC at idle, 13-14 at clutch engagement
Yellow wire plug
8VAC at idle, 12 at clutch engagement

Still haven't figured this issue out, my stator seemed to ohm out just fine when I tested that and my capacitor on top of the clutch cover holds voltage as well.

What does the regulator under the hood next to the ignition coils do? I'm leaning towards one of the voltage regulators or throttle positioning sensor. Any input is greatly appreciated!

This problem is still bugging me. I thought it might of been my TPS so I went through all the checks for that. I have .71 VDC reference out of the TPS with the idle screw all the way out and then set the idle screw at .945 VDC coming from the TPS. The dash issues seemed to get a little better but will still get intermittent issues with the dash going out at idle. Headlights continue to go dim and bright no matter where the throttle is. I am now leaning towards the stator. The stator seems to ohm out fine with a fluke meter but what should the stator be putting out for voltage at idle? The stator has 3 voltage coils; AC lighting coil, DC Chassis coil, and DC system coil. Anyone have some input to help me out on this?

Premium Features