• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 M8000 SE

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
In the process of trying to sell my 850 Poo. LOVE IT. The thing seriously rips, and I love the Axys chassis. No reliability issues with Poo since I started with them in 2012. Never had to leave one in the lot because it wouldnt run. Never been towed out. Never had to take one to the dealer (other than jackshaft update on a 2013). Been flawless for me.

Anyway... found something I need... “need” some cash for and I am figuring that the 850s value will drop significantly come snowcheck. So the plan is to sell the 850 if I can get decent money for it (otherwise I’ll keep it) and pick up a new 2018 M8000 SE. They are cheap. I’ve been wanting to try Cat for a few years and think this is a good time to finally do that.

So few questions-

Are the shocks on the SE rebuildable? Figure if I can have them revalved they will be as good or better than the shocks on some of the higher end models.

Is a guy giving much up with 2.6” powerclaw compared to the 3”? Anyone run an X3 and have thoughts on that vs the 3” powerclaw? Would be cheaper to go X3.

Whats the scoop on the intake sucking snow? Is it happening at the dash or somewhere under the hood? Some sort of update kit?

Are grippers really necessary?

Anything I should be aware of with the SE models vs say the Sno pro or Mtn Cat?

Thanks

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
the SE shocks are 100% rebuildable and are actually really good shocks, IMO floats are good when dialed, but they have there own set of issues that coilover springs do not.

the 3.0 track is an all around awesome track, the 2.6 is as well but lacks the grip in the deep soft snow. If you are riding more set up conditions the 2.6 will 100% do the job. I would not say the 3.0 is a MUST, but if you are riding the 2.6 and feel its holding you back the 3.0 upgrade would not be a bad move.

The intake sucking snow can be fixed fairly easy. Mine just needed a couple thin strips of gorilla tape. Mountain fit offers a kit to repair it OR if you wanted to spend the move you could buy the 2019 intake which fixed the problem completely

most will say the 2016-2018 skis suck. some like em, but most dont. Grippers work well and are cheap

I would not be opposed to getting a SE. the only thing you are really missing out on is the track(discussed above), LED headlight and Float package.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
The 2.6 does very well but the 3.0" is a damn beast!

You will need to run scratchers down anything over a few miles down the trail. No rear cooler on cats.

The shocks are rebuildable/valve changes.

As far as snow intake. That's happens in two places. And easily corrected.

1. The hood doesnt get properly put on or reseated around the air box after removal.

2. The underside air intake screens on the 2018's dont seal very tight (flex and warpage at the seam.). You can apply a thin strip of gorrilla tape to the underside to fix it, or might be able to order 2019 screens which have extra screws from the top to secure it tight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Just backing what's already been said

Shocks are unlabled zero pros. All fox, all rebuildable. I bought a pair for my 2016 LTD because they're cheap, and got them revalved.

the 2.6 track is good, better if you cut the free standing fingers. The 3.0 is still the best track going IMO. I just put one on my axys this year.

the intake stuff is real, lots of info here on it.

If I were to buy a holdover cat, it would probably be the SE for the same reasons.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Same as what others have said. FYI you can upgrade to the new 2019 ski bottoms that are getting good reviews for $70 each and reuse most of the hardware. Might need to cut the spindle axles off a little bit or buy the new ones.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Personally I had both. The 3.0 track no doubt powers through way more. I would pay maybe $1000 more for the mountain cat. Otherwise save money and get se

Premium Features