• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 bogging

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
In my mind, the spark is stronger with smaller gap. It takes less energy to make the spark with smaller gap.

In other way, it needs richer air/fuel mixture to kill the spark when the gap is smaller.

Thats why i wanted to try reducing the gap, because we cant lean the air/fuel mixture, or make the ignition stronger at the moment.

Rode this weekend and switched back to stock plugs and sled ran terrible. Went back to the hotter plugs and all is good. Wish I remembered the feeler gauge and wish it was a warmer weekend and I would have tried playing with the gap. Maybe this weekend. On another note I had a customer call me this morning and he mentioned that Polaris has indeed released a new map. I cannot confirm if this is true but maybe a dealer on here can respond?

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Rode this weekend and switched back to stock plugs and sled ran terrible. Went back to the hotter plugs and all is good. Wish I remembered the feeler gauge and wish it was a warmer weekend and I would have tried playing with the gap. Maybe this weekend. On another note I had a customer call me this morning and he mentioned that Polaris has indeed released a new map. I cannot confirm if this is true but maybe a dealer on here can respond?

Yes its true. I have mine scheduled to get done on Friday.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Been gapping our plugs up here since 2016 when we were having issues blowing out spark. Usually gap to .018 for our boosted setups.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Sled at dealer with recoil issue and he put the new map in it as well.

With 30-40cm's coming Wednesday, and a scheduled tower inspection on Thursday....going to get a test day in too!!!

Will report back as soon as I'm back.

OTM

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Sled at dealer with recoil issue and he put the new map in it as well.

With 30-40cm's coming Wednesday, and a scheduled tower inspection on Thursday....going to get a test day in too!!!

Will report back as soon as I'm back.

OTM

How about some more info on the "new Map" or what have you been told ?

I haven't had a chance to swing over to the dealer lately.

P
Jan 29, 2019
First test run new map!
No more boggins!!!!

Havnt Done anything to the sparks, just new map and it it is a new motor, happy now, maybe lost little torque in the middel (can be wrong here)

But onley 6,5h on the breakin, 28,5 h on the display

N
Aug 26, 2018
Glad to hear about the reflash, Ill be calling my dealer in the morning to see when they can do mine. Thanks for the updates.

P
Jan 29, 2019
today i have a run for 80 km, it bogged twice, and now it over revs 8500-maybe 8600 sea lvl, befor the mapping 8400 rpm

got the "DET" error code, restart and all was good

The rpm hold is worse after the mapping, now you have to break harder to stop pulling

Overall it works better, but still isus, going to set the gap tonigth to .5mm on the sparkplugs

i have stock clutch 72g here in sweden

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
today i have a run for 80 km, it bogged twice, and now it over revs 8500-maybe 8600 sea lvl, befor the mapping 8400 rpm

got the "DET" error code, restart and all was good

The rpm hold is worse after the mapping, now you have to break harder to stop pulling

Overall it works better, but still isus, going to set the gap tonigth to .5mm on the sparkplugs

i have stock clutch 72g here in sweden

Is something different with the international model? Sea Level weights for my 155 2.6 RMK are 10-74s...?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Ya I would guess you are hitting the rev limiter with too light of weights. That could be why you saw det and could even be your bog.

maurfello

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2009
Washington
When people are experiencing bogg, what are the snow conditions? I have experienced bogg but only in 2 + feet of blower pow. Truly interested as I have an 850 with 350 miles and started to get the bogg at 250 miles.... The last hundred as I stated before was in deep blower pow. Thanks in advance.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Updated fuel map installed and ready to roll.

Heading out to West Yellowstone tomorrow, so we'll see how it does.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Ya I would guess you are hitting the rev limiter with too light of weights. That could be why you saw det and could even be your bog.

I've been thinking that could be the cause of some of the (top end/ acceleration) bogs people are describing. Especially people that experience it after break-in mode, it could be from the sled "waking up" and then the weights that worked well in break-in mode are too light for the added power.

My 800 will do this at my house at 4500', it falls on its face of you punch it hard, basically the engine pre-emptively cutting out to prevent over-rev since there isn't enough load on the engine. But once I get to about 7500' it won't do it at all since that's what I'm clutched for.

Premium Features