• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tunnel Dump on MCX Nytro - Stock Tunnel

Brutis20

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I have got a plan to use my current muffler and tunnel dump it on my stock tunnel. The plan is to install the muffler under the rear of the tunnel and have it exit out the back just above the sno flap (cut hole in tail piece). I have talked to MCX and no problem, also talked to a muffler shop and all I got to do is mount the muffler and they will run the 2.5" muffler extension from the Turbo to the muffler for a good price.

My question is if I mount the muffler (4.5" OD) under the tunnel in the back, is there risk of the track hitting it if bottoming out? the bottom of the muffler would be ~ 5.5" down from the tunnel. I know for normal riding this will be fine but if I bottom out I don't know har far the skid/track will come up. I was going to remove the shock and try this. Anybody have any experience with this?

As per below the muffler would sit about here but under the tunnel.

Tunnel1.jpg
[/IMG]

UnderTunnel1.jpg
[/IMG]

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
Mine was like that, bought it that way so it will work. You can let the air out of the shocks and cycle the skid and see what you need for clearance. That's a lot of cutting and welding if your having it done by somebody. We ripped all of that off and made a short tunnel dump (no muffler) out the front, by the small cooler. It's not that loud, buddy has been running like that for years.

S
Sep 22, 2010
North of Sweden
Me and my buddy was planing for the exact same thing but we came to the conclusion that it wouldnt work if you bottoming out or you have a failuring suspension. im looking forward to if you got it to work.Keep us updated whit pics.

Brutis20

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Just might work...

So I let the air out of the rear shock as per pic. There is ~ 5" worst case scenario. I think I am going to go a head and try this. Right now I am just debating on running the exhaust out the back of tunnel or keeping it in this may eat up my snow flap but will look cleaner. Will mount it up and take i to the muffler guy. He quoted me earlier under $170 to tie this in. I would do it myself but I am not that good with welding light suff yet. There will be ~ 1" of room, I think this is OK for a worst case scenario as I would probably fab something up anyway (widdle a stick) if my suspension would completely fail.

Let me know what you guys think. Ignore the haywire for now...

TunnelDump1.jpg

TunnelDump2.jpg

TunnelDump3.jpg

TunnelDump4.jpg

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
you need to elevate the front of the sled.....and check again. Or did you put the milk crate under the very back to simulate going thru a creek?

Agreed, though remember the TS skid is coupled, so the rear of the skid will not be able to compress a large amount without the front of the skid also compressing. TS vid is embedded, check out section at 6:30 in video.

A coupled skid is a benefit in this instance. I know that with my gen 1 Kmod that isn't coupled, it is possible to compress the rear suspension ONLY at the back and have the track hit the muffler. My muffler is pretty small (height wise) as well.

To gain some more clearance, you can straighten your rails too. This will bring the rear wheels down a little bit in comparison to the rest of the suspension.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

Brutis20

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
So I checked it out with the shock depressured and put the back on the crate. Sure enough there is only about 2" of room. I still don't know which way I will go now, as the chances of this happening are slim. I may just dump the exhaust straight off the turbo down and to the rear about 8" long. It may be a bit loud but may try it. If not I may just weld on a turnout to the ehaust pipe how it is now and see if that helps. I don't feel like pulling my skid out and modifying my cooler. Anyone see any issues with these two ways of going?

Brutis20

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Yes, to haul fuel and also keep the intake from freezing. I cut a straight pipe and will see how it will sound, may be too loud.

B
Dec 18, 2007
Rode with a straight pipe tunnel dump was louder than a normal MCX but not bad. Never been in snow conditions where the difference was so noticable but the tunnel dump was defintly less prone to icing. I was pulling less than 8 psi on my 270 then after a good de ice was back up to 17.

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
I fixed the filter on mine
I wrapped the aluminum filter in a humidifier filter and wrapped that in Flo rite material
The circumference is double and what little snow sticks just brushes off, never ices up
I like the sound with the muffler, there must be a way to pack 10 liters of fuel and leave it alone

Brutis20

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Here is what I fabbed up. Not the prettiest but hopefully it will work. Everything is just bolt on incase it doesn't. I am probably going to still weld a turnout on the exhaust to try that for the quieter option.

I am still unsure if this exhaust will plug or not?? I may make a deflector shield facing forwards but not sure yet.

Onething I noticed is that it is less bobbly on the idle and bottom end w/o the muffler, but this could be just me...

Also loking for a smaller muffler I can put underneath.

Let me know what you guys think?

Won't be able to try it in deep snow until next weekend.

TunnelDump6.jpg

TunnelDump5.jpg

TunnelDump7.jpg

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
Nice work. It may plug with snow though facing back like that. You could cut the outlet some more on the forward edge to try and prevent it from catching snow.

Premium Features