• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pull Start (Recoil) Failure

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
So my pull cord pooched @ 25 hours. Sled left 70 deg F (20C) garage..ran all day and 100 feet before I was going to park it for the day....pulled out a mile of pull cord and failed to start.

Dealer says it's a bearing but ... whatever.

Is there a known issue with the pull cord? Assuming its not a 850 problem but common to the poo's. My dealer is great, but it's a week before parts arrive to fix.

Intel???

OTM

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
This is the first recoil failure on a Polaris I have heard of. Whatever the failure once its fixed I wouldn’t worry about it. Peeps can rag on about other problems with polaris, but they have always had solid working recoils.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
This is the first recoil failure on a Polaris I have heard of. Whatever the failure once its fixed I wouldn’t worry about it. Peeps can rag on about other problems with polaris, but they have always had solid working recoils.

Same here... I have owned 24+ Polaris sleds over the last 45 years and not one recoil failure other than broken rope.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Yeah, the rope was perfect. Something in the mechanism. I looked at parts online and i'll bet the ratchet mechanism. Prolly order a spare what ever it was ...just in case.

Good to know it's not something common......and it isn't the crank bearings!!!! LOL.

OTM

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
As said ....super rare to have a recoil failure on Polaris, most dealers would not stock one (not that that helps you). Should be a warranty item.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Riding fine powder there could just be ice in there. Un thaw or snap the rope a few times.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
My recoil on my 2016 Polaris Axys RMK 800 broke. The case cracked around the round part of the recoil case. I'd never seen it before. I pulled it apart on the trail and left it where i could find it later. The rest of the day I started the sled off the clutch, which was easy but a PITA. It was warranted.

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
My 850 has 12 days of mountain riding. In those days, I have had about 4 instances where I pulled the rope and the pull start mechanism 'slipped'. The rope pulled with suddenly almost no effort and made a funny sound that definitely was different from the motor turning over. The next pull was back to normal.

My previous Polarises have never done this.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
my buddies '16 had the recoil fail about 2 weeks ago. it would suck about 1ft of rope back in, just enough to get it started.
closest dealer actually had one in stock:face-icon-small-sho, back up running the next day.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
My 850 has 12 days of mountain riding. In those days, I have had about 4 instances where I pulled the rope and the pull start mechanism 'slipped'. The rope pulled with suddenly almost no effort and made a funny sound that definitely was different from the motor turning over. The next pull was back to normal.

My previous Polarises have never done this.

I've got about 50 hours on mine, and it will do this exact same thing maybe once a day, probably every other. You go to give'er and the rope just pulls out with no effort and a clicking sound. It sucks when your ready for resistance and you find the end of the rope instead.

Also never experienced it before with other sleds.

Curious if the recoil has changed, haven't had an 850 one apart yet.

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
And I thought it was just me!! My 850 has been slipping on the recoil mechanism on occasion since Day 1. On the odd pull it slips or just releases. Warranty item #1.

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
And I thought it was just me!! My 850 has been slipping on the recoil mechanism on occasion since Day 1. On the odd pull it slips or just releases. Warranty item #1.

Have you tried getting it replaced on warranty? I'm guessing they won't because it won't reproduce in the shop.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
This is a different recoil than what we are used to.

It's not a metal starter cup bolted to the fly wheel with windows in it for a metal dog to catch.

It's now plastic for one, and uses a plastic against plastic to pull start.

Every 850 I've seen so far does those symptoms mentioned above atleast once a day. 1 person I know has already had to get his replaced under warranty and mine is beginning to act like his was now that I've gotten quite a bit of miles on it.

You can actually see the internal view here on this link.
Item #4 is the replacement for the 800 starter cup.

https://www.polarispartshouse.com/o...electrical-ignition-system-all-options-600941

chriswelters

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2009
Ishpeming MI
Mine has slipped twice recently. Sled has 670 miles on it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
f66862f96fa7e45f7b4151c57992d8df.jpg

Premium Features