• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 with 5500 trail miles

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Imo the 850 is the best sled polaris has produced but there have definitely been more issues than are acceptable. I would agree that the bearing issues are an easy remedy for 2020. It doesn't appear to be at this point, but if "some dude named dan" lol is right and the cylinder finish turns out to be a problem, it is a very big deal. Btw- Dan is a well respected motorhead who knows his stuff, although at times it seems as he is pushing his own motives which are the almighty $$$. My biggest concern longterm is the possible cylinder finish/piston wear issue. Which has really only been brought up by Dan but there are some top ends that have failed. That's why I'm glad to hear of these higher mileage motors. Hard to believe they can ride that much but there are a cpl of guys on hcs that say they have 5-6k on them already. Btw, Bigten is an avid hater on the polaris forums, it doesnt matter what the conversation is, he will find a way to bring about negativity into any thread.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Btw, Bigten is an avid hater on the polaris forums, it doesnt matter what the conversation is, he will find a way to bring about negativity into any thread.

You call it negativity, I call it the truth...

...and it's not just Polaris, I don't understand how Doo sells mtn sleds either...

Last edited:

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
So then we should all ride arctic cat because poo and doo cant build a mtn sled?? Oh, and you say there the best and you only speak the truth......

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
I for one do not understand why there is so much anger and negativity on this forum? what happened to riding a snowmobile and enjoying the mountains with friends and family? I don't care what you ride, they will ALL have problems. I don't understand why some people seem to be happy when someones brand X breaks down. I ride with lots of Cats, Doos and Poo. we all throw crap at each other but laugh while doing it. Ive loaned my Poo's out to friends when there cats or doos have broke down. And ive ridden there Cats or Doos when im broke down. The important part is being on the snow having fun. Big10 your welcome to sharing your opinion, but when you say that Poo and Doo CANT build a mtn sled....then that's just flat wrong. Can Poo improve some things, sure. But Cat also has some things they can improve on also. Thats what keeps this sport going and pushing each other.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
I for one do not understand why there is so much anger and negativity on this forum? what happened to riding a snowmobile and enjoying the mountains with friends and family? I don't care what you ride, they will ALL have problems. I don't understand why some people seem to be happy when someones brand X breaks down. I ride with lots of Cats, Doos and Poo. we all throw crap at each other but laugh while doing it. Ive loaned my Poo's out to friends when there cats or doos have broke down. And ive ridden there Cats or Doos when im broke down. The important part is being on the snow having fun. Big10 your welcome to sharing your opinion, but when you say that Poo and Doo CANT build a mtn sled....then that's just flat wrong. Can Poo improve some things, sure. But Cat also has some things they can improve on also. Thats what keeps this sport going and pushing each other.

Wow!! There are actual adults that still post on Snowest. Everyone should read his comments above and remember what these forums are here for. Thanks.

N
Mar 7, 2018
...but you have ridden in the mountains yes? So you know that full throttle in deep snow on a stock machine yields 30-35 mph, except probably Timbres 850 which I am sure is good for 50 mph bone stock LOL. Since you are from MN I also assume you run 60-70 mph with the same throttle setting as it takes in the mtns to do half that.

You ever heard of gearing and torque multiplication? Going a slower speed at the same throttle position doesn't inherently mean the engine is working harder, especially with a CVT.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Well so far its no prob, and i dont think its going to be, according to some dude named dan he dosent like the way the hone comes from the factory, than all the people like big 10 pipe up and get on the crappy hone bandwagon, with no real failures and problums comeing from it , so i chock it up to people looking for this thing to fail, but it is not happening... i think the real story with these engines are they f-ed up assembeling them, they used too much silicone with the case halfs and some excess would come off and block an oil line, takeing out the motor, or the pto main would walk over and hit the crank.... since this has happend they have re-vamped the assy line to remedy these probs.... this whole thing has been a prob with production and not with the motor itself, mechanically if you ask me its fine.... and the failures got super over hyped on here

Again like I've posted to others, before you go saying (some dude named Dan says) you yourself need to do some research on this dude named Dan. He is very knowledgeable about Polaris motors, even more so then most of their engineers are. He knows what he's doing when it comes to Polaris and offers a very nice warranty for his own rebuilds, don't think I've seen that with other builders out there, I know I've had BJ at SHR do some work for me and never offered a warranty on his rebuilds not that anything bad happened but nice peace of mind to have. No I don't work for Dan or do I ride Polaris but I want to if they can get their motors figured out.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Who is this Dan you speak of?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

N
Dec 18, 2007

Well said! I rarely post here but used to come on here to find good info. Now it's worse than Facebook. Indy Dan's ridiculous "the sky is falling" posts seem to have made it much worse here this year. All his fans blindly jumped on his bandwagon and get very defensive whenever there is a positive 850 post.

Premium Features