• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is a 850 worth the extra money

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
New technology is hard to beat in three years the new sleds will be that much better. I weighted my 850 with 76 grams here for 1500 ft it's the real deal rode with an 850 163 doo similar miles around 400 each. I would not buy a ski doo.

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
Still happy

Riding the CD area out of Dubois. Still have the same clutching it came with, which I knew would not be correct. Have been waiting for the dealer to let me know what will work best, as I don't like to spend money experimenting. Despite the current clutching, this sled has power, much more so than my 2015 800 RMK had. I am waiting for the 64 weights and different springs that are now being recommended. This change does not surprise me as in the past, all of my RMKs came with weights too heavy for the CD/togwotee riding area. Manufacturer has to pick some base point and I understand that. 850 is a new motor and it takes some riding time by the experts to fine tune.

To me, the 800 is still a great power plant. I had several and they worked flawlessly. Comments about price are basically correct...it costs much more to get the 850. Saving several thousand dollars is a real issue. But when i get on my 800, I still have a lot of fun. While I have never had a turbo, I have watched many who do have issues...they seem to be always tinkering to get the right boost for the right altitude, temp. etc. Some get finicky when starting. I have always been stock (clutching excluded) which allows me to ride rather than tinker. That is my personal preference. I have a lot of respect for those who can work with these motors, turbos, clutching, etc. They are the ones who have often given the manufacturers the knowledge to make the sleds better.

My two cents. Enjoy the ride on whatever you have.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Riding the CD area out of Dubois. Still have the same clutching it came with, which I knew would not be correct. Have been waiting for the dealer to let me know what will work best, as I don't like to spend money experimenting. Despite the current clutching, this sled has power, much more so than my 2015 800 RMK had. I am waiting for the 64 weights and different springs that are now being recommended. This change does not surprise me as in the past, all of my RMKs came with weights too heavy for the CD/togwotee riding area. Manufacturer has to pick some base point and I understand that. 850 is a new motor and it takes some riding time by the experts to fine tune.

To me, the 800 is still a great power plant. I had several and they worked flawlessly. Comments about price are basically correct...it costs much more to get the 850. Saving several thousand dollars is a real issue. But when i get on my 800, I still have a lot of fun. While I have never had a turbo, I have watched many who do have issues...they seem to be always tinkering to get the right boost for the right altitude, temp. etc. Some get finicky when starting. I have always been stock (clutching excluded) which allows me to ride rather than tinker. That is my personal preference. I have a lot of respect for those who can work with these motors, turbos, clutching, etc. They are the ones who have often given the manufacturers the knowledge to make the sleds better.

My two cents. Enjoy the ride on whatever you have.

I'm not trying to argue or disagree with ya, just a cpl of things to point out. Your 15' rmk doesn't have the 800ho. The 16-18' pro rmk w/ the axys chassis and the 800ho is a MUCH better sled than the older chassis. I think you would feel the same about most things if you upgraded to a 18' 800 as well. The 850 is definitely a better, more powerful motor than the 800ho, but It feels about the same going from a 15 800 to the 800ho as it does moving up to the 850 from the 800ho. Also, the newer turbo kits are basically pull and go. Set your boost, clutch it and put fuel in it. Things have come a long way. Clutching is the one thing most people looking for that extra performance will do, turbo'd or na. It's just more finnicky when your boosted, but once you get them dialed in- Hang on, you're in for a ride.

A
Is the 850 worth it?
Ohh yeh.
I Snowchecked mine and a buddy picked up a 19 all black 800 from the same dealership. I know the price difference was less than $1000 between the two. Knowing that it’s without a doubt worth more on re-sale and the additional power is hard to match for $1000 in the aftermarket options.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
2019 800 comes with the new front end but not the upgraded wiring, engine mounting, light weight hifax(big deal), shorty running boards, and SLS springs on shocks.

So there is more than just the motor with 850 sleds that you are getting.
With that being said, I brought in a couple 2019 800's because of reliability and they are without a doubt snappier.

K
Oct 7, 2018
2019 800 comes with the new front end but not the upgraded wiring, engine mounting, light weight hifax(big deal), shorty running boards, and SLS springs on shocks.

So there is more than just the motor with 850 sleds that you are getting.
With that being said, I brought in a couple 2019 800's because of reliability and they are without a doubt snappier.

are the lightweight hifax and shorty running boards the same on the 2019 snow check 800 vs the 850? I would think that would be an in season detail.

Also, would a beginner to intermediate rider be able to tell that much of a difference from a '19 800 to a '19 850?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
are the lightweight hifax and shorty running boards the same on the 2019 snow check 800 vs the 850? I would think that would be an in season detail.

Also, would a beginner to intermediate rider be able to tell that much of a difference from a '19 800 to a '19 850?

Only the 850 gets the new hifax and shorty running boards.
I would say the new shorty boards are the biggest difference between those two mentioned items.

Soon as you squeeze the throttle you'll notice a difference. The 800 feels 'snappy'. I haven't put them next to each other but I would bet the 800 never leads even though it feels snappier.

Premium Features