• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Connecting rod failure

K
Feb 18, 2019
Hey everyone, so Im new to snowest forum and I’m hoping I can get some good feed back on my broken down pro.. I have a 2014 rmk pro 800 with apx. 1700km. Only mod is a ggb can. I was heading up the trail to do some riding when my sled popped a DET code and started knocking really badly. After doing a compression test I found that the cylinder on the PTO side had 93psi. I tore it apart and found the connecting rod bearing on the crank shaft was pooched. I’m now pulling the motor out and will probably be bringing it to a dealer to do the rest of the repairs. It seems very odd that a rod bearing would go with only 1700km. What could have caused this? And what can I do to avoid it from happening again ?
Also I only run 91 oct. fuel and Polaris VES oil.

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Rod bearing

Sounds like big end bearing. You might find that rod damaged the lower half of the engine case if so they can be welded. Going to a expensive repair. Might want to check into remaned motor. I would turn the oil pump up or add some to every tank.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
It is odd that it would fail that soon. However, I can tell you this, my 15 and my buddies 15 were identical sleds. Mine came from the factory 90:1 oil ratio. His was set at 45:1. Its possible your oil pump failed, lines came off or it was just way out of spec for adjustment. Do yourself a favor, make sure you turn up the oil pump, get a properly vented cap and IMO run a splash of oil in your fuel as well. Everyone I know who's done this has not blown up there pro 800. Including a friends turbo 14 pro 800 with over 2100 miles. Good luck

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
There's a few things that can cause a rod bearing to go. Detonation, lack of oil, rust from not being stored properly.

Premium Features