• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Interesting Fix Kit/08 Head Characteristics vs. 2010 CFI 800 Update.... My Analysis

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I've installed a couple of kit's now and have found some interesting (to me anyway) fueling characterisitcs of the Fix Kit with the 08 head combo versus the 2010 Update combo. The huge mid-range fueling that the 2010 update needed to prevent mid-range driveability issues is not consistent or necessary IMO with the fix kit and 08 head.

I have to say that I was very leary about using Wiesco's especially in a motor that is very prone to the widely discussed "Cold Shot" issues. I wanted to run the Terra Alps kit that uses a Suzuki cast piston and billet head but couldn't seem to get my hands on the product.

Here's a few pics of the in-house Polaris Tech taking pride in her work.

DSCF2171.jpg

DSCF2172.jpg

DSCF2173.jpg

DSCF2167.jpg

DSCF2170.jpg

I have been running a PCV, Koso EGT's and AFR on this sled for 2 years prior to this season. I added both after the first ride of the sled being new. The mid range and tip-in throttling was horrible and dangerous. You could not stand up and ride the sled without going over the bars. After adding the PCV, the mid-range runnability was improved 250% however, the exhaust temps were always off the chart. Even after adding more fuel in the mid than what SLP's PCV map and dynotech's did, I could still never get the mid temps and AFR's ratio to ever be what I feel were "SAFE".

With the 2010 update on my sled, you could not hold the throttle for more than 2-3 seconds in that light throttle mid-range area without the temps going to 1,350-1,400 plus degrees (and continue to climb) and the AFR going to 18-20:1. I could add so much fuel that the engine would gargle and blubber and in fact rich bog out and die.

The other thing that didn't seem normal was EGT's at idle would always be about 550'-625' F. I could add more fuel to the PCV and temps wouldn't change. Even to the point of stalling the motor.

I even tried subtracting fuel in these areas as sometimes too much fuel can cause high temps and burn in the pipe. No change in temps would ever occur.

I decided to keep all of the mapping in the ECM and PCV the exact same and tune from there. I know many recommeneded going with the 08 mapping but I remembered back in 08 and 09 some had to add a splash of race fuel to fend off deto back in the early days of the 800 CFI and didn't want to have to doo that. I also like to do things in steps to try and get clear and concise data.

After teardown and inspection at 600 miles on mine and 400 miles on my customer's, both had hairline cylinder skirt cracks (mag side) and mine had nicasil delamination. Both are 2009's. I would recommend anytime the stock pistons are replaced, to replace the monoblock.

Very small crack, look at the line about .5" beyond the tip of the pick
DSCF2179.jpg

Notice the delamination of the nicasil
DSCF2180.jpg

My in-house Polaris tech and I installed the Fix kit with an 08 head, SLP pipe/can and running the 2010 Update map, (1st) with yellow injectors, and running the Stoutner 162 map as it was before.

Now at idle, the EGT's are running between 350'-425'F depending on coolant temp.

Now at steady light throttle mid-range throttle position, EGT's are 950'-1150'F after 4-5 seconds and go to about 1275' after 10 seconds.

Full throttle EGT's are about 100' Cooler. After about 5-10 seonds, temps are about 1125'-1175'F. Before the work they would be about 1,250'ish.

I find this very interesting. Of course this is ONLY 1 SLEDS' RESULTS. It leaves me with a few questions...

How much of an effect is the 08 head having on these results?
How much of an effect is the Fix Kit having on these results?

I removed my AFR gauge so I don't have any AFR results but I am guessing they will parallel the EGT's. Sled is pulling 64 grams and running 8,350 R's at 4,500-5,500 ft. so I need to add a little there. Before it only pulled 62 grams at 8,000 R's. I am thinking the top end could be trimmed down a little on fuel but I am pretty happy with how it's pulling. The fix kit definately has a little more torque in the deep stuff than the 2010 update has.

As for the Cold Shot issue, I have found that drilling an additional bypass hole the same size as the factory hole 180' degrees in the thermostat has made a huge improvement on the drastic coolant temp swings after engine restart. This is something that Carl's cycle was doing to their 860's back in 08 and 09 and where I got the idea from.

DSCF2199.jpg

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Here is a blurry pic of a t-stat that I removed from a Carl's 860 that I saved after replacing it back in 09/10 season. To modify the new one, I drilled a .125" or 1/8" hole opposite of the factory bypass hole. In my area and conditions, the temp swings after engine RE-start are much less than before.

photo.jpg

A

ajbond

Jan 29, 2010
Ogden
I just tied into the heads extra port in front of the tstat and ran a 3/8 line to a tee i installed in the main return. so my sled warms up faster and does not experience the cold shot to the same degree. temps will dip from 130 when shut down for a while and dip to about 97 when first stared but will stabalize at 105 very quickly. This is when mine was running of course.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Does this accomplish the same thing as the SLP bypass kit?

akrevrider

No it doesn't, although that is a great mod that I run also.

This (drilling a second bypass hole) is to try and equalize (probably to strong of a word) the amount of coolant that circulates through the engine during the warm up cycle while the t-stat is closed WITH the colder coolant that is dormant in the heat exchangers (coolers). This way there is more coolant that has been heated mixing with the colder coolant in the cooler. I am very surprised and very happy with the temp drops after a warm engine is shut off and restarted a few minutes later.

The factory OEM t-stat only has the 1 hole and this is used for "bypass coolant that circulates through the engine prior to the t-stat opening. I have tested 2 t-stats. With my Snap-On infrared temp gun, both t-stats will start opening around 110*-112*F and be fully open by 120*-122*F.

This helps with the cold shot while retaining a t-stat. Removing the t-stat altogether would definately help the cold shot issue however, I prefer running t-stats (especially with a forged piston) in case I ever have to loan out my sled.

The SLP bypass kit routes coolant that flows through the throttle bodies into the Mag side of the head. Testing by many experts (from what they told me) was the Mag side gets much hotter than the PTO side which ironically enough has coolant coolant flowing through the head. I strongly recommend it.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Fix Kit update

Engine: New cylinders, pistons/rings/head (Fix Kit by Mtn tech Perf) installed by Hatcher Pass Polaris,SLP coolant by-pass kit, PCV w/ DTR fuel maps with a multiple elevation map switch. The sled has strong smooth power from the bottom end to 8,000- 8,150rpms up a steep slope. 159-162 hp. PCV installed at 400 miles & the Fix Kit & pipe combo at 900 miles. Running the DTR D8-10 SLP Stoutner Jan 162 HP at WOT fuel map. Compression is 145 psi in both cylinders.

Exhaust: *NewAaen single pipe w/ new high flow can 7 HP gain 10 lb. loss. This set up is producing reliable power using a single pipe with a neighborhood friendly sound. The sound is a really nice and it screams when the throttle is cracked wide open. The silencer is the correct one tested by DTR to produce the right back pressure.

akrevrider

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I have had a couple pm's asking about the fix kit from MTNTK. I would still highly recommend this on all CFI 800's. I also believe adding an 08-09 stock head or aftermarket head will fully compliment the fix kit.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
DD, this is the first time I have had the time to read this thread that you started and it is very informative, detailed, and technical. Once again you have proved to be a great resource to the Polaris IQ & Pro sections here on SW and I wanted to personally thank you. I was a little surprised to see that your sled tech was so young. After seeing her holding your tools and helping you it brought a nice smile to my face and made my night. She reminded me of my daughter who is now 19 going on 30. Thanks again Dave for sharing your posts since they rock.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Thanks man. I feel the same about you and your posts. I think you were one of the first guys to go with the fix kit from MTNTK. I have a fix kit sitting on the shelf that I am installing in a '12 Silber Pro in the next few weeks.

I would have installed it last weekend but the in-house Polaris Tech had pneumonia and 103' fever last weekend. She would be pissed if I did it without her. She is now 6 but going on 16. She loves the ride too.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Thanks man. I feel the same about you and your posts. I think you were one of the first guys to go with the fix kit from MTNTK. I have a fix kit sitting on the shelf that I am installing in a '12 Silber Pro in the next few weeks.

I would have installed it last weekend but the in-house Polaris Tech had pneumonia and 103' fever last weekend. She would be pissed if I did it without her. She is now 6 but going on 16. She loves the ride too.

DD, Sorry to hear about your daughter I hope she feels better soon. I have also been thinking about the silber kit for my pro so I will be giving you a call soon and thanks for the kind words. I have been very pleased with the mtntk piston kit as well as you know.

Last edited:
Premium Features