• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Would you buy this sled?

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
10 RMK 155 with 2000 miles ... 600 miles on SLP 727 kit.

Frame up rebuild with parts powder coated in Summer 2011

Sled tunnel was wrecked and completely rebuilt by shop in Northern Utah.

No damage except WRP railings bent down an inch in the middle and kill switch broke.

Compression 120 each cylinder cold.

What should I ask about the sled?

What is a fair price?
engine_all.jpg

engine.jpg

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
With the problems you had on the other one, are you sure you want one that you know has been damaged? Seems like it might be another can of worms to SOME extent anyhow.

I'm sure with where you live, it's got to be a real pain trying to buy a sled... we all say "go look at it first"... but man, with that kind of drive, I get that it's got to be a hassle.

Are there any sledding buddies you know in the more "sled-centric" type areas who could check one out for you, to save some hassle maybe? I know I've looked at sleds for buddies in IA, WI, NE... same gig. Keep in mind, if you trust the guy looking at it, you could always get a sled shipped as well to save you on gas. Shoot, even someone on here with a good rep, shoot them $20 to go check out a sled (call it gas $$) and you'd have a reliable appraisal, they could shoot pics of any problem areas...

Just trying to think of an easier way for you to find something you can trust, and you'll KNOW what you've got coming without wasting $600 on a drive.

btw... I'd just assume it'll have those cuts from the rope around the pull handle:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton (sorry, had to throw that one in!:face-icon-small-hap)

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Well, it's very difficult to tell because the pics are so small and don't expand but something isn't quite right. It appears that the motor in the pic is carb'd. If this sled is titled as a 2010, then it has had an earlier motor, electrical system installed because the 600 HO carb'd motor was replaced with the CFI-4 600 on all 2008 RMK's and 2009 Shift's.

2007 RMK 600's had the option of the CFI-4 600 or the 600 HO carb'd motor. There were very few CFI-4's built in 2007. Most 2007 600's were carb'd.

2008 and newer RMK 600's were/are all EFI. 2008 used the CFI-4 motor and I have seen 2009-2010 with either a CFI-4 and CFI-2. The difference being a 2 injector or 4 injector motor. 2009 Shift's use the 600 CFI-2.

Because of your previous issue, I had tried to offer you a killer price on an excellent, dialed in sled. Being that your location is an issue, I would think staying with a stock bore motor would be in the cards, at least it would be for me.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Well, it's very difficult to tell because the pics are so small and don't expand but something isn't quite right. It appears that the motor in the pic is carb'd. If this sled is titled as a 2010, then it has had an earlier motor, electrical system installed because the 600 HO carb'd motor was replaced with the CFI-4 600 on all 2008 RMK's and 2009 Shift's.

2007 RMK 600's had the option of the CFI-4 600 or the 600 HO carb'd motor. There were very few CFI-4's built in 2007. Most 2007 600's were carb'd.

2008 and newer RMK 600's were/are all EFI. 2008 used the CFI-4 motor and I have seen 2009-2010 with either a CFI-4 and CFI-2. The difference being a 2 injector or 4 injector motor. 2009 Shift's use the 600 CFI-2.

Because of your previous issue, I had tried to offer you a killer price on an excellent, dialed in sled. Being that your location is an issue, I would think staying with a stock bore motor would be in the cards, at least it would be for me.

I think the sled you have for sale is excellent. If the sled you have was closer I would go fetch it.

Tne sled here is a 2010 chassis with a built 727 kit and the shop and builder is very well known in SLC. This 727 is carbed. I talked to the builder and he gave much more details to the sled than I provided in this topic. After reading what happened to my last purchase, the guy selling the 727 sled is "holding" it for me.

I provided no money down and get to fully inspect before any money is exchanged.

Being where I am I have asked a few non locals to go look for a sled but by that time the good ones are typically sold.

Seen a few great deals go by ... 2011 RMK Pro less than 200 miles for 7 grand. 2007 RMK 700 with 1900 miles at an estate sell sold for $2200 even tried to ask about a 2004 RMK 800 1300 miles for $1200 ... it sold in less than a day.

A Polaris dealer contacted me about a holdver 2007 RMK in the mid 5 price range. Talked with another dealer who had some rentals with complete rebuilds with hundreeds of miles on the rebuilds for some crazy prices. I think rentals can be great or a real pain. I had bought a rental and put 8,000 miles on it with no major issues. It is a fan cooled engine.

Since I am at least 6 hours from the nearest sled shop I want to go carbed. Seems easier to work on since I ride 7-10 K and once dialed in are fine.

If I don't get this sled I am gonna look at how to get the one you offered, that is if it is still available.

If that doesn't work then a road trip to an event like HAYDAYS with a couple local sled buddies splitting the expenses and drive time.

This trip is gonna be part family get together cause halfway there the wife is gonna visit family up in the mountains. Her side of the family are off road 4WD enthusiasts and know little about sleds. We have no issues with our Jeep.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I would think you would want EFI because of the exact reason you stated about a sled shop being 6 hours away. EFI there is nothing to play with, it adjust for temp, altitude, etc.

How often are you going to ride? I would think living in LA, you don't get out a lot. I'd go with a stock sled over a mod motor. Just my 2 cent.s

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I would think you would want EFI because of the exact reason you stated about a sled shop being 6 hours away. EFI there is nothing to play with, it adjust for temp, altitude, etc.

How often are you going to ride? I would think living in LA, you don't get out a lot. I'd go with a stock sled over a mod motor. Just my 2 cent.s

Agreed 100% with what he said, for exactly those reasons. There's a reason everyone runs efi now.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

If the family is healthy and we HAVE SNOW we ride about 20-30 days in a season and go on one multi day trip. End up riding 1000-2000 miles a season.

I'm less than 3 hours from groomed trails and less than an hour from downtown LA ... You guys gotta see a pic from the beach to the mountains and not the other way around. Can ride closer but its tough with a million other people standing in the way.

I understand EFI is reliable but if there are issues then what?

With a carbed sled I can go to the many local motorcycle shops since they have experience on those types/brands of carbs.

Carl's / SLP is a phone call away and $125 to ship the motor.

If the sled is really bad just do a road trip up north with a group and drop off the sled at a shop and ride the back up sled.

Plus I have a parts sled with a 2007 carbed 727.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Bought the sled 788 miles each way ... one the was back cut across Nevada next to the Rubies , thru Ely and Tonapah ... HWY 6 wow now that is in the middle of nowhere saved 3 hours of drive time.

Here is all it needs to make it perfect for my riding style

1 SLP 2 inch round vent (missing one)
2 WRP wide board kit ... driver side bent (could use 2 kits ... have a 2007 IQ want to fix up maybe)
3 Kill switch (broke)
4 Little taller handlebar riser
5 Idler wheels to help preserve the hyfax (slider wear uneven)
6 Anti ratchet drivers (has new track cause old track was beatin up)
7 side vents

Anybody with these items or proper part numbers please PM me.

Pics to come soon.

Should I move this to my sled build forum?

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Don't take this wrong, but you should probably do what you want to do and not ask us, as you seem to do what you want to without considering the advice that has been given.
You need to take that sled to a reputable shop and have it looked at, I would bet money that it is going to leave you stranded first time out and cost you more time and money/missed rides than it will cost you to drive it to a good shop.
When someone is selling a sled in the middle of sled country, and is willing to hold it for someone that lives 800 miles away, there are reasons:
1) Overpriced.
2) Something is wrong with it and they want it to be 800 miles away when the owner finds out what is wrong with it.
Not to be negative or bring you down, but you should really cover your rear here.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Don't take this wrong, but you should probably do what you want to do and not ask us, as you seem to do what you want to without considering the advice that has been given.
You need to take that sled to a reputable shop and have it looked at, I would bet money that it is going to leave you stranded first time out and cost you more time and money/missed rides than it will cost you to drive it to a good shop.
When someone is selling a sled in the middle of sled country, and is willing to hold it for someone that lives 800 miles away, there are reasons:
1) Overpriced.
2) Something is wrong with it and they want it to be 800 miles away when the owner finds out what is wrong with it.
Not to be negative or bring you down, but you should really cover your rear here.

Maybe the guy who held it for me is a nice guy.

Maybe his family has a off road business and as stated before saw what I went thru with the last sled and helped me out. Some of his family business has banners advertising on this site.

He had a few other off road vehicles at his home and store.

He even sent me to the local tire shop and they worked on my truck for free.

You are right it could melt down 5 miles down the trail. I doubt it but you never know until you try it.

I have a little more faith in my fellow man, you got to where I am located

I am near Reagan library in the land where the moto is Trust, but verify.

The information you all provided helped me verify this build was done right.

Thank you

Last edited:
Premium Features