• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

President Considering Closing Pubic lands

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
This is from ARRA, American for Responsible Recreational Access.

Department of Interior Document Highlights Threat to Access

A leaked Department of Interior (DOI) memo makes it clear that President Obama is considering restricting access to public lands by declaring as many as 17 areas in 11 western states as National Monuments. National Monument designations can be made by the President without input from Congress or other stakeholders. The DOI document says the areas “may be good candidates for National Monuments under the Antiquities Act…” States that have areas highlighted in the memo include, AK, AZ, CA, CO, MT, NM, NV, OR, UT, WA and WY. Click here to view the memo.

As outlined in a letter from Representatives Doc Hastings (R-WA), Ranking Member, House Committee on Natural Resources and Rob Bishop (R-UT), Ranking Member, House Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands, sweeping National Monument designations represent a serious threat to recreation including motorized access. Any OHV use would almost certainly be forever banned in areas designated as National Monuments, and riders would have no opportunity to formally weigh in on the process.

Go Here to make your voice heard

https://secure3.convio.net/arra/sit...in=true&JServSessionIdr004=xnapvkuo63.app334a

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My personal addition:

I am opposed to all future land access closures and designations that reduce public access.
If these plans are implemented then access will be reduced and limited to specialized groups of people who wish to limit others access simply because they disagree with it.
This is the wrong move by this administration.

I also went to Denny Rehberg's site and sent one there too as he will not accept the other form.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I'm afraid what we think has no influence on what they do, if he decides to close areas it will be because someone is supporting him and he will lobby for them and screw us. Like said they don't care about us, if that isn't obvious. Hopefully the next guy will want to be American like the rest of us and return our rights. Or like before we will have to stand up and fight to get them back whether it be political or not. Good luck and I hope for the best.

PhantomCat

Phantom Goblin
Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2008
NW Montana
I actually took the time and wrote a couple paragraph letter...instead of using the letter or the suggested letter. I did get back a response from Max Baucus.

Dear Glenn:

Thank you for sharing your concern regarding the designation of monument areas. Like you, I would be concerned about any designation proposals that do not take into account local views.

Interior Secretary Salazar has clarified that no decisions have been made to create new monument areas. He also confirmed that any new designations and conservation initiatives would build on local efforts and congressional input.

I believe that new monument designations should be locally driven, and have widespread local support. Montanans take pride in their stewardship of public lands, and should be included as collaborators in any discussion about their public lands. Rest assured that I will carefully examine any proposal that affects lands in Montana.

Thanks again for bringing your thoughts to my attention. It's always good to hear from folks back home. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future. You can also visit my website at http://baucus.senate.gov for more information on current issues that affect Montanans.

I got this 4-16-10

Just thought I would share!

Glenn

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I JUST got this groundbreaking, earth shattering, definative middle of the road post from Max:

LOL...oh wait...I already read it Phantom's post. LOL

Dear Scott:
Thank you for sharing your concern regarding the designation of monument areas. Like you, I would be concerned about any designation proposals that do not take into account local views.
Interior Secretary Salazar has clarified that no decisions have been made to create new monument areas. He also confirmed that any new designations and conservation initiatives would build on local efforts and congressional input.
I believe that new monument designations should be locally driven, and have widespread local support. Montanans take pride in their stewardship of public lands, and should be included as collaborators in any discussion about their public lands. Rest assured that I will carefully examine any proposal that affects lands in Montana.
Thanks again for bringing your thoughts to my attention. It's always good to hear from folks back home. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future. You can also visit my website at http://baucus.senate.gov for more information on current issues that affect Montanans.
Sincerely,

MB/jm

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
This is the only thing we can do. IMO we need to start our own Act, (Save Public Access) or something of that nature. But who of us has the time to start a chapter like that. We all have to work to support our familes, and don't have time to hob nob on capital hill. Our Represintives are to worried about realection! To start a war of that size.

Just my two penny's

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Got a better letter from Denny Rehberg.

Dear Scott:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Antiquities Act and the designation of land as national monuments. It's good to hear from you.

As you know, an internal memo from the U.S. Department of Interior was recently released which outlined plans to misuse the Antiquities Act to designate 13 million acres in 11 Western States. This figure includes 2.5 million acres in Montana. The plans would allow the President to circumvent public opposition and congressional oversight to designate land as a National Monument. For more than a century, the Antiquities Act has served a valuable function in the preservation of America's natural treasures, making it all the more tragic that it's now being misused for a 13 million-acre land-grab.

This is why I introduced H.R. 4754, which requires congressional approval of new National Monument designations in Montana. This requirement isn't unprecedented. Current law prohibits the extension or establishment of any National Monument in Wyoming without the express authorization of Congress. It's about preventing a good law from being abused, ensuring Montanans are heard and preventing a bureaucratic overreach. It's about making sure that we aren't rendered landless in our own state because a big-city politician thought it would be fun to shut us out of our land.

When it comes to land in Montana, we've got a long-standing tradition of working together to find consensus-based solutions. Circumventing that tradition by unilaterally carving out millions of acres with the stroke of a pen is not the American way.

Thanks again for contacting me. If you get a chance, I encourage you to visit my website at http://www.house.gov/rehberg where you can find the latest news about what's happening in Congress. Also, if you haven't already done so, please be sure to sign up for my free E-Newsletter at http://www.house.gov/rehberg/newsletter/ which will help keep you up-to-date with what is going on in Washington, DC and how it affects Montana. It's a good source for news stories, blog posts and to read what other Montanans just like you are saying.

Sincerely,
Denny Rehberg
Montana's Congressman

Premium Features