• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XCR cooling ??

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Hi,

Running a mod XCR motor in a Gen II RMK chassis and want to do some changes.

Has anyone run a inline thermostat on these? Wonder if the pump will dislike the closed stat at warmup?

Also, the ID of the running board edge-cooler is smaller than the inlet/outlet of the motor and the hoses. Is this a restriction to think about at all?

Thanks for looking:beer;

RS

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Xcr

RS:
I ran the XCR in a 01 Gen II chassis without the thermostat. I used the Edge water bottle in the line coming out of the head and going to the brake. I had a hose that had a bend in it that was the same size as the bottle. The other side of the bottle fit the large hose that goes to the brake. This is a constant circulation set up so I just let the machine warm up well before riding to prevent cold seize. The hose routing was out of the head and into the bottle, out of the bottle into the brake, out of the brake down the right side, accross the rear cooler and in the left side. Using the stock Gen II hose out of the left side and in the crossover. Out of the cross over into the water pump.

The XCR makes lots of heat but mine cooled fine. I made sure I ran scratchers in the hard pack and no problems.

Here is a link to a photo:
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60060

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Xcr

One more thing, in answer to your question about a thermostat restriction. The stock hose routing on an XCR is a 2 stage deal. When the thermostat is closed, water still circulated throught the crossover cooler. This is very much like the edge set up is. When the motor and front cooler get warm the thermostat opens to the rail and rear coolers and starts closing the front cooler off. Coolant is mixed in the water bottle to maintain a constant temp going into the motor. When it gets hot enough, the crossover cooler is shut off and the other coolers take over completely. Perhaps that is what you are trying to come up with. Look at the stock routing on a parts list and it may give you some insight. That set up had water moving all the time but I think the crossover restriction would be about the same as the smaller tube restriction that you are talking about.

If you are going with an after market in line themostat housing, I would be sure to T the lines before the thermostat so you will have constant circulation to the pump or you can even drill a hole in the thermostat so some water circulates even when it's closed. That shoiuld keep the water pump from burning up it the thermostat sticks. As you know the XCR WP is way expensive.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks BB454.

I really want to use a thermostat since I use a full CMX cooler, + edge coolers now. Truly believe the engine dont like 100 deg water coming OUT of it...

And yes, I will do something like what you suggest, make a bypass of some sort so I don't burn the pump. Just hoped someone would jump in and say they choked it of completely with no ill effects:p

My system now runs: Engine out - brake - cooler - coolant bottle - engine in.

Wanted the bottle on the way in for two reasons: prevent the hot coolant from popping the pressure cap and having an air-escape as the last thing before the coolant entered the motor.

RS

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Cooling

As you can see on mine, my bottle is on the outlet. I don't think you need to worry about hot coolant poping the cap, it's a pressure cap and the pressure in the complete system is what would make it open. I put my bottle in the out side so the full line is the same as the high point in the motor. If you put it in the inlet side, that may be hard to achieve. Also having it the same height allows space for an air cushion in the system when the coolant heats up.

Premium Features