• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MASSIVE SNOWFALL coming!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
http://powderchasers.com/forecasts/updated-snow-totals-new-england-west-1-2-feet-east-2-5-feet-west

In the West, all action turns to California through Saturday. Peak snowfall will happen Tuesday night into Wednesday (Warm followed by cold), and again Thursday night and Friday. Expect 9-14 inches by Wednesday morning and another 1-2 feet for Friday. The southern Sierra seems favored with Mammoth most likely scoring 4-6 feet at the summit by Friday afternoon. There is a distinct break on Thursday so if anyone is lucky, summits might pop (Miracle for Mammoth). Additional light or moderate snow will be likely Friday night into Saturday (5-8).

Below: Total snowfall in the Sierra through Saturday morning.
picture.php

Light to moderate snow is likely in many areas of the Rockies by Wednesday. Its going to be a quick 3-5 inches at upper elevations favoring central Idaho, Western Montana and perhaps the Wasatch with any luck. The Euro shows a chance of 5-10 inches for the highest peaks of the Wasatch (Northern areas are favored with SW flow as well as BCC) by Thursday morning. The GFS shows less.

In the Cascades, chase if your there for Wednesday with 4-7 inches likely above 4,000 feet (Baker may see higher amounts).

In Colorado, I am bullish for moderate snowfall for the highest peaks of the San Juan Mountains Thursday. 5-11 inches are likely above 9500 feet near Wolf Creek by late Thursday or early Friday (Most snow falls late Wednesday night into Thursday afternoon). Winds shift from the SW to the west Thursday afternoon shifting snow to most of the central and northern mountains. Crested Butte may fare best with 4-7 inches by late Thursday night followed by the I-70 corridor late Thursday and Friday (3-6 inches). Its possible that Friday morning sees some sneak up powder days for the I-70 corridor.

Below: Total snowfall in Colorado through Friday morning
colorado_4.png

Drive safely if you are chasing! In California you must carry chains on any non 4X4 (You will need to use them) and in some cases wacky rules require them on AWD. Look for possible road closures especially Friday morning on I-80 so plan back routes . The Weekend will deliver openings both Saturday and Sunday especially upper mountain.

ca_1.png

W
May 2, 2008
Northern Cali
We are ready out here. It has been a dismal season up to about two weeks ago. Since then we have gotten anywhere from 4 to 8 feet in March. A couple ski resorts got 35-40 inches in a 12 hour overnight about ten days ago. Looking at another 4-6 feet up high by Saturday. Better late than never I guess. Just have to love it when the Sierras put out crazy numbers:face-icon-small-ton

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I hope so ... olyone Cali ride this year.

Next week might be the big one ... 21-25.

Best not to jinx it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Rocky Mountain Sled Conditions added 2 new photos.

I really should never post models 10 days out......but as long as we all understand this will change.....here they are.....

The next 10 days will have 3-4 storms move thru the Rockies
( 1 This Thurs/Fri and another thru the weekend into next week....then again mid to late week).....

Im not saying you will see this amount in these places....but it does look to be active...and very good for some. It is spring after all...and we typically see big dumps in the mountains during spring.....Good luck to all!

2 different models....Possible total snow over the next 10 days.

28698501_1994662177454819_202525333035340746_o.jpg

28953947_1994662207454816_8231093623807201615_o.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
SNORKEL ALERT- SIERRA! 3-4 FEET LIKELY IN 24-36 HOURS

Quick updates are usually broadcasted while in chase mode. Today featured a glimmer of hope for Mammoth to open upper mountain (1-2 feet of blower) where skies went “bluebird” by 10 AM. That opened up hope as patrol began extensive avalanche mitigation on the upper mountain. The line at the mid station Gondola started around 11 AM.

Chair 23 (Old and one of my scariest rides in N. America) was rumored to be frozen with mechanical issues (That’s the norm). At 1 PM the upper mountain was about to pop (excitement was growing) when clouds scurried over the ridge tops (We saw it coming looking towards the valley). The bad news came at 1:15! “no upper mountain” My stomach dropped as it would have been the most epic conditions of the year (Cold blower).

First tracks this morning at Mammoth:
mammoth-1024x768.jpg

If your chasing to California expect 11-18 inches Thursday night (Highest amounts will be in the northern areas especially near I-80).

Friday will feature an additional 7-16 inches by 5PM. Snow intensity has me worried that many resorts may not open on Friday or have limited terrain. Less avalanche prone terrain will most likely open. The good news is that cold temps should mitigate avalanche concerns somewhat. Winds will be moderate to strong so temporary lift holds are likely. Its worth the wait for those chairs to spin (If it happens). In the southern Sierra near Mammoth amounts will be in the 9-15 inch range by Friday morning with continued moderate snow during the day. Snow may pick up late Friday into Saturday as higher intensity snowfall moves south (Mammoth).

Snow will be tapering in the north Friday night (Showers continue) while continuing moderately over Mammoth. Saturday will feature additional light snow for the northern Sierra while Mammoth may see a temporary break late AM through early PM (Not sure if it’s enough to open upper mountain). Snow showers may increase Saturday night before finally winding down on Sunday (Both Saturday and Sunday should see new terrain openings). Clearing is expected on Sunday.

In Colorado forecasts are calling for 5-10 inches. I am skeptical. Models display higher odds of deeper snow north of I-70. Look for spots near Winter Park, Eldora, Rocky Mountain National Park to see these amounts by late Friday morning. Other spots in Summit County should see less. In the south it’s possible that Crested Butte or areas of the San Juans score 4-8 inches for Friday.

The long range outlook shows some significant moisture entering the Sierra by Thursday next week. Temps are warm initially with cold air late in the week. This potent system should move over the Rockies late next week into next Saturday (Utah and Colorado may score).

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
My house in Incline Village (6800ft) just got 2ft of snow overnight. Currently 25deg. snow fall rates were 4" per hr around 10pm last night. And its not letting up. Coffee, dig out, then load up the pow slayer!

W
May 2, 2008
Northern Cali
Loaded up and ready. It got so bad today basically every major hwy in greater Lake Tahoe was closed at one time. We are heading to Yuba Pass for the roads and meadows if we can get up there in the morning. HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY TAHOE.

Premium Features