• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Did she blow up?

S
Jan 20, 2014
Well I was riding my 700 Xc sp tonight when my temp light started to blink I shut my sled off and checked my antifreeze level. Low... I don't know where it went but I didn't see any leaks. Filled it back up and went to start it up, wouldn't start, finally got it started and it just wants to die. I was able to idle it back to my house and as I got closer it required more and more throttle to make it move at a slow pace. I got about 100 yards from the garage and it died... Won't start not locked up but will not start. Any ideas?

I

im2fast4u

Jan 29, 2011
Head gasket

In my opinion its probably a head o ring or gasket...pull plugs and do a compression test...good luck

S
Jan 20, 2014
Ok here's an update, went out in the daylight and added some coolant. Came pouring out of the tunnel. Looks like I lost a pick and poked a hole in my cooler. Can't confirm yet I gotta pull the track to be sure. But can a cooler be patched? Or does it need to be replaced? I still have to do a compression test but i hope it's nothing to major.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
No reason you can't tig weld a hole in a cooler. Far more difficult to get at then to repair.

S
Jan 20, 2014
Huge gash in the cooler. Had my buddy try to aluminum weld it with no luck still leaks. Can the cooler be replaced? It's the one on the very far front of the tunnel. Also how about jb weld?

S
Jan 20, 2014
Well not good. I jb welded the cooler temporary until the new one I bought gets here. I checked compression 115 psi seems low to me, however It fired up and eats antifreeze i think I blew the head gasket...

I

im2fast4u

Jan 29, 2011
Head gasket

I wouldnt ride it until you replace head o rings....it should be very obvious when you remove the head...if not then it will for sure be the base gasket...the paper stockers suck good luck!

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Compression numbers vary alot from guage to guage, also depends on what elevation your at. I'm at about 1800' at home and on my guage most 700's are about 115 to 120 lbs. My guage is low compared to any others I have used. The O rings polaris uses for gaskets are available at any dealer and aren't alot, $12 to $14 apiece up here. Maybe pickup a winderosa top end kit, it'll give you everything you need for a reasonable price and I've always had good luck with them. Hate to say it but you've probably scuffed a piston, pull your exhaust valves and have a look. Hope it's not to bad.

S
Jan 20, 2014
Alright just pulled the head there was some moisture in it and minor scoring on the walls. Can anyone tell me how to add pics from my iphone? Also the biggest issue the thermostat has a piece of metal looks like a single roll pin stuck in it. I have pics just don't know how to upload them for not help. Thanks guys

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
How big a roll pin? It's not a piston ring retaining pin I hope. :face-icon-small-sho

Last edited:
S
Jan 20, 2014
Pin is equivalent to a roller bearing you would pull out of a trucks u-joint cap very small half inch long 1/8 maybe 1/16 diameter if I could upload pics I'd show you but I don't know how.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Did the thermostate fall apart? Did a waterpump bearing fail? Maybe the waterpump failed and that caused the overheating?

S
Jan 20, 2014
Thermostat did not fall apart it is still completely intact just has a pin stuck in the upper half of it. Not sure about the water pump or even how to check it.

image.jpg

Premium Features