• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DC Power on a PRO

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I have an inquirery from a few teams racing the Iorndog this year riding a Polaris 600 Switchback Pro R. They want to use our Solstice HID helmet mounted light.
Im not really familure with this sled.

Does anyone know if there is a DC power plug on this sled?

Thanks

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Stator Powered Halogen Helmet Light

I have the same question on running the stator powered Halogen Helmet Helmet Light on my Pro RMK. I ran the same set-up on the Dragon too.

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
All of the plugs are AC, not DC.

For DC, I had to run a fused wire to the battery. I spent a lot of time looking for a DC source and did not find one.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
All of the plugs are AC, not DC.

For DC, I had to run a fused wire to the battery. I spent a lot of time looking for a DC source and did not find one.

These guys are telling me there is no battery on their sled

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
These guys are telling me there is no battery on their sled

Sorry, let me correct my earlier post, I had to think about this a little more. Their is no regulated and switched DC power of high enough ampacity to run anything.

The DC power the sled generates is extremely choppy, as the system doesn't use the battery to stabilize it. I had lots of problems with my GPS when using the DC power, I had to wire straight into the battery.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Sounds like the Polaris plug is ideal. But you could have a turbo on as SkiBreeze stated. Would this item be useful? It's probably cheaper than buying the Po plug adapter. I'm not sure what your electrical tolerances/requirements are. Clicky on the pic

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Sounds like the Polaris plug is ideal. But you could have a turbo on as SkiBreeze stated. Would this item be useful? It's probably cheaper than buying the Po plug adapter. I'm not sure what your electrical tolerances/requirements are. Clicky on the pic

Thanks for the link. I had not seen that one before,Thats a bridge rectifier in a nice case.
we have rectifiers for around $5.00. So changing the ac to Dc isnt really a problem, But if there is good dc power on the sled theres no need to mess around with more wiring. I might be a good Idea to do a test and see how much DC is really available from the factory plug.
Im sure I can source the plugs and come up with an inexpensive hook up.
I'll head down to the local shop tomorrow.

Y

yamazoom

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I use the DC power plug that is attached to the headlight wiring harness under the hood. It is somewhat hidden but look closely and you will find a red/black wired standard power plug. I checked the voltage at idle with no load to be 14.4 volts. You can find these same plugs with wiring harness at Radio Shack. Just remember in some cases when you use the harness as an extension it will reverse red/black changing polarity. Always test with your multimeter before connecting your accessory. I have ran a wide band oxygen sensor and a Koso EGT off of it with no problems.

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
I use the DC power plug that is attached to the headlight wiring harness under the hood. It is somewhat hidden but look closely and you will find a red/black wired standard power plug. I checked the voltage at idle with no load to be 14.4 volts. You can find these same plugs with wiring harness at Radio Shack. Just remember in some cases when you use the harness as an extension it will reverse red/black changing polarity. Always test with your multimeter before connecting your accessory. I have ran a wide band oxygen sensor and a Koso EGT off of it with no problems.

That is an AC plug, not a DC plug

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Wow there is a lot of conflicting info in this thread.....

Where is the fuse for the DC power plug by the primary? The 2A one right there seems to be for the DC power plug.

But, one guy says the DC plug is 10A, one guy says its 4A, and one guy says the 2A fuse is for the AC by the headlights.

I need to run an oil pump, AFR gauge, and electronic boost gauge off of DC. I wonder if there is enough power on that plug?

Premium Features