• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken drive shaft

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
FYI, the exhaust side of the driveshaft insert is steel to handle the torque and the PTO side insert is aluminum. this is a 3 piece driveshaft glued together. looks like it will be strong, however if the PTO side bearing wiggles on the shaft it will probably wear the aluminum down quickly. We'll see

Last edited:

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Maybe it snowed over night and my guess is his drive belt got some snow on it from the vent on the top on the side panel vent when he started it. It needs a pre-filter on it to cure this problem. Everyhing may me spinning but in real life it's just the primary spinning nothing else or it's something else is wrong. Time will tell.:face-icon-small-sho

D

dropitbuster

Nov 28, 2007
Terrace B.C.
Chicken Little

The sky is falling!!!! The sky is falling!!!

JMO but why post this stuff before you really know what's going on? Snowmobilers are paranoid enough already about their new sleds breaking.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
The sky is falling!!!! The sky is falling!!!

JMO but why post this stuff before you really know what's going on? Snowmobilers are paranoid enough already about their new sleds breaking.

Dont you know thats the new thing. You got to post up every single problem you have right away.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
maybe the first post in this thread isn't a "post"

maybe its just a hole in the ground for the "post" to go in..???

if this doesn't make sense then maybe the "post" won't..

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I won't be able to post anything on the failure right now because the sled was brought back to the dealer yesterday before I got to see it.
I'm also courous because I've got a deposit on a pro 155 that is to arrive dec 1.
As soon as I know the facts I'll post it...

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I heard of this last week. A mod sled builder company claims that there have been several driveshaft failures. I reported a potential recall for another issue 2 years ago based on some false info I was given and looked like a turd so I did not want to report what I heard this time.

Time will tell but I have 2 of them sitting in my garage so I hope this one is just a hoax once again.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I got a pict, how do I load it, or I can text it to somebody and they can upload it.
it's clearly broke of at the drive side of the axle just outside the tunell , looks like it necks down there just before the hex of the drive shaft

D

dropitbuster

Nov 28, 2007
Terrace B.C.
I got a pict, how do I load it, or I can text it to somebody and they can upload it.
it's clearly broke of at the drive side of the axle just outside the tunell , looks like it necks down there just before the hex of the drive shaft

Dammnn!! I was hoping you were just jumping the gun and it was something really minor. My bad. Hope this is a fairly isolated issue and Polaris deals with it immediately. I guess there is a fine line between lightest weight possible and strong enough.

I'd be ordering a back up steel drive shaft right now just for insurance.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Where do I get a Hunting License for Chicken Little?

If any of this is true, all I can say is.......
Low bidder strikes again.
Remember this the next time you get on an airplane. :face-icon-small-con

Thanks for posting snobyrd!

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Parking Brake?:face-icon-small-hap

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you drive home, park and then not be able to motivate again? IT gave up the Ghost over night?

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
dealer said it broke right at the press fit, they said its thier first one since the dragon days, maybe we'll start calling these pros DRAGON2, cause were gonna be dragin these back to the truck....

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
if sombody wants to post this pict, pm me and I'll email it, cause I don't have the patience to figure how to up load Picts..
I sure don't hope this is gonna turn into a epidemic, iv got till dec to wait for my pro, or maybe I'll stay on the green team!!

Premium Features