• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FYI-NORTHSTAR PERFORMANCE KIT

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Sounds too good to be true which usually means...............fill in the blank. If Carl's isnt doing it, I'm not doing it. Dyno tests can be manipulated lots of different ways too. Be careful.

I may be missing something here , but Carls is only offering a BB kit , that is great if you wait to spend $6000-$7000 and i here that there kit works good , but some guys may not want to spend that kind of money , but do want to FIX/ADDRESS the issue with the piston clearance in the PRO motor and there is kits out there that are doing this , but yes i agree with you , you always have to be careful when spending your money.

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
Sounds too good to be true which usually means...............fill in the blank. If Carl's isnt doing it, I'm not doing it. Dyno tests can be manipulated lots of different ways too. Be careful.

Yep, it's a big conspiracy. :face-icon-small-dis

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
I may be missing something here , but Carls is only offering a BB kit , that is great if you wait to spend $6000-$7000 and i here that there kit works good , but some guys may not want to spend that kind of money , but do want to FIX/ADDRESS the issue with the piston clearance in the PRO motor and there is kits out there that are doing this , but yes i agree with you , you always have to be careful when spending your money.

This kit is $1100. It includes pistons, shim, fuel controller, head work (machines your stock to kit the piston, better for todays fuels) and timing key. Average of all the dyno runs was 18 hp over stock. (One run was 21).
So, stock hp is (assuming) 143, that 161. Par's 910 is 175hp for $6000 plus. This kit needs more fuel thus the controller, much more efficient port timing. Thus more power. Slp pipe and controller about the same $ for 7.6 hp. IMO this is the way to go. But to each his own.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
So your claiming up to 21 hp just by changing port timing. No actual porting. Something seems a little too easy here.

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
That one run was 21, average was less. Ask yourself why the AC 800 and the E-Tec's make 20 more hp than the CFI-2's. All the same displacement. If you ported this kit it would make more hp. Not done by Northstar but by someone on the race curcuit. I'm a just a customer of Northstar, I don't work there. Just telling you what I've seen. If you don't believe it, I could care less. Call Kelsey or MTN TK, for all I care, it's no skin off my nose. IMHO, this is the way to go.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i don't have this kit and don't know anything about its specifics. have no idea if the hp cliams are true or not, but its more than just changing the port timing. they do that which can make a significant difference but it is also the timing key which helps it out. "better" pistons could be a significant contributor also. dtr did a fairly comprehensive test of different pipes and included a shim and timing key. interesting results to say the least. look it up, its worth the read.

pv

T

treedocker

Sep 1, 2010
sorry guys i am not able to be on here all the time and get back to you. i will try and get the pm,s sent back asap. we have not tries this on a turbo application but we will this season. i promise you all these numbers are true and no false advertising. this sled is a consistently 6 to 8 sled lengths ahead of a stocker. we went and rode this weekend at tony grove utah and we had 2 13 pros with this kit and for the first ride out they ran flawless. for the price you cant beat this kit imho.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
hmm... i wonder if they can do all the work on one day?... like if i showed up at 8 am kinda thing.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
hmm... i wonder if they can do all the work on one day?... like if i showed up at 8 am kinda thing.

I would talk to Kobi - if they have enough open time in their schedule, it is my understanding that you could drop it off at 8am and pick it up that afternoon.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Dropped the 800 Pro off to Kobi today for the kit and clutching and a couple of other things (turn up oiler, vents). Will pick it up in a week or so when I get back up that way and will definitely report on this when the snow flies.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Dropped the 800 Pro off to Kobi today for the kit and clutching and a couple of other things (turn up oiler, vents). Will pick it up in a week or so when I get back up that way and will definitely report on this when the snow flies.

You'll be happy with the service at northstar! Only bad thing about that place I can never leave without spending money there:face-icon-small-dis

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
Well, since^^^ started down the RKTEK vs this kit....

I would like to know from treedocker this difference between the Northwest kit and the RKTEK kit because treedocker used to run the RKtek stuff and had nothing but priases for Kelseys stuff?

Inquiring minds would like to know? well at least I would.

"treedocker03-09-2012, 04:25 PM
i have had great luck and performance gain with rktechs drop in kit it really woke the sled up. i have 800 miles on the kit now and it rips. and his 858 kit is even better."

Last edited:
Premium Features