• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11-12' 800 Pro Reliability

11-12' Pro 800 Engine Failure

• Engine Failure - Piston Related (rings, skirt, etc.)

Votes: 74 7.9%
  • Engine Failure - Cylinder Related (cylinder skirt, etc.)

Votes: 60 6.4%
  • Engine Failure - Crank Related

Votes: 63 6.7%
  • No Major Failure - 0-1000 miles

Votes: 365 39.0%
  • No Major Failure - 1000-2500 miles

Votes: 256 27.3%
  • No Major Failure - 2500+ miles

Votes: 119 12.7%

• Total voters
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
BCIL:

You have posted on your M thread that "they (the Pro 800 owners) think the failure rate is normal"

Who are they that think it's normal? All I hear from most everybody over here is that it is NOT normal and NOT OK. You are a poopy pot stirring mofo aren't you...;) And the failure rate is a little above 16% on this poll as of late.

I am struggling to understand your other poll... Isn't it universally known by everyone that the Suzuki 800 motor is the undisputed most awesomest 800 ever???

IT SHOULD BE!

I, like many others, vocally wish we had one in our PRO 800's

But 5-10X more reliable? That would mean a failure rate of 3.2%-1.6% if I did the math right..........

Now as for Belts, Diamond Drive Bearings, Clutches, Steering posts, etc... well that's another thread right.

...And GEO, Soooo many including myself had that same realization.

The Chassis is fun and BETTER!

POLARIS PLEASE STEP UP, your powerplant is below average... Maybe we should start a Poll to see who would be happy if Polarry would buy SUZUKI 800's and start putting them in this kickasss chassis:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I think seeing who voted keeps the stirrers like fred out of the mix, and btw, I haven't voted that I've got a poo that blew up in this poll!!

FCR,

If I yesterday had been forced to put a number to failures poo vs cat, I would have guessed 20% for poo, and 3-5% for cat. Looks like I'm high on the poo # & low on cat... being a cat guy that should be expected.

I also don't see a new set of injectors as "motor failure" which it looks like most here do... we don't have that problem on cats, or the TPS thing, but we've got our own issues.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Ya might want to restart this thread with user names in the votes, every time I come back after say a couple days I can vote again, or if I check with my iPad then another time on my computer the poll is back. I guarantee you there are meatheads skewing the result.

Make it like your cat poll.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have 3 2012 Doos and 1 2012 Poo. Miles on the Doos are 800, 720 and 550. The Pro only had 500. I used a little over 10 gallons of Doo oil this year. All tanks are now full. So that is 2070 mile on 10 gallons of oil or about 210 miles per gallon of oil. Sounds logical and believable. I used only 1 gallon of oil in my Pro. That is one gallon per 500 miles. The only reason I looked into this is that I finally put a new gallon of Poo oil in the trailer. I refill the gallon jugs of Doo oil from 5 gallon tanks in the garage that I bought bulk. How can an engine live on this little oil? The Doo numbers are not perfect but even off 10%(which I can't imagine) the Poo number is perfect. One gallon used, 500 miles ridden.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I have 3 2012 Doos and 1 2012 Poo. Miles on the Doos are 800, 720 and 550. The Pro only had 500. I used a little over 10 gallons of Doo oil this year. All tanks are now full. So that is 2070 mile on 10 gallons of oil or about 210 miles per gallon of oil. Sounds logical and believable. I used only 1 gallon of oil in my Pro. That is one gallon per 500 miles. The only reason I looked into this is that I finally put a new gallon of Poo oil in the trailer. I refill the gallon jugs of Doo oil from 5 gallon tanks in the garage that I bought bulk. How can an engine live on this little oil? The Doo numbers are not perfect but even off 10%(which I can't imagine) the Poo number is perfect. One gallon used, 500 miles ridden.

I can't imagine using that little amount of oil. I use at least double that. That seems like a 50:1 mix at BEST... I mix 32:1. No wonder you guys are adding oil every tank.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I can't imagine using that little amount of oil. I use at least double that. That seems like a 50:1 mix at BEST... I mix 32:1. No wonder you guys are adding oil every tank.
and one of the main reasons they tear up bottom ends(and maybe topends as well) .
turning up the oiler, and adding a pint per tank of fuel does wonders to these motors....think about it..for as many topends as the dragons took out..you never heard about a bottom end problem(even with all the top end crap going thru the bottomends)...

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
and one of the main reasons they tear up bottom ends(and maybe topends as well) .
turning up the oiler, and adding a pint per tank of fuel does wonders to these motors....think about it..for as many topends as the dragons took out..you never heard about a bottom end problem(even with all the top end crap going thru the bottomends)...

I put in an ounce per gallon in the tank (have since the first tank full). I also turned up the oiler 3 turns. Combined, that's still not a lot of oil, but I feel it's good insurance. 950 miles going strong.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I learned my lesson the hard way. I will turn up the oil on my 13 before I ever ride it and always run 1 oz of oil to 1 gal gas in every tank I can. That being said, I have come to the following conclusions.

1. Polaris motors are somewhat unrelieble in stock setup. (Add oil to gas and turn up pump to remedy) I call it a remedy but it really only masks the problem and buys us some more time. As I see it, this alone will help with piston and ring issues as well as the crank failures. Not so much with cylinder and piston skirts breaking off. Separate issue there.

2. 1 out of every 8 Pro's sold are going down around 1000 miles. Unacceptable but maybe we can get more time out of the by using the remedy/mask of oil.

3. Polaris is fixing the cylinder skirt issue for next year without actually admitting an issue or problem. (Can you imagine the cost of a total recall? Will not happen in my life time.)

4. We can complain all we want and it will continue to fall on deaf ears. No, I take that back. I think some or most at Polaris really do care about what they do and what they put out for consumers. Problem is that stockholder could give a rat's a$$! They want dividends and if fixing an issue that is hitting 1/8 of all Pro's means no or reduced dividends, then it won't happen. As long as the consumer is buying the product they will do nothing.

So in conclusion, I am one of the complaining 1 in 8 and since I own a Pro, I purchased the right to do so. I complain fully knowing that it will do no good but it does let me blow off some steam and "feel" like I have a voice. In reality, the Polaris CEO listens to his cabana boy more than he will ever listen to me and my Pro's issues. To him and the rest of the directors it is about money and business. To us, it's about passion. Our passion and I don't know about you guys, but my passion has little to do with saving money. :)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
good post old doo..but I think if these motors do get enough oil..the skirts will last longer.. the way the injectors are pointed they are spraying straight fuel on the intake side of the piston..which has to be washing most of the oil(what little there is) off the cylinder and skirt which should be causing metal to metal contact instead of the oil acting like a bushing and holding(cushioning ) the piston to bore contact..will it aleviate all issues..no some are still going to pop..but it for sure will help and I think if everyone would turn up there oilers(use at least 1 qt. per tank of fuel) and add a pint to every tank of gas, a much higher percentage of motors would live...if you think about it , how many peeps would go run their truck up and down the road if it only had 3 qts in the pan vrs 6?..while the motor would live a while..its doing damage and its gonna kill the motor eventually..right?and yes I agree, the mnt. tek kit looks to be the most reliable fix in basic stock form at a reasonable price...

I

ice man

Jan 26, 2008
oliver bc canada
xp's have a 10 % engine failure rate since 08,pros have a 16% failure rate since 11,would like to try a pro but cant ignor those numbers my xp has 4100 km engine good,eats clutch parts,my old rmk 800 has 10000 km ,one crank,what happened to reliability polaris.cant aford hellicopter rides from back country.not brand loyal own 3 different makes

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
xp's have a 10 % engine failure rate since 08,pros have a 16% failure rate since 11,would like to try a pro but cant ignor those numbers my xp has 4100 km engine good,eats clutch parts,my old rmk 800 has 10000 km ,one crank,what happened to reliability polaris.cant aford hellicopter rides from back country.not brand loyal own 3 different makes

If your assumptions are based on one poorly set up poll on one internet sled site then you should run for Congress (or Parliment if you're Canadian)....you'll fit right in.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
...the way the injectors are pointed they are spraying straight fuel on the intake side of the piston..which has to be washing most of the oil(what little there is) off the cylinder and skirt which should be causing metal to metal contact instead of the oil acting like a bushing and holding(cushioning ) the piston to bore contact...

EXACTLY what I was told by some body in the industry and exactly what my dealership found when they tore apart my sled to find damaged pistons and rings. Exactly what about 4 other people in the industry told me to look for before we found what we were looking for. Say that 6 times fast. :face-icon-small-hap Damage was found to be only on intake side of the pistion and rings. But there isn't a problem and this never happened...this message will self destruct in 10 seconds...10...9....8.... Excuse me while I stuff my head in the sand.

BTW, I honestly never had a problem with my dragon so all you dragon guys were making that up too...whatever.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
If your assumptions are based on one poorly set up poll on one internet sled site then you should run for Congress (or Parliment if you're Canadian)....you'll fit right in.
exactly...not sure how acurate this poll is due to posters being hidden..will fix that and start a new one...SO.....EVERYONE VOTE AGAIN ON THE NEW POLL AND LETS SEE HOW BAD IT HONESTLY IS...

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Engineers purposely designed the injector placement for maximum performance.

-- Reason for minimum oil usage is for thin oil film for less drag on moving parts which increases fuel mileage and HP to crank -- Waste not, want not--

--The Pro may be the "'greenest" 800 sled out there. So, save the Earth and happily accept a 16% failure rate, so far -- We will see about the 50% that have not reached 1000 miles yet, and the rest who knows

-- Maybe they should add secondary injectors to spray Brakleen

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
--Engineers purposely designed the injector placement for maximum performance.

-- Reason for minimum oil usage is for thin oil film for less drag on moving parts which increases fuel mileage and HP to crank -- Waste not, want not--

--The Pro may be the "'greenest" 800 sled out there. So, save the Earth and happily accept a 16% failure rate, so far -- We will see about the 50% that have not reached 1000 miles yet, and the rest who knows

minimum oil is EPA related..lots of oil during combustion raises greenhouse gases..so polaris(same with doo ) had to cut down the oil going into the combustion chambers....learned that back when I was certified for emissions testing /repair up here..

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--I was just kidding around about all that, except the Brakleen part.

--FYI--

--1000 years ago people were growing wheat in Iceland and the ENTIRE Arctic
ice pack would melt off each year. The Polar bears did just fine. We are now actually is somewhat of an ice age.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
1. (Add oil to gas and turn up pump to remedy) I call it a remedy but it really only masks the problem and buys us some more time. As I see it, this alone will help with piston and ring issues as well as the crank failures. Not so much with cylinder and piston skirts breaking off. Separate issue there.

4. We can complain all we want and it will continue to fall on deaf ears.

On 1, Remedy... I wonder.. What if my actions to increase oil just let it live past warranty and then go down? How smart was it?

On 4, I say we can push. There are specs for their engines, and if mine is below spec (piston/cylinder clearance) when I take it apart this summer, I will demand new parts. My sled has run 600+ miles and surely this is way early for piston replacement according to their manuals?

S

Super Sled

Jul 10, 2009
Duluth, MN

:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho

But I get the joke/toungue in cheek, it's funny.

You all can laugh, but I turned my oiler up and then tightened down the jam nut until there is only 2 lines showing. I want max oil for cheap insurance. If it ever gets doggy rich I can always easily turn it back down. But I have ran it this way for a few rides now and it was fine. I also add abut 1.5 ounces of Polaris blue injector oil for every gallon of gas. I'm hoping this does the trick and keeps everything oiled up. :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features