• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRA Alignment question?

B

badapple

Jan 16, 2009
WEST SIDE
So i have done some clutch maintenance research, and feel pretty confident in my ability to remove, clean and reassemble the primary. But i have one question i haven't really seen the answer to...Does the clutch and crank need to be aligned together? When pulling the clutch off the crank should i re install in the same place on the crank shaft? :noidea:

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
So i have done some clutch maintenance research, and feel pretty confident in my ability to remove, clean and reassemble the primary. But i have one question i haven't really seen the answer to...Does the clutch and crank need to be aligned together? When pulling the clutch off the crank should i re install in the same place on the crank shaft? :noidea:

If you were watching my video about the primary clutch and then observed that I did mention to (make sure piston is at top dead center before you install the primary), I continued with mentioning i was joking - In the shop, I get guys with "zingers" like that.
...change muffler bearings
...top up halogen fluid
...etc

my answer to your question would be "no"

B

badapple

Jan 16, 2009
WEST SIDE
If you were watching my video about the primary clutch and then observed that I did mention to (make sure piston is at top dead center before you install the primary), I continued with mentioning i was joking - In the shop, I get guys with "zingers" like that.
...top up halogen fluid
...etc

I did watch your video! Thanks for sharing!
I just wanted to clarify that one thing before i tore into the job:nod:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
...top up halogen fluid
...etc

{Actually there is more to the picture,TDC }Quote-Well this current fully Mod completely new SHR 880 has everything under the sun possible and the crank is trued and straight.less than .0005. My clutch was balanced years ago[Perks} and I replaced all bushings /cup O rings Arm bushings everything, Weighed each arm/ ramp and balanced.I have run around 100 different setups testing arms springs ect. so thought Id send it to perks to check balance with my current proven favorite setup. So I boxed her up.taped shut and took to the local hardware store to get -er done just because i,m Anal and have time before snow flies.. Something wasn't sitting right and in the back of my head ,something told me not to ship it,been putting this off for over a week., Didnt really sleep and first thing in the morning I grabbed the package before UPS arrived.I keep thinking that if a crank is 100 grams out of balance which I believe is grossly exaggerated , However I buy the fact that its probably not perfect or far from it. I also believe the balance changes under load due to a laboring motor. Started Wondering about indexing the little out of balance of clutch and out of round to offset the crank. So i took a center punch and on the end of crankshaft marked TDC on PTO.Then started to index the Tra arrows first at One -O Clock and run it without a belt ,noting the smoothness, Proceeded at 2 then 3 ect.I found that at 8 o clock this motor went completely smooth ,No movement at all from idle to 8000,at "3 "it shook. Hmm. could one be able to off set the crank balance with this method. I prove it can be done , surely there are limitations ,and now have an alignment mark on Tra to match Crank mark..Anal or just an as-hole,My X wife has suggestions. or both, either way this works. Have been told to align the removed Tra weight area to 2 O clock and mine shook there. Not much but noticeable.If the Clutch is Zero-ed and balanced why would this matter,It must change as the sliding half shifts.this is worth a try and the smoothness was substantial.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
{Actually there is more to the picture,TDC }Quote-Well this current fully Mod completely new SHR 880 has everything under the sun possible and the crank is trued and straight.less than .0005. My clutch was balanced years ago[Perks} and I replaced all bushings /cup O rings Arm bushings everything, Weighed each arm/ ramp and balanced.I have run around 100 different setups testing arms springs ect. so thought Id send it to perks to check balance with my current proven favorite setup. So I boxed her up.taped shut and took to the local hardware store to get -er done just because i,m Anal and have time before snow flies.. Something wasn't sitting right and in the back of my head ,something told me not to ship it,been putting this off for over a week., Didnt really sleep and first thing in the morning I grabbed the package before UPS arrived.I keep thinking that if a crank is 100 grams out of balance which I believe is grossly exaggerated , However I buy the fact that its probably not perfect or far from it. I also believe the balance changes under load due to a laboring motor. Started Wondering about indexing the little out of balance of clutch and out of round to offset the crank. So i took a center punch and on the end of crankshaft marked TDC on PTO.Then started to index the Tra arrows first at One -O Clock and run it without a belt ,noting the smoothness, Proceeded at 2 then 3 ect.I found that at 8 o clock this motor went completely smooth ,No movement at all from idle to 8000,at "3 "it shook. Hmm. could one be able to off set the crank balance with this method. I prove it can be done , surely there are limitations ,and now have an alignment mark on Tra to match Crank mark..Anal or just an as-hole,My X wife has suggestions. or both, either way this works. Have been told to align the removed Tra weight area to 2 O clock and mine shook there. Not much but noticeable.If the Clutch is Zero-ed and balanced why would this matter,It must change as the sliding half shifts.this is worth a try and the smoothness was substantial.

I would like to see Perks balance the primary without the spring, at full ingaugement. ( or 1-1 ratio on the sheave )

T

thrasher187

Nov 23, 2010
...top up halogen fluid
...etc

Where do I get halogen fluid? Are the muffler bearings left hand thread?

Premium Features