• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is it OK to run the motor without the primary?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
any issues or potential problems with running an 03 polaris 800 ves without the clutch?

Thanks

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I think most manuals state to not even run the sled without the belt. The problem of running without the belt (ie no load) is that your engine could hit peak rpms very quickly with just a little bit of throttle. I am not sure, but I thought that the engines use the primary clutch as a sort of flywheel, smoothing out vibrations.

That is my thoughts anyways.

What is the reason for running without a clutch? What are you trying to do?

I think blipping the throttle without a clutch / belt would be bad. Just running the motor to bleed the oil system, or something like that, not so bad.

sooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Motor City
Other than just to idle for a few thats about it.
The motor will vibrate like crazy and prob not so good for the crank.
I started my doo 800 without a clutch and thats what I found.
Like already was said the primary clutch acts as a counter balance.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
better to just not do it at all, might be ok idle for a few seconds,
but DO NOT touch the throttle cause the engine will rev up and when you let off the throttle there is no load to slow down the engine so you will be fueling for idle but the engine is running faster, cause the sled to lean out and go boom.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I must be missing something.

The clutch does nothing but introduce more imbalance to the crank, unless you had the crank and clutch balanced and have it timed. (Which most people don't do) so running without the clutch isn't going to do anything in the balance area.

I agree you don't want to be running the throttle and definitely don't run the R's up.

As for recoil/flywheel affect. Possibly but I have never had an issue.

I have ran my Arctic Cat sleds without the clutch to check crank seals and such without any issues. And I don't believe any of the big four manufactures expect the clutch to balance the crank.

Might be wrong here, but never had a problem.

Thunder

A
Nov 26, 2007
Western NY.
I must be missing something.

The clutch does nothing but introduce more imbalance to the crank, unless you had the crank and clutch balanced and have it timed. (Which most people don't do) so running without the clutch isn't going to do anything in the balance area.

I agree you don't want to be running the throttle and definitely don't run the R's up.

As for recoil/flywheel affect. Possibly but I have never had an issue.

I have ran my Arctic Cat sleds without the clutch to check crank seals and such without any issues. And I don't believe any of the big four manufactures expect the clutch to balance the crank.

Might be wrong here, but never had a problem.

Thunder

Adding the clutch does not add a imbalance, it actually smothes it out, it acts as a flywheel to keep the momentum of the rotating mass going.
The added wieght on the end of the crank also reduces harmonics, Cat even added wieght to there primary on the 900 twin to help this.
I have tried pulling over a poo 800 twin with no clutch, its not fun at all.
Try starting a lawnmower with no blade on it, if you do get it started watch it jump around all over the place

D

draginrmk

Nov 30, 2007
don't start it w/o the clutch..vibrating pig she will be if it even starts(700BB poo)if you must start it to check timing etc then take the weights out of the clutch and ground 1 spark plug wire...is your best bet..JME

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
FAIRY TALES............................................. ..

any issues or potential problems with running an 03 polaris 800 ves without the clutch?

Thanks

It's O.K. as others have said, just don't over -R.P.M. it

To the rest of you guys with fairy tales of vibration.........

I've run several engines (especially 2001-2002 800 Twins) with the clutches removed to diagnose and / or isolate a problem, and the engines DON'T VIBRATE!! with the clutches removed, period.

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Jumpin' around all over the place

Adding the clutch does not add a imbalance, it actually smothes it out, it acts as a flywheel to keep the momentum of the rotating mass going.
The added wieght on the end of the crank also reduces harmonics, Cat even added wieght to there primary on the 900 twin to help this.
I have tried pulling over a poo 800 twin with no clutch, its not fun at all.
Try starting a lawnmower with no blade on it, if you do get it started watch it jump around all over the place

Al,

Ran my lawnmower with and without the blade, can't seem to get it to "Jump around all over the place"

I must be doing something wrong.........................................

A
Nov 26, 2007
Western NY.
It's O.K. as others have said, just don't over -R.P.M. it

To the rest of you guys with fairy tales of vibration.........

I've run several engines (especially 2001-2002 800 Twins) with the clutches removed to diagnose and / or isolate a problem, and the engines DON'T VIBRATE!! with the clutches removed, period.

What were u trying to diagnose with no clutch on?

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
It's GREEN

What kinda lawnmower?

Well, it's green and it's kinda old and the decals are worn off, not sure if its a Lawn Boy or an Arctic Cat???????????????????

And it appears to have some sort of modification done to the exhaust pipe

Maybe I'll take some pics later and post 'em on HCS, AJ would appreciate those

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
What were u trying to diagnose with no clutch on?

Had a 2001 800 (bud's sled) with a mid-range mild vibration.

Removed the primary the vibration was still there

Checked the crank run-out and surprisingly it was less than .002"

Ended up being the 3 or 4 bolts on the lower half of the recoil housing cover snapped off in the case, the recoil cover partially cracked and "cocked" causing the oil pump / water pump drive to only partially engage.

Chewed up the end of the water pump / oil pump shaft

So, YES I did diagnose the problem with no clutch on to answer your ??

But we had to securely bolt the sled, skis, engine, handlebars and driver to the concrete floor in order to keep the sled from "dancing all around"

Premium Features