• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer door head pad

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Recently bought a 6x14 cargo trailer to hall the dirtbikes and sled. I'm looking for ideas on a head pad above the side and ramp doors. Twice this weekend while installing a shelf in the front, I banged my head walking out of the trailer .. put me to my knees once. :frusty:

Thinking of a piece of foam pipe insulation, or looking for a camper pad from a salvage yard. Any suggestions?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
No pad needed, sooner or later you will figure it out. Stupid hurts. I used to occasionally bang my head on the trailer furnace, not any more.

On my garage lift post corners I put on pipe insulation that had sticky tape edges, works great to prevent door dings, should work for your head also.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
He's right.
After that one that took you to your knees, I doubt if you'll have any more problems.

I hit my melon driving into the trailer, hurt like a sombetch & I bet you could hear the F word being constantly repeated a block away!
Never had a problem after that.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had some table corner pad for the coffee table to keep the kids from splitting their gourd open. Once the kids got bigger I recycled the corner pad to my trailer. It uses double sided tape and works pretty good. I mostly just wanted the corners protected as I am taller than the trailer is so I am likely to catch it if I'm not thinking about it.

It looks like angle iron made of foam. Likely find it at Target in the "protect your kid" section. It seems thick enough to do the job yet thin enough to not impede on clearance.

Premium Features