• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Edge 800 Project

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
Here is my project that I have been working on for about two weeks in my spare time! I have a few questions,
1. What is gained by moving the skid down and back?
2. What would be the best stock front spring shock that I could use, I am making my own mounts so I was thinking about using Dragon front Shocks?
3. I put 8 tooth 3" pitch Extros on and I know if I use the stock locations I will have to cut my rails, But If I move the skid i guess I do not have to?

It will be a 02 800 with 10 psi of boost and a 174 16 2.5 track!! I am building a custom steering post and a custom Chrome Molly Front End . I will keep posting pictures as I go

img075.jpg

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Not sure the answers to all your question but that tunnel looks sweet.

I know when you move the skid back you get a bunch more ski pressure, good if you want the front end to stay down I would imagine.

Wildcard28

raptobob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Idaho
Here is my project that I have been working on for about two weeks in my spare time! I have a few questions,
2. What would be the best stock front spring shock that I could use, I am making my own mounts so I was thinking about using Dragon front Shocks?
3. I put 8 tooth 3" pitch Extros on and I know if I use the stock locations I will have to cut my rails, But If I move the skid i guess I do not have to?

It will be a 02 800 with 10 psi of boost and a 174 16 2.5 track!! I am building a custom steering post and a custom Chrome Molly Front End . I will keep posting pictures as I go

I would guess that your pretty good at TIG welding aluminum? Do you do repairs for others?

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
I think I remember from your other posts that you did a drop and roll, right? I don't think you have a choice when it comes to moving your skid. Your axle is going to be that much closer to your skid. So setting your skid back is a must. I went with avid's chaincase can't remember right off hand what the dimensions were but I moved my skid down .75 and back 2.0 and with 8 tooth 3.0 extroverts I still had to trim my rails back about 2.0 inches. Go with a anti-stab kit as well!

Nice work on your tunnel! You have something to be very proud of!

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
Thanks Guys

Yeah it has been fun and a learning process on this dude! I did drop and roll as far as I could and I ended up with about three inches of clearance between the driver and the cooler! They are Whal 8 tooth Extros and I got them mounted last night. And I will move that skid back to those dimensions, well i will start there and check it out! I ended up with some shocks from a RX1,, I will see if I can make them work, they are 1" longer C2c extended and because of the weight added by moving the skid back and the turbo junk they should work well! And yes if you live close I will gladly help out a fellow sledder!! And for sure the anti stab!!!!!

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
Crap

so with the 8 tooth 3" pitch drivers and the 2.5" x 16" track the very ends of the track are into the cooler! Should I just trim them? or go with 7 tooth drivers? it was so much work to roll that thing as far as i did and they still rub. Cut the ends off or try new drivers? I don't want to loose track speed?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
yeah but I am just going to buy the 7 tooth drivers and sell my 8 tooth drivers, the factory drives are 7.25" diameter and my 3x8's are 7.65" in diameter so so theres a little bit of my problem. my two inch lug was very close already and i could fit with no problem a 2.5" 2.52 drive no problem so 7 tooth 3" pitch is 6.68" in diameter so that would give me just under -.25 in smaller radius than stock drivers and my gearing would actually improve, smaller sprocket(driver) little lower gear!

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
New Pics,

My drivers showed today and so did my stab kit so the track goes back on, the skis showed up, and so did the FPR so I might have this thing running this weekend!!!!! I used my PSI pipe for my turbo but I did reinforce it so it will not blow up, also I still might change the side pipe to a down exit because I still need to cut it down and it might be a bit to loud :)

img100.jpg img102.jpg img103.jpg img104.jpg img105.jpg

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009

With your 3rd question your answer lies in your first question. If you move your skid down and back you gain clearance between your drivers and rail tips allowing you to not have to cut your rails.

Moving the skid down also improves your attack angle and helps with flotation of the skid. Your going to get a BUNCH more ski pressure and have to adjust your skid accordingly.

As for shocks thats a hard question to answer. No one shock is an end all solve all. Your going to get ALOT of opinions here. I really like the foxes that are in mine. Heard good things about exit shocks though as well.

Last edited:
D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Wow. Big progress. What turbo did you decide on. Looks like a garrett.
Are you planning on using the edge belly pan and hood or custom.

Pretty good progress on tuning mine. When you get to that stage I should have it figured out pretty good. PM me any questions. Water cool it, the oil gets crazy cookin hot without it, oil pressure drops drastically. Is yours journal or ball bearing?

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
Wow. Big progress. What turbo did you decide on. Looks like a garrett.
Are you planning on using the edge belly pan and hood or custom.

Pretty good progress on tuning mine. When you get to that stage I should have it figured out pretty good. PM me any questions. Water cool it, the oil gets crazy cookin hot without it, oil pressure drops drastically. Is yours journal or ball bearing?

It is actually a EVO 3 with an external waste gate for proper exhaust flow and it is only oil cooled so i am going to put some fins on my oil tank! I am going to build a custom belly pan and mesh hood. I need to change my steering column braces because they are into my legs to much when I am standing up but that will not be a big deal, and the turbo is a journal bearing, i am going to use that pump you suggested and see how it does! I am getting close, I need two solid days to finish this dude up!!:D

Premium Features