• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo apex wont rev past 7k

Oct 20, 2008
Ogden
Hey guys I got a 2006 apex boon docker front mount turbo series 25, pure logic fuel box that will not rev past 7k, What should I check? The box seems to be working but I'm not completly sure, air fuel was reading about 13.5 which it needs to be richer but that wouldnt cause that it not rev past 7k? what else should I check? Throttle bodies to the engine? Water in the intercooler? Exhaust manifold from the turbo to engine? Heard of troubles with them? Thanks for any help. I looked at my anti ratchet drivers and it tore them up, stripped them up, and then it seemed like right after it tore those up it would not rev past 7k, any idea? or Past experience with this same type of issue? I have got the drivers replaced with extravert, I still need to put it back together but I want to check eveything that is easy to check right now with it tore apart this far. THANKS

N

NITROSKIDUDE

Dec 12, 2003
SPOKANE WA.
New to turbos..

Yea i am new to these, but i have reaD ALOT ABOUT THESE SINCE i GOT THE bOOST BUG, bUT FROM what I have learned , so far ,One thing I would check would be you exaust, It may be cracked in the header, go with Stainless if that is you problem seems to be the most problem free solution.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
Check your inner cooler mounting brackets very closely. If one of them has cracked or broken it has probably allowed your throttle bodies to lift off your motor.

When you look initially everything may look right but get down there with a good light and really check to see if your throttle bodies are still tight against your motor.

We have had this happen twice this year and I helped a third SW guy that had the same problem.

At about 7000 rpm you begin to build just enough boost to lift the throttle bodies off the engine if you have a cracked inner cooler bracket.

If this is not your problem, it still sounds like a major boost leak to me, check where your inner cooler attaches to your throttle bodies, check both sides (throttle body side and inner cooler side).

Check the big hoses coming from your Turbo to the inner cooler, make sure they are really tight and not leaking.

I realize I could be wrong, but this sounds like a classic big boost leak.

Hope this helps!!

F
Mar 6, 2008
ND
Had this trouble on my old BD kit once and it was the crappie intercooler mounts. I made a strap that was welded to the headlight bracket to hold the ic on. It basically went over the end tank and when the headlight mount was tightened it pushed down on the end tank of the intercooler. Work very well.

Oct 20, 2008
Ogden
Fixed

I believe I have found my problem I examined with a flashlight and all four of the throttle body boots have popped off of the engine, I will put them back and I believe that is the problem, thank you very much for everybody's quick responses.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
That isa Great!!

Now, You need to figure out why it lifted.

Did you check to see if you had a crack in the inner cooler bracket?

If you do, we took ours to Mike at CPI and he made a special piece of aluminum and welded it to the bracket, it really reinforced it.

Also you really need to loosen the throttle bodies to get them to seat all the way down before you tighten them back up.

Nothing kills a turbo like a boost leak.

Hope this helps!

Oct 20, 2008
Ogden
Yes

Yes, the inter cooler bracket on the left side sitting on the machine cracked where the 45 degree angle is and broke, had a buddy weld it up real nice, Rode it today absolutely perfect all day long today running bout 15 pounds of boost, seems to have fixed the problem. THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE HELP.

Premium Features