• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Over rev question,out of alignment?

P
Dec 11, 2007
Anchorage, AK
My buddys 01' 700MM is over reving. Motor stock except single layer headgasket and Bender can. It also has reverse and been stretched to 151. This thing revs over 9000 consistantly. We have pulled The primary cleaned and replaced the spring and added 4.5 to the outter hole.(already had 4.5 in the inner hole). Pulled secondary, cleaned and replaced spring and buttons. I'm sorry I can't remember whar gears are in it right now and we did try gearing it up one tooth. But he did add the reverse himself and I am wondering on the gearing. Two questions, What gears should he be running? Can over reving be caused by an out of aligned motor? Thanks

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
What's the secondary set at, 6-1 is a good start. The other thing is to check the rollers, if they are worn ( bushings ) the clutch doesn't shift right and can over rev. Take a small magnet and attach it to the rollers and see if they move up and down, if they move ,it's worn out, replace rollers, check ramps for wear. Likely the bushings in the sliding sheave and outer cap are worn, replace those and have the spider shimmed.

P
Dec 11, 2007
Anchorage, AK
When it was off the sled he took it in to the dealer to have the heavier weights installed and they said the sliders etc. looked fine. With the primary off how much movement(wiggle) should there be between the two sheaves? what proper measurement procedure is taken here? This is a new problem to me and I just trying to figure it out.Thanks

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
I don't know what the measure is, but check the rollers, most people overlook this, if the rollers have too much play then chances are the main sliding bushings are done, generally after 2000 kms 1600 miles the bushings start to go.

P
Dec 11, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Elevation is 500-2000', Yes on the belt. But, Snowdad4 you mentioning the different specs between having reverse and not brought to my attention that I bet when he added the reverse himself he didn't know to change the offset. Would that possibly cause the over rev??

P
Dec 11, 2007
Anchorage, AK
tried 70 & 80. If reverse doesn't care about center to center, then why is the adjustment different(5mm) between the two? The reason I'm wondering about the clutch adjustments is because thats about the only thing we haven't checked or replaced. tools on order.... Thanks

just looked at the reverse install manual. no mention of altering clutch offsets. however, in some of the specs, some of the sleds with standard reverse have 15mm offset, some are 20mm. is the overrev occuring with the sled on the ground or in the air?

P
Dec 11, 2007
Anchorage, AK
He had the primary off the sled, took it in to our dealer to have it checked out and the heavier weights installed. Acording to them the primary was fine. He's pulling the chain case cover to verify gearing. What gears would you run on a 700M w/151 and reverse? Thanks

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
Check the primary yourself the way I described above, if the dealer doesn't know how, then you're relying on his inexperience.

21- 40 I believe is stock, with reverse you don't have any options for lower gear on the bottom gear, and one tooth difference on the top will lower it alot but you can try it, it's a cheap try.

S
Nov 26, 2008
Linc,

Running 39/23 gears on 2000 MM with reverse, 8 tooth, 151 track, can this cause the over revving? Stock should be 40/21, reverse kit came with the 39/23. Will adding the smaller 21 gear to the 39 increase or decrease revving?

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
If the clutching is in the ball park, it shouldn't effect the revs hardly at all, over reving is caused by a binding, too light of weights, too stiff primary spring, too stiff secondary, slipping from being too loose. if there is black marks on your clutch it's slipping, if it's smok'n hot, it's slipping. Take a black marker and put stripe on the face of the primary go for ride and seee how far the belt goes, if it goes near the top and it's over reving then you will need more weight, if it only goes half way, then the springs are too tight or it's binding.

S
Nov 26, 2008
over revving

Thanks for getting back, I will check clutching again. However, what gears do you think would perform best on the 151 track, 21/39 or 23/39

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
21/39, but if you can get a 20 /39, that would even be better, generally a 2:1 gear ratio is a good basis point to start from, 21/39 is 1.83:1 and 20/39 is 1.95:1.

Premium Features