• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

0 miles 2018 summit drivetrain update

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Talked to dealer where I bought new sleds in March 2018

Sleds have zero miles today

They entered the VIN into BRP warranty / update site and says zero updates one performed (SHOT reflash)

So dealer said we have to open & build a case to justify getting updates done by warranty. :bowl:

I guess the sled needs to grenade belts and crank before they fix it? :face-icon-small-sho

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have a 2017 that was "updated" last year. I don't plan on heckling the dealer for new parts unless the sled proves to me that it is absolutely necessary.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

20 grand for toys is a lot of money IMHO. I think destroying a belt on an engine revving around 8000 RPM doesn't help it become more reliable rather a strain reducing life.

I don't want my children stranded overnight because of an engine failure, or spent full retail on an ample supply of belts.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Well if nothing else the parts are cheap, buy them and put them on possibly.

I agree. Already spent couple hundred on vents.

Son wants a wrap ! Another several hundred bucks Everyone knows how important parking lot appearances are? Especially in this dawn of digital era.

Im just trying to figure out all the part numbers. Already installed aftermarket upgrades to the primary.

I have no problem with a little vibration from installing better motor mounts.

Looked into an aftermarket motor mount kit … think it was one mount for $150. Skidoo recall is upgrading 3 mounts so it seems from a video posted here.

My issue is a sled company taking care of existing customers. I would think at the very least to offer ALL existing owners a deal for the parts and or a deal installed by the dealer.

I would think in the long run they may end up like Polaris and offer a very long warranty on the drive train to keep customers.

Manufacturers like Toyota offer very little (free) warranty on some models because the engines are go to drive to the moon and back.

Last edited:
D
May 24, 2012
Start by contacting BRP Care @ 1-888-272-9222 to get at least a case file showing that you called and made the request. Also ask them about placing an order for the side panel vent kit which is expected to arrive by mid to late December.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Try riding it first before sitting on the forms bitching about a sled you have no idea about. I have 2 that ran flawless all season. Only added a couple of vents.

D
May 24, 2012
Well if nothing else the parts are cheap, buy them and put them on possibly.

That's a good idea. We will get more info on the 2019 mounts in the coming month, but until then it will be a smart move to get the orders in for the 2017 and 2018 sleds to at least show BRP that this is considered important.

The MAG side mount saw changes beyond the durometer. Because of this it comes as an assembly which is why it cost more. There is more than one option which is what makes it more interesting :face-icon-small-ton

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Try riding it first before sitting on the forms bitching about a sled you have no idea about. I have 2 that ran flawless all season. Only added a couple of vents.

From what I have read here BRP is updating new sleds sitting in inventory before they have even been sold. Why would it be a stretch for a customer that bought 2 new sleds and hasn't ridden them yet to get the same treatment? If they were mine, they would be sitting at the dealer waiting for BRP to do the right thing and update them. I would be calling them every day until the updates were done.

T
Dec 22, 2008
Wenatchee,WA
From what I have read here BRP is updating new sleds sitting in inventory before they have even been sold. Why would it be a stretch for a customer that bought 2 new sleds and hasn't ridden them yet to get the same treatment? If they were mine, they would be sitting at the dealer waiting for BRP to do the right thing and update them. I would be calling them every day until the updates were done.

“Updates”= new model-year changes, if you want the newest calibrations buy the newest model year sled. Why should brp warranty something that you don’t even know needs warranty. I have had zero belt issues in 1300 miles on my 17 with a roosterbuilt clutch kit, got 900 miles out of my last belt before I ran out of adjustment. I Did go through 2 bulkheads the year before last but last summer I put the 18 bulkhead brace in and bm fab front bumper and I cured that issue.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
“Updates”= new model-year changes, if you want the newest calibrations buy the newest model year sled. Why should brp warranty something that you don’t even know needs warranty. I have had zero belt issues in 1300 miles on my 17 with a roosterbuilt clutch kit, got 900 miles out of my last belt before I ran out of adjustment. I Did go through 2 bulkheads the year before last but last summer I put the 18 bulkhead brace in and bm fab front bumper and I cured that issue.

The sleds are 4 months out of the store and into storage ZERO MILES.

If its not good for an owner with 0 miles on a 2018 Gen4 sled why is BRP doing the upgrades for all UNSOLD 2017 2018 and 2019 sleds?

BTW did BRP warranty the bulkhead?

Last edited:
D
May 24, 2012
The sleds are 4 months out of the store and into storage.

If its not good for an owner with 0 miles on the sled why is BRP doing the upgrades for all UNSOLD 2017 2018 and 2019 sleds?

BTW did BRP warranty the bulkhead?

I agree, if it is good for one, then it is good for the others. I think the problem with those new pre-2019 unsold sleds is that they will be more difficult to sell without at least the engine mount upgrades. They are still not getting the fancy and expensive upgrades of the finned QRS stationary sheave or panel venting.

If you don't plan on buying the kit, I think that you should start by measuring (or have the dealer measure) the CtC distance, Y-X and sheave runout. If the CtC and Y-X is on the high side, and the runout is on the low side or on spec at 24 thou, then it should be ok. Of course ok isn't necessary enough, but it will get you started in the right direction.

Click here for pictures of the 2019 G4 Engine Mount Update Kit

T
Dec 22, 2008
Wenatchee,WA

If its not good for an owner with 0 miles on a 2018 Gen4 sled why is BRP doing the upgrades for all UNSOLD 2017 2018 and 2019 sleds?

BTW did BRP warranty the bulkhead?[/QUOTE

They partialy warranty the second bulkhead which was probably my fault it broke still, but I don’t think I hit anything hard since the first time it happened so they helped me out. The first time I broke my bulkhead it was 100% on me and 100% my fault, I hooked a rock with my carbide in a 20 mph side hill climbing out of a hole. I got thrown 20ft over the bars lol. I was probably the first person in the country to break one though I broke mine in November 2017.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I agree, if it is good for one, then it is good for the others. I think the problem with those new pre-2019 unsold sleds is that they will be more difficult to sell without at least the engine mount upgrades. They are still not getting the fancy and expensive upgrades of the finned QRS stationary sheave or panel venting.

If you don't plan on buying the kit, I think that you should start by measuring (or have the dealer measure) the CtC distance, Y-X and sheave runout. If the CtC and Y-X is on the high side, and the runout is on the low side or on spec at 24 thou, then it should be ok. Of course ok isn't necessary enough, but it will get you started in the right direction.

Click here for pictures of the 2019 G4 Engine Mount Update Kit

The concern is in time will the mounts rubber weaken and become out of spec in 100 or 3000 miles from now?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

BTW did BRP warranty the bulkhead?[/QUOTE

They partialy warranty the second bulkhead which was probably my fault it broke still, but I don’t think I hit anything hard since the first time it happened so they helped me out. The first time I broke my bulkhead it was 100% on me and 100% my fault, I hooked a rock with my carbide in a 20 mph side hill climbing out of a hole. I got thrown 20ft over the bars lol. I was probably the first person in the country to break one though I broke mine in November 2017.

Glad they fixed the bulkhead.

D
May 24, 2012
The concern is in time will the mounts rubber weaken and become out of spec in 100 or 3000 miles from now?

I wish that I knew. However the engine can be shimmed into better alignment for your riding profile and the mag mount won't be a problem. The bonus is that it's a lot less work. Certain jobs requires a great deal of work that can bring other problems, so sometimes less is more. Part of the campaign is to show we have different choices.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
THANK YOU DAAG44

As suggested contacted BRP Care @ 1-888-272-9222 and started a case few weeks ago.

Dealer contacted me … BRP approved the updated mounts and clutching performed by a SKIDOO dealer !!!

SNOWEST just saved me 100's of dollars and made my life safer and better BETTER than GEICO.

Premium Features