• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shredding belts

U
Jan 6, 2018
I just bought a 2018 Yamaha Sidewinder BTX. I've only got 350 miles on it and I've gone through 2 belts. I broke both of them in correctly. And everything is still stock no aftermarket clutching. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

J
Mar 15, 2018
i have absolutely obliterated 3 belts in under 900miles. My dealer has been excellent and trying to help me find a solution. I come from the turbo Nytro world where belts were never an issue so finding this very frustrating. I am currently trying a Nytro secondary and I am looking to vent the clutch side as clutches seem to be smoking hot each time I have the issue.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
What kind of riding are you doing? From what I have read, the trail riders aren't having any issues but the mountain riders are blowing belts pretty often.

I would be checking clutch alignment, motor mounts, and see if your secondary is slipping under load. The stock spring might be too soft from the factory.

X
Oct 8, 2009
If you are running a gates carbon belt, throw them away. They delaminate and explode under high power. I have not thrown a belt since I made the switch to the ultimate XS.

Next, it sounds like you have poor clutching. Belt slip causes excessive clutch heat and that leads to failure. If that is your issue, you need more clamping force on the belt. That requires new weights, stronger primary and secondary springs, and potentially a helix. What clutch gets the hottest? If it is the secondary, you need more force there. If it is the primary, you need more weight or a change in ramp profile. I wont clutch the sled. Call thunder products or someone familiar with your riding style. Ask thunder products about your helix. If the sled is tuned running stock clutching, you have to update the clutching for more power. If your clutches have been machined for over drive but the helix has not, you may be separating belts because the secondary sheeve is mechanically unable to reach an equivalent full shift to the primary.

Lastly, the sled is not limited to 85 or 88 at full load on a trail. I pull those track speeds under full load in chute. To do that takes about 350 hp. The thunder guys are into the 120 to 130s with smaller lug tracks on the trail. If it has stock gearing and helix, the secondary may be binding. I run factory clutches with a 911 cover, which eliminates tower flex in the factory viper clutch. Also, the thunder guys have said there is an issue with the factory winder clutch. The updates have weakened it compared to prior yamaha clutches.

Last edited:
P
Feb 6, 2021
Hi guys. I have a standard Sidewinder BTX 153 LE 2020 model year sled. I ride on rivers and deep snow. My belts are constantly tearing. The clutch is very hot. What can you advise to get away from the problem? There is an upper gear - 24T, the lower - 50T. I plan to install the upper 21T, the lower 49T, as on MTX. And ordered a secondary spring EPI acss-5.
Do I need an additional load after installing other gears?

Last edited:
Premium Features