• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viper Mountain or Moutain Max

N
Dec 1, 2009
Devils Lake, ND
Alrite guys and girls im thinkin about a back up sled and was wondering if i should go with a mountain max or a mountain viper, what won is better for for playing around in the mountains im not much of a high marker or whatever u want to call it but some in put would be great thanks..... Sal

P
Nov 16, 2009
viper

I have ridden mt max several times and they felt a bit heavy. I just picked up an 05 viper mountain and i came off a light summit and surprisingly the viper felt every bit as light as the summit and way lighter than the max. It also has a way better ride than either one and handles very nice and easy. I am an agressive rider and it is very pleasant, in fact i put my wife on it the rare times she goes because i dont have to worry about her being able to handle it. I was very surprised with it and would highly recommend the viper mt. I don't know about earlier years but the 05 is a dream.

M

mitty26

Jan 4, 2008
Alberta
Def go with the mountain max . i had the mountain viper and rode with a couple guys with the mm. To me the max seemed to work better. We all had slp pipes on them and the viper would always choke out in the powder. Brother in law and good friend still have mountain vipers and to this day we can't get the powder bog cleared up. We have tried adding vents to the cowling behind the windshield to taping everything off under the hood. Dont no if its steam from the pipes or just starving for air. Anyways if i was to do it over i would def go max and it would be 01 and up.

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
My vote goes to the Viper Mtn. My nephew rides a 2000 MM and I ride a 2005 Viper Mtn. If you go with an early MM the track angle was changed in 2000 for better approach to the snow. Both are good machines, but stock to stock the Viper Mtn has more snort and handles better IMO. I believe most Viper Mtns also came with 144" track vs 141" on MM. In 2005 the Viper Mtn went to the Pro Mountain suspension which is somewhat better riding than the older ProAction and added the newer style Mountain skis which gives you the option to move spacers in the saddle to set skis in or out, with about 1 inch of adjustment on each ski. The MMs do not have the power valves if mantainance is an issue. You must clean them occasionally. This is a back up sled and a MM would be less money to spend, but my vote still goes to the Viper Mtn. Good luck with your decision.

N
Dec 1, 2009
Devils Lake, ND
Hey guys thanks a lot for the impute its awesome info because i know basically nothing of these to sleds. i got into the snowmobile world when 4 stroke came out so I’m new to the sled world and really new to the mountain riding but i do love my 08 nytro mtx witch is going to get a super big make over as soon as this deployment is over so yes great info guys thanks again for taking the time to look at the post and comment.

N
Oct 27, 2008
Billings, MT
I would go with the Viper. My main ride right now is a Viper with a 151 and a 835cc Bender engine. My backup/wife sled is a Mountain Max with a 151. The Viper in my opinion has a better chassis and is easier to put on its side. That comparison is with both sleds not having sway bars.

MTMAXMaN

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
Wisconsin
Both are good. The viper has a better look than the MM. I don't know if you are looking to spend some money on upgrades or just run stock?
But for me it is the MM. I run a 01 MM 162 pc with a vanamburg extended d&r case, light weight t-arms, custom lightweight seat, pipes, custom hauck bb. and clutching. It's not a Sunday cruiser at all. Many people under estimate these sleds until they ride one or see what they can do. Another thing is I only have about 5K into it total, not 10-15K.
I have saw many great modded vipers that can hold their own with new sleds.
:pop2:

B
Feb 3, 2010
The MMax all the way. The redhead is argueably the most reliable motor yamaha ever built. No power valves to clean or break/pull through. The chassis is basically the same all around. The only difference in the front is they added taller spindles on the trailing arms and compensated for the ride height in the ski mounts(same front shocks). The rear skid is the same (ride height) other than 141 vs 144. 2001 or newer MMax gets my vote. over 15000 miles on my SXr (same motor) and still goin strong. add a set of used pipes and put the 700 around 130 HP RELIABLY. Alot more tuning and coolant issues involved with piping the Viper. My .02$:beer;

C
Dec 5, 2001
Colorado Springs, CO
There is a lot of good input here ... I would simply say the MM motor is more reliable that a Viper but there are better offsets outside of the motor on the Viper that may make that more appealing. May come down to what you find for sale ~ cost wise; ultimately you will be really happy with either.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Co Yam has a very valid point about the MM motor vs the Viper motor. The MM motor will give you thousands of hassle free miles, they may no produce the same hp as a Viper motor but this is a back up/spare sled you're talking about.
The Viper motors are subject to melting down in the mid range or just tooling down a trail at a constant speed or throttle position which causes a lean condition. This can be overcome with spot on jetting and also running a set of EGT's to kep an eye on the burn.
Chassis wise they're both running the same tunnel, approach angle, rear skid and bulkhead. The only real differance is the Front Shocks, Trailing Arms, Upper Radius Rods, Plastic (hood, Belly Pan) and Seat. All of which can be interchanged if so desired
I have a 01 MM (w/144 Camo) and a 03 Mtn Viper (w/156 Camo), they're both tunneled w/ Drop n Rolls with very similar chassis set up. The MM motor is untouched except for a Bender Can, and the Viper has a Bender 835 thats been ported and running Bender Triples. Both are extremly fun to ride in just about every snow condition but I favor the Viper when the POW is deep because of the xtra HP power and track.

M
Dec 4, 2009
Colorado
mm all the way

For your purpose, a backup sled. I would recomend a mountain max. I had a buddy who had a viper. It may have been a bad viper? But he always seemed to have problems. It didn't like the powder. It always seemed touchy. My mm would always run, and usually start with one pull. reliabilty and hassle free riding, it is your ticket

RX-1MT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Butte Montana
GOT AN 03 VIPER MTN, 151 TRACK BENDER PIPES REEDS SIMMONS SKIS LIGHT WEIGHT TRAILING ARMS $3300 406-593-1061

Premium Features