• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 SRX & 97 Mtn Max

J
Oct 14, 2009
I have the chassis for a 97 Mtn Max. The Vin says 96 which if I'm not mistaken means 97 is the model year. This is what I'm learning from the SRX triple. Which has a 97 vin but Yamaha didn't make a SRX that year.

Basically I want to take the 98 SRX triple and put it in the 97 Mtn Max chassis. the engine mounts appear to not be the same. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Can it be done even if I need to fabricate the mounts?

J
Oct 14, 2009
elaboration on the 97 mtn max 98 srx

Basically I want to take the 98 SRX triple and put it in the 97 Mtn Max chassis.

I meant to say I wanted to take the engine of the 98 srx and put it in the m97 Mtn max chassis.. Sorry for the bad typing.

motor mounts will be the least of your problems. it would be alot easier to put the mtn max skid in the srx and the end result would be nearly the same, with alot less headaches. tunnels are about the same, less mounting points. the srx has a different bulkhead to accomodate the larger engine and triple pipes, shock mounts and shocks are different from the 2 models as is the hood, etc. yes, its been done, but its a ton of work, and you really have nothing to gain when compared to the 2 model years. you would have, in essence, a mtn srx by putting the mm skid in the srx. nothing to gain srxing the mtn max.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
X2.

Long track the SRX. All the parts off the MtMax will work on the SRX. Eric

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
X3,

There is a lot of work that goes into swapping the motors out. The other thing to do is either disconnect the stabilizer bars on the front or try to switch out the radius rods and shocks to narrow up the front end. (I could be mistaken but the SRX's had a wider ski stance).

Used to know more about the yamaha's but i've moved on to cat, still have old reliable around though :)

Y
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonds, WA
I ran into a similar situation a couple years ago... I'm still riding my "SRX MTN MAX". Instead of swapping motors I long tracked the SRX, cut the sway bar, and put the narrow radius rods from the MM. The narrow rods also lifted the front end of the SRX about 1.5.

The only advantage to the MM chassis over the SRX is the more narrow belly pan.

Let me know if you need any more help, i'm still riding my sled and love it.

J
Oct 14, 2009
More help please?

Well I just finished the project this weekend. I have one issue though. I did the fab's on the engine mounts and transferred everything down to the jackshaft and braking.

I even hammered out the steering bar location for the srx steering bar so the carbs would fit. quite an interesting job. Well everything seems to run great but I can't seem to the get the over heating light to go off.

There isn't any kinks in the hoses and the resevior is full. any suggestions on how I could analyze this? Ice on the rails to cool the fluid? Should I hook up the compressor and blow out the lines incase some critter tried to make a home out of the MM?

again I'll thank anyone in advance for your suggestions.:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
So did you decide to put the SRX motor in the MM? Ya i would check the system once over to make sure there are no air pockets as mentioned above and if you still have an issue it could be electrical. do you have a way of measuring the water temp?

J
Oct 14, 2009
Yah I put the engine in the MM. It's pretty sick to be honest. The fabs seem like they will work great. can't wait to run it.

I didn't bleed the lines and so an air picket is a thought to me too. It was full during transport and so I hoped I didn't need to bleed.

As for measureing the temp... I have a couple different temp measuring devises but I'm not sure where I should take the measurement. right straight from the resevior?

once i upload the drivers for my phone I'll post a few pics for yah. Thanks for the help again.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Well one way to check real quick if you have an air pocket is to see if you have flow. Just make sure that both running board heat exchangers are getting warm. If not they you probably have an air pocket. just make sure the back is higher than the engine and use the rear bleeder. May have to pump the fluid by squeezing the coolant line. My old 97 had a leak would develop an air pocket if the coolent level got a little low.

J
Oct 14, 2009
No custom pipes I used the srx hood and thats it. simple. I'll send pics with hood on and with it open but you'll have to wait til i get home later.

J
Oct 14, 2009
To make posting the pics easier can someone tell me how to on this site before i get to the house later? I'm obviously new to the site so alittle preemptive thinking is all.

J
Oct 14, 2009
srx/MM engine swap Pics

Here's some pics

200912021997MtnMaxSRX700

:beer;

so it would appear that the srx hood hangs over the mm belly pan by a good 2" on each side? nice job on the engine placement, fit and finish may leave a little to be desired? now i know which way i am going. thanks for the hard work.

Premium Features