• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will it work?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Cmon Scud. Did you read it? ;) Pretty sure than my 7 year old can do better.
I think that Doo has it dialed with eh 19 sleds. Update your rig to 19.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Cmon Scud. Did you read it? ;) Pretty sure than my 7 year old can do better.
I think that Doo has it dialed with eh 19 sleds. Update your rig to 19.

HA!!! That would be a Godsend if it was true. I got fairly lucky with my 18'. Only one belt last year and that was because it was worn down. Didn't grenade on me. I run the blow hole and was looking for some place to help pull air from.

I think it would get plugged or let fine snow in from looking at it.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You could put screen mesh behind it to keep snow out.

IMHO would look at VELOUR type vents and place them up top on the side cover.

Put screen mesh behind the vent to minimize snow getting in.

Vibrations should help keep vents clear AND forward motion will create a vacuum helping a velour vent draw out the heat on top of the engine compartment.

Suggest a couple directly above the exhaust muffler.

On the clutch side I went with the SLP kit

SLP Hot Air Elimination Kit LEFT HAND SIDE For Ski-Doo Gen4 850 17-18 32-638 approx. $60 street

Here are the ones I purchased to use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Inch-Bla...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
approx. $5 street

Skidoo does sell a similar type vent in a bundle.

Ski-Doo New OEM Side Panel Black Heat Vent Kit, 860200328

NEW GENUINE SKIDOO SKI DOO BODY SIDE PANEL VENT KIT UNIVERSAL MXZ REV XP/XS/XR 860200684

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUIN...172018&hash=item5b4d12f66a:g:0wYAAOSwU~Fbs4rN

My experience is from owning a Yamha Apex and a Polaris 900 RMK. An engineer from Polaris who field tested sleds to work out the quirks advised me of Velour type vents. Plus ask a sailor !!!

BTW did you cut and drill the belt cover? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9c8_EwmCp4

Last edited:

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Donbrown, I have a few vents already installed along with a blow hole. Just trying to find some more areas for the blow hole to pull air from. Oh, yes, I do have my clutch cover cut down and looking like swiss cheese :)
I have not looked at the Ski-doo vents for the G4. Had them on my 2016 though but then again that sled never had an issue with getting super hot in the belt compartment.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Donbrown, I have a few vents already installed along with a blow hole. Just trying to find some more areas for the blow hole to pull air from. Oh, yes, I do have my clutch cover cut down and looking like swiss cheese :)
I have not looked at the Ski-doo vents for the G4. Had them on my 2016 though but then again that sled never had an issue with getting super hot in the belt compartment.

After upgrading the motor mounts ….

Have you aligned the clutch … under operating torque parameters with the torque applied at 7900ish RPM ?

The big issue is keeping the clutch / belt cool , correct ?

have you looked at installing vents in the front grill? Ski-Doo Prefilter Gen4 Grill Kit 860201224

Our belt guards are swiss cheesed ~~~

Last edited:

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
After upgrading the motor mounts ….

Have you aligned the clutch … under operating torque parameters with the torque applied at 7900ish RPM ?

The big issue is keeping the clutch / belt cool , correct ?

have you looked at installing vents in the front grill? Ski-Doo Prefilter Gen4 Grill Kit 860201224

Our belt guards are swiss cheesed ~~~

The 18' comes with the prefilter installed from factory. I am not that good of wrench to answer your other questions. I have to believe my dealer service department has done that for me....I hope.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The left side vent on the 19 sleds isn't just a vent. The clutch cover has a hole in the center that mates with a foam ring that goes into a compartment on the left panel (kinda like the Rev airbox intakes) that vents to that vent on the left side. SO the vent goes right to the clutches. I guess it should suck air, I originally thought that it would blow air. Not sure which. As I recall the 19 sleds also have a finned secondary to move the air. I would think that if someone were to start cutting on the 19 cover it would destroy how that works.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
The 18' comes with the prefilter installed from factory. I am not that good of wrench to answer your other questions. I have to believe my dealer service department has done that for me....I hope.

Here is the upgrade JUST approved in August 2018

https://www.ski-doo.com/content/ski-doo/en_US/community/ontrack/Ski-Doo-2019-product-updates.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZeXWRZmzM&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

The vents help alleviate the heat issue BUT the primary cause may be belt misalignment.

Why are you adding vents?

Have you damaged a belt?

How many miles are belts lasting before failure?

Suggest calling your dealer or contact Manufacturer BRP Care @ 1-888-272-9222 and ask if the motor mounts have been upgraded.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
The left side vent on the 19 sleds isn't just a vent. The clutch cover has a hole in the center that mates with a foam ring that goes into a compartment on the left panel (kinda like the Rev airbox intakes) that vents to that vent on the left side. SO the vent goes right to the clutches. I guess it should suck air, I originally thought that it would blow air. Not sure which. As I recall the 19 sleds also have a finned secondary to move the air. I would think that if someone were to start cutting on the 19 cover it would destroy how that works.

Good point.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Here is the upgrade JUST approved in August 2018

https://www.ski-doo.com/content/ski-doo/en_US/community/ontrack/Ski-Doo-2019-product-updates.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZeXWRZmzM&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

The vents help alleviate the heat issue BUT the primary cause may be belt misalignment.

Why are you adding vents?

Have you damaged a belt?

How many miles are belts lasting before failure?

Suggest calling your dealer or contact Manufacturer BRP Care @ 1-888-272-9222 and ask if the motor mounts have been upgraded.

I read that a while back. I was kinda bummed that they were only going to help out folks that had existing claims.
2017 I opened claims, complained, etc. Hated Doo, almost bailed. NO help.
2018 the sleds were better, was just happy that I could get 200 miles out of a belt, when I got 1400 out of my 16 sleds. Was bummed that because I didn't complain, I couldn't get updates.
2019: Hoping they got their **** together!!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I read that a while back. I was kinda bummed that they were only going to help out folks that had existing claims.
2017 I opened claims, complained, etc. Hated Doo, almost bailed. NO help.
2018 the sleds were better, was just happy that I could get 200 miles out of a belt, when I got 1400 out of my 16 sleds. Was bummed that because I didn't complain, I couldn't get updates.
2019: Hoping they got their **** together!!

Suggest calling Manufacturer BRP Care @ 1-888-272-9222 and get a case #

Then have dealer reply to case # EXPLAINING belt failure every 200 miles

10 business should have reply.

Premium Features