• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 M8000 Chain and Gears

G

GONSLDN

Dec 4, 2007
I just purchased the 21/49 gear set with 90 pin chain from BDX and can't seem to get the gears and chain on it's almost like its one link to short. Anyone else have the same issue or know what I can try to get the gears and chain on? Please help!

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Did you try installing them both at the same time, 21/49 gears and a 90 pitch chain should fit. I have the same set up on mine.

G

GONSLDN

Dec 4, 2007
Yes but I'm going to try again in the morning. After about an hour of trying last night i got frustrated so I thought I'd better stop for the night. Is yours a 14 and was it worth the change?

WYOF7EXT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2011
Laramie, WY
I don't have my notes but in I think'15 they changed to Borg Warner hyvo chains. The earlier chains are a different brand. Side by side the links have the same spacing on the pins but the teeth mesh different so it acts like there is a missing tooth.
I did the mountain cat conversion on my '12 and had to buy sprockets to go with the longer M/C chain.
Sounds like they sold you mismatched stuff?

G

GONSLDN

Dec 4, 2007
I don't have my notes but in I think'15 they changed to Borg Warner hyvo chains. The earlier chains are a different brand. Side by side the links have the same spacing on the pins but the teeth mesh different so it acts like there is a missing tooth.
I did the mountain cat conversion on my '12 and had to buy sprockets to go with the longer M/C chain.
Sounds like they sold you mismatched stuff?
I did get the new chain also but i do agree i think they sent me the wrong parts kit for my sled.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I
Sep 23, 2016
You got the right stuff...its just that fricken tight, tight enough you wont need to run your tensioner. I ran into the same issues last yr installing mine. Going back 20x50 this yr. I want more snap, if that aint enough im goin back to a 19 top like factory

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Yes but I'm going to try again in the morning. After about an hour of trying last night i got frustrated so I thought I'd better stop for the night. Is yours a 14 and was it worth the change?

No mine is a 16 and it does help.

G

GONSLDN

Dec 4, 2007
I did get it tonight. I didn't have the lower gear on far enough to get the little slack i needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Premium Features