• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 wheel kit on MM w/ stock wheels and axle

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
can anyone tell me how to make a 2 wheel kit on my mountain max with the stock axle and wheels? thanks

96j

Oct 13, 2008
nw iowa
2 wheel axle

just took my stock axle to my buddy that has a machine shop, to have him cut it down and put threads on it. then just used two of the stock wheels and put in the inside. he gave me a deal, but should only take someone else only a few mins. love the way it handles now, plus looks awsome.

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
yeah that's not the part i'm worried about, i'm trying to figure out how to mount it to the rails, and have it adjustable..

how did the handeling improve?

it would appear, at a glance, if you left the stock adjusters in place, removed the spacers from behind the outer wheels, cut that much off the axle on each side, reuse the stock flat washers, you would be there. does your skid have the 3 wheel configuration, or 4 wheels? if yours is 3, the factory spacer from a 4 wheel axle would simplify things.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
it would appear, at a glance, if you left the stock adjusters in place, removed the spacers from behind the outer wheels, cut that much off the axle on each side, reuse the stock flat washers, you would be there. does your skid have the 3 wheel configuration, or 4 wheels? if yours is 3, the factory spacer from a 4 wheel axle would simplify things.

That is exactly what I have determined I would need to do to get mine to work. I picked up a stock shaft as a spare but have not cut the old one yet.

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho

sounds simple enough, and it's a 4 wheel. thanks for the help!

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
If you need some parts made, modified let me know I would take care of you. I just need to know what you want to acomplish and measurements.

The rest is easy !

I did the same thing to the wifes m7

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
haha alright i'll post up pics and show how it turns out..once i get to it that is.

thanks for the help guys

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
I'm planning to use this axle on my Apex:
http://bd-xtreme.com/pro-liteseriesrear2-wheelkit.aspx

It's lighter than the yamaha and only $20.

You'll need the axle, two 3/8" stainless bolts, and you'll reuse the sleeves from your old axle.

It'll save you some work cutting down the yamaha axle, and it's made better.

If you ever need sleeves, you can buy 3/4" schedule 40 aluminum pipe from any metal store, and they should be able to cut it to any length you want on the bandsaw. It's nearly a perfect fit for the sleeves. I'm using that so I can switch to my old yamaha axle if I don't like the 2 wheel setup.

Mark

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I'm planning to use this axle on my Apex:
http://bd-xtreme.com/pro-liteseriesrear2-wheelkit.aspx

It's lighter than the yamaha and only $20.

You'll need the axle, two 3/8" stainless bolts, and you'll reuse the sleeves from your old axle.

It'll save you some work cutting down the yamaha axle, and it's made better.

If you ever need sleeves, you can buy 3/4" schedule 40 aluminum pipe from any metal store, and they should be able to cut it to any length you want on the bandsaw. It's nearly a perfect fit for the sleeves. I'm using that so I can switch to my old yamaha axle if I don't like the 2 wheel setup.

Mark

Does anyone know if this shaft is the same size and the stock MMax shaft? Black Diamond says it will fit 1M, King Cat, M-Series and X-fires. Bearing size of 22mm. Does that mean that the bearing needs to be a 22mm to fit the axle?

Thanks, Lt Rascal

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Does anyone know if this shaft is the same size and the stock MMax shaft? Black Diamond says it will fit 1M, King Cat, M-Series and X-fires. Bearing size of 22mm. Does that mean that the bearing needs to be a 22mm to fit the axle?

Thanks, Lt Rascal

MM shaft is 20mm If you use the Black diamond shaft it would be close. You would likely have to Machine or sand paper/emrycloth a little off the shaft to work with the stock 7" Yamaha wheels and open up the slot in your rails just a hair. Might fit fine though. I think you could use the 7" cat wheels also. Like the ones on an 03 1M. If your on abudget just cut you shaft drill and tap and make the spacers like mentioned above. Pretty easy.

Y
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonds, WA
I dug up this old thread because i'm going to go ahead and to the same thing to my MM. Just curious how the custom axle worked out for any of you guys?

Also wondering if anyone has the measurements from a 4 wheel setup or from your custom 2 wheel setup so I can get some spacers cut.

Thanks!

Y

yamaha3

Sep 30, 2009
Spearfish, SD
What i did is took the spacer that is between the wheel on the inside and cut it off so that another wheel would fit on the inside. Then went to the local hardware store and got a piece of pipe for like 30 cents and cut the same space out and moved that little piece to the outside where the wheel was on the outside. bolted it back up and its just the same thing as it was just on the inside. I will try to post some pictures up soon.

Premium Features