• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody try TRS clutching on a turbo pro without gearing down?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
well i know Tony would say that using his setup
includes ALL the pieces and that includes gearing
(at least that what he had to explain to me a couple times)

you're kinda in uncharted waters if you change his setup

maybe someone will chime in

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Yeah, I wish Polaris would make some options to gear down with the belt drive instead of having to go aftermarket. I asked Tony and he didnt know how it would act... and didn't know of anyone trying it yet.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Gearing and driver size are a huge component in the clutching game. If you change one it can throw the whole balance and functionality out the window.

On my sleds I run custom 9 tooth drivers (as I refuse to go smaller). Tony would not even guess as to a starting point for me.

You can learn a lot from reading the other TRS's clutching info Thread, about reading the belt and clutches and tuning / tweaking things from what the CVT is telling you.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Gearing and driver size are a huge component in the clutching game. If you change one it can throw the whole balance and functionality out the window.

On my sleds I run custom 9 tooth drivers (as I refuse to go smaller). Tony would not even guess as to a starting point for me.

You can learn a lot from reading the other TRS's clutching info Thread, about reading the belt and clutches and tuning / tweaking things from what the CVT is telling you.

Thanks guys,
Yes, when you change gearing or driver size it changes the torque feedback your secondary receives. Which will need clutching tweaked.
Case in point, I drop and rolled my NA '12. Installed 8 tooth 3.0 pitch drivers and 3" track. Clutching wasn't finalized last spring. It has its own set of issues to deal with. Bottom and mid were spot on by spring. The driver/track combo was giving me belt grip issues from 3/4 the way up the primary to shift out. Sled is geared to same mph as it was with 8 tooth 2.86 drivers and 2.5 camo track. The drop and roll combination has more tunnel clearance so evac is not a factor.
Back to topic, different gearing or driver combos need testing. As the TRS thread Tory started shows, the 7 tooth driver and gearing changes in the AXYS needs massaging.
Tory is going to test my 2015 163 stock belt drive setup in a comparable AXYS.
Waiting for feedback, and not being able to test personally is tough.

Last edited:
M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
how does the belt drive compare to a chaincase or is it the same 2.3 is 2.3. I am buying gears to get to 2.3 was going to run 20/44 or 19/44 with 7 tooth drivers and 2.6.

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
anomaly as in the stock 7 tooth drivers are too small and should go to 8 tooth or not relevant to the topic or gearing and driver sizes?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
anomaly as in the stock 7 tooth drivers are too small and should go to 8 tooth or not relevant to the topic or gearing and driver sizes?

7 tooth 2.86 gives tunnel clearance for sure.
8 tooth 2.86 and 2.6 track gets tight. The 2.6 is the same height as the camo 2.5. We trimmed the camo 2.5 outside lugs .200" to get enough room to evac snow. Before the trim you could feel the tunnel move and vibrate packing with snow. That situation also kills your clutching.
So there is no absolute answer to your question. Secondary spring testing is where you will end up.
Ill post a primary pic of my last trip with the D&R. There were numerous riding days on this clutch setup. Heavy tree riding to open hills. This was the sled I wrecked on last spring. The rubber on the bottom is from unloading off the sled deck. It's not there during day riding. Good old reverse notch.
Edit:
This is a stock Pro clutch with the 12* bottom sheave angle and 14* upper sheave angle after transition.

IMG_0488.JPG

Last edited:
M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
Thanks for taking the time to help us new turbo guys. You provide a ton of good info for free, thanks.

Premium Features