• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gopro Hero 3's (Black and Silver)

T

T.O.T.

Dec 26, 2012
I am sooo not techie... As I am sure either of these would be great for snowmobiling which is the biggest bang for the buck? I am looking at buying my first GP

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Same here--I am leaning toward the silver. Never owned or used one. Am I going to be disappointed with the silver.
Not looking for professional quality film. Just taking video of riding with my friends and family. Is 60 frames per second enough?
Thanks for the help!

BigT

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The new gopro hero 3+ black is out now for $399. So you can find the original gopro hero 3 black for $329 online.

P

PoPoFusion

Sep 16, 2012
central michigan
I just bought the 3+ Silver Sunday.
After a couple days of research I determined that it will be sufficient for my purposes. I just want to capture some of the fun on the trails. I will be using it year 'round as we ride ATV's also.

Here is why I chose the Silver - The only functional differences between the Silver and the Black are a 10 megapixel camera on the Silver and a 12 megapixel camera on the Black and you get a Wi-Fi remote with the Black.

10 Megapixels is sufficient to create a 16"x20" picture quality photo.

The Black has more video resolution settings. Depending on how hardcore you want to be those may be worth the extra $100.

If you have a smartphone - you can do everything the Wi-Fi remote can do that comes with the Black. Actually, I think it's better because you can see what the camera is seeing on your phone [about a 5 second delay. They call it 'near real time;)]and look at what you've captured immediately.

It was a no-brainer for me. I spent the other $100 [actually it was $94] on a 32 gig Class 10 SD card. You don't have to have a 32 gig card, but it does have to be Class 10 [they cost more than your normal SD cards] and you need it for any of the Hero3+ cameras. So, the $399 Black version is going to cost $499 before you can use it.

Last edited:

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Just bought the silver myself. Did a little research and determined that it was more than sufficient for what I wanted.
Question though--anyone use the droid app for looking at the vids and use as a remote. Just curious if its worth the time or should i actually purchase the previewer.
Let me know whats up....
Thanks

BigT

sabels

Premium Member
Dec 19, 2007
Flatlands
Just bought the silver myself. Did a little research and determined that it was more than sufficient for what I wanted.
Question though--anyone use the droid app for looking at the vids and use as a remote. Just curious if its worth the time or should i actually purchase the previewer.
Let me know whats up....
Thanks

BigT

I have the gopro app for both my phone and ipad. It's pretty sweet for setting up shots or angles. You can control all the settings and watch your videos. Will use the remote when riding but will be nice to watch my footage afterwards on the app. I wouldn't buy the backpack viewer just download the app for free it's pretty sweet.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It was a no-brainer for me. I spent the other $100 [actually it was $94] on a 32 gig Class 10 SD card. You don't have to have a 32 gig card, but it does have to be Class 10 [they cost more than your normal SD cards]

Wow! I paid $33 for a 64GB class 10(on sale) but regular is only $59 at Costco and 32GB is only $35. Gopro silver was $229 so $262 plus tax

Premium Features