• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Want back in the Game

B
Jan 1, 2016
I haven't been riding in about 12 years and a buddy dragged me up the other day. You guessed it I want back in. With two kids in college there will be no new sleds for me. I rode Cats back in the day but my local dealer is not what it used to be. Just looked at a 09 800cc 155 Dragon that's been well cared for. It's about what I'm looking from a different local dealer. Lets hear your opinions. Under $3K for a starter.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
It probably goes without saying, all sleds with miles on them (the less, the better) will need worn parts replaced. Assuming that the track, shocks & skis are in working order, check the hyfax & clutches as they are big wear & tear parts. In my opinion, it's the motor that counts, because that's what you are paying for in longevity. I'm a Cat owner; Polaris has made some ok & some great chassis, but with questionable 800 twin motors. The Cat Suzuki 800's are legendary for durability & that's where my suggestions would start, '09 to '11 M800. They will all need some wear parts replaced, but if the motor is solid I could spend less $ just addressing the replacement of lower cost worn parts. Happy Sledding!:juggle:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I haven't been riding in about 12 years and a buddy dragged me up the other day. You guessed it I want back in. With two kids in college there will be no new sleds for me. I rode Cats back in the day but my local dealer is not what it used to be. Just looked at a 09 800cc 155 Dragon that's been well cared for. It's about what I'm looking from a different local dealer. Lets hear your opinions. Under $3K for a starter.

Do not buy anything Polaris built from 2005-2012.

If I was looking for a used Polaris sled it would be a '13 or newer.

For $3k or less go with a 2009 M8.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Dragon chassis still induces a great big grin to ride but after three engines and one or more of major eectrical/electrnic components, I would not touch one. Friends with the kit and big enough pistons and lucky guys without claim no problems.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Or look at a 600. Less maintenance less top end overhauls.

For three grand buy in the summer.

IMHO save up and buy a 2013 or newer. If you have good credit you can buy a new SKIDOO850 SUMMIT zero financing for under 10 grand and pay 160 month.

The technology advances on new sleds are amazing.

BUT I agree get a 09 SUMMIT or like I originally stated a 600 sled

Last edited:

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab

If the 09 dragon has the fix kit (shim under cylinders with taller pistons) and the updated voltage regulator (2010 voltage regulator) then it should do you well.. I still have two 09's, running strong after the updates. If those updates are not done, your probably looking at $1000-$1200 to install so I would likely walk.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I would completely agree with the assessment of the 2005-2012 Polaris 800 sleds, run, do not walk from those. I also agree that the best choice in the $3k sled market is a '10-11 Arctic Cat M8. Fun to ride, powerful and reliable. The Ski Doo sleds from the same time, '08+ XP are a close second. Good motors but the chassis is a little more fragile if you like to jump or bash through the trees.

B
Jan 1, 2016
Thanks all, I'll be waiting for summer to buy, at least on of my kids will be done with College. I also will go for a Cat or a Doo as service is close. I'm not afraid of a little work but sure don't want a basket case.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Tougher to find sleds for sale in the summer, most do not maintain ads all summer. Any season but summer should be good shopping. Keep in mind that a brief ride on a prospective sled will tell you a lot, hard to test ride in the summer.

Good Luck

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks all, I'll be waiting for summer to buy, at least on of my kids will be done with College. I also will go for a Cat or a Doo as service is close. I'm not afraid of a little work but sure don't want a basket case.

I don't know where you are BUT look all the time in local papers / online.

Best deals tend to be March thru end of season when people are buying new leftovers and want to get rid of existing sleds.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Your post got me curious about just how much sled could one buy for only $3,000.00. A quick look of craigslist proved that it may be possible to find exactly what you are looking for, saw several Arctic Cat M8s, RMKs and XPs that could "get you back in the game".

Agree with the "end of season" being a good time to find your sled.

Be picky and wait for a low mile, properly maintained sled, they do exist.

Have fun!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Don't rule out Yamaha.
$3500 will buy a nytro that will run until Jesus returns.

72a5a8b394a15407a8ed56251b937283375ba4cbd7f4a89da4c69bd39c2ac177.jpg

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Don't rule out Yamaha.
$3500 will buy a nytro that will run until Jesus returns.

Only problem is you will have to find other Yammi riders to ride with because I am not going into the woods with a guy on a 650lb sled. Dig that pig out yourself! I think a used Nytro is a horrible idea... Keep that one on the trail, or better yet the trailer...

S

Steve86

Nov 28, 2007
Rathdrum, ID
I will chime in on the M8 as well. Theres a reason they all turbod that sled. Engine is bulletproof!!! Sled a bit heavy by todays standards but very hard to break and still pretty good flickable sled with enough practice.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I will chime in on the M8 as well. Theres a reason they all turbod that sled. Engine is bulletproof!!! Sled a bit heavy by todays standards but very hard to break and still pretty good flickable sled with enough practice.

The stock '10 M8 is only 550 lbs. RTR, still not bad; drop another 15 -18 lbs with a quality can! The older chassis rides with a lower cg, so feels more planted, but still a very capable sled. I rode mine yesterday back to back with my Mountain Cat & will keep the '10 as a great back-up ride! In early or late set-up snow it may even be my 1st choice to ride (installed '19 ProClimb G2 skis; great improvement) especially since it runs 2 tunnel coolers! = NO overheating & NO scratchers!

S

Steve86

Nov 28, 2007
Rathdrum, ID
The stock '10 M8 is only 550 lbs. RTR, still not bad; drop another 15 -18 lbs with a quality can! The older chassis rides with a lower cg, so feels more planted, but still a very capable sled. I rode mine yesterday back to back with my Mountain Cat & will keep the '10 as a great back-up ride! In early or late set-up snow it may even be my 1st choice to ride (installed '19 ProClimb G2 skis; great improvement) especially since it runs 2 tunnel coolers! = NO overheating & NO scratchers!

yes sir, great sleds!!

Premium Features