• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question about Ice Scratchers

S
Nov 13, 2016
Hey, would I need ice scratchers for my sled?

I have a Freeride 146' 2.25 with side panel vents. I ride on quite a bit of lakes/roads to get to backcountry. Are there any downsides to having them?

Also would I be able to install a pair myself if I just bought them? Are they pretty selfexplanatory and easy to use?

Thanks

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
No downsides at all. You will need them if you do extended hard pack or icy road riding.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
Hey, would I need ice scratchers for my sled?

I have a Freeride 146' 2.25 with side panel vents. I ride on quite a bit of lakes/roads to get to backcountry. Are there any downsides to having them?

Also would I be able to install a pair myself if I just bought them? Are they pretty selfexplanatory and easy to use?

Thanks

There's no downside to them, you could easily install them yourself and they're very easy to use. The Skidoo brand scratchers are very well reviewed if you've looked at those.

Edit: You might not NEED them ever but this is one of those things that's much nicer to have and not need. I used to throw my scratchers down even when the temps were reasonable to give me peace of mind knowing that the sliders were well lubricated too.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I use the new ski doo ones, they work great. You have to drill to install them but its not bad if your careful.

Overheated my sled ( light came on ) once on the trail put them down it cooled down pretty much instantly.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
One of the very best features of scratchers is that when you get stuck, you can look down and see that your scratcher got bumped down, and you can blame it on that.

Just look at it as a $50 scapegoat....
.. and the fact that the sliders don't stick dogfast to the track is always a plus as well....

Premium Features