• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05 Summit x 800 144"..now what?

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
Hey guys, just picked up a 2005 summit x 800 144" has 3k miles and pretty much stock. got it for cheap as the pull start is shot, new one is on order.
now i need some suggestions on what to do next to get it ready for the next season
should i rebuild it just to be safe? anything i need to do to be sure i have a realiable sled for my trips west? any input is appreciated thanks! :face-icon-small-coo

S

Ski-Doosh

Aug 1, 2014
Delta Jct AK
Number 1 Change your username, its either polaris or ski-doo:face-icon-small-win.

Number 2 Make sure it starts, you might have gotten a good price because it wont start and the guy broke the recoil and sold it to you.

Number 3 Check the compression, go from there, i have heard of 800s making it between 500 and 4000 miles with out a rebuild but definitely do something by 3800 miles because it is very common that the crank will go out by 4000 miles:amen:.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
HAHA i know i should change that, always rode polaris until this year its my first ski doo ever! thanks for the suggestions! what about pod filters do you or anyone you ride with run them? stock air box looks like it wouldnt breath very well?

S

Ski-Doosh

Aug 1, 2014
Delta Jct AK
I don't know of them but I have taken the air filter off of my Tundra II to get it up a mountain and can tell you that the difference is noticeable but not as much as you would think.

K
Dec 19, 2007
Spokane
Ski Doo advise

Don't change the stock air box because the machine is calibrated to take in that much air. You might check your carbides to see if they are good. You could change your chain case oil and make sure the tensioner is good. I like my extra gas can and carry gear with me on the tunnel with an aftermarket bag. Ice scratchers are good if you plan to push the season. If you really want a fast but fantastic upgrade, bolt on a Team roller secondary. Also if it still has the stock muffler you can shave 10 pds. and a couple h.p. by adding an aftermarket silencer. I also put a vent kit on the side panels and added aftermarket running boards so the snow clears out better.

Last edited:
S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Don't change the stock air box because the machine is calibrated to take in that much air. You might check your carbides to see if they are good. You could change your chain case oil and make sure the tensioner is good. I like my extra gas can and carry gear with me on the tunnel with an aftermarket bag. Ice scratchers are good if you plan to push the season. If you really want a fast but fantastic upgrade, bolt on a Team roller secondary. Also if it still has the stock muffler you can shave 10 pds. and a couple h.p. by adding an aftermarket silencer. I also put a vent kit on the side panels and added aftermarket running boards so the snow clears out better.

Solid advice right there ^^^^^

Premium Features