• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Pro RMK??

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
On the 60 day sled giveaway it says they are giving away 2015 Pro 800s, I highly doubt they would make a 800 and 850. Sledrumors.com speculates just like everyone else on this site.

Also the current 800 meets 2015 EPA regulations, 16 will likely be the yr we see different engines.

Last edited:
S
Jan 29, 2014
Pro?etec

insiders are mute? Artic+yamaha=PolarisDoo coConispiring? IMO, Pro-chasis and Doo-Etec motor would destroy anything at this point. Stock speaking of course. Is that to coarse?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
It would be stupid simple to get 15 more HP out of the current base motor, it would be a VERY smart move at this point to bump the power up a bit and leave all the rest alone chassis wise.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It would be stupid simple to get 15 more HP out of the current base motor, it would be a VERY smart move at this point to bump the power up a bit and leave all the rest alone chassis wise.

Honest question with respect for your hard core motorsports background.

Do you believe that this 15hp is possible and still meet current EPA standards while delivering the sled at a price point that still meets with consumer acceptance?

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
Honest question with respect for your hard core motorsports background.

Do you believe that this 15hp is possible and still meet current EPA standards while delivering the sled at a price point that still meets with consumer acceptance?

Would the SLP pipe/can combo meet EPA regs?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Yup, same motor at 910 cc would do over 15 more ponies, why on earth they are all stuck on 800cc is amazing to me. :face-icon-small-dis do a 1000 twin, just a little more bore and stroke..bingo 185+ hp pump gas, but if it were me i'd just tack on a third jug, bam 1200cc triple done deal :) they already have the watercraft cranks and cases done, and they pass emmissions no sweat

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
But the compact size/mass of the 800 cfi is what makes it such a stellar engine.
The big bores that are out there wont even come close to meeting EPA regs.

A 1000cc twin would change the character of the PRO RMK... might be nice for drag racing.

Don't most of the boats you race run lightweight small blocks rather than big blocks?

For me, some of the best features of the PRO are how nimble it is... heck... I can feel the difference between a 600 and an 800 PRO RMK in how nimble they are. Put a bigger "gyro" under the hood that makes more power AND can be produced meeting all safety and emissions regs, and you will, IMO, negatively impact the character of the sled.

Again, the aftermarkets are increasing the displacement with larger bores, same 70mm stroke... and getting more power for sure. But they have zero concern with meeting emissions standards that the OEM's do.... That is the big thing... OEM's MUST meet govt. regulation standards to sell to the public. Hop onto a race only 2014 IQR, and you will see that the OEM's can make great hp in a small package... but those are not consumer offerings.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
All that being said... a complete redesign of the the engine... different lubrication methods... injection techniques... materials could pull off an engine that makes more power.

BUT... and this is an important "but" (from a corporate perspective)

The current 800cfi meets EPA emissions standards for the 2015 MY, it is in the best selling sled package on the market.... and that does not seem to be slipping. Why would they invest in something that does not affect the bottom line to the consumer. And I'm not arguing here that it is the best/worst etc to the consumer for all the other brand riders that may read this... that is certainly personal preference.

I've heard great/promising rumors as well... We'll have to wait till March to find out just what all that is about.... But it IS fun to speculate.

Last edited:
M
Dec 2, 2013
NE ALBERTA
All that being said... a complete redesign of the the engine... different lubrication methods... injection techniques... materials could pull off an engine that makes more power.

BUT... and this is an important "but" (from a corporate perspective)

The current 800cfi meets EPA emissions standards for the 2015 MY, it is in the best selling sled package on the market.... and that does not seem to be slipping. Why would they invest in something that does not affect the bottom line to the consumer. And I'm not arguing here that it is the best/worst etc to the consumer for all the other brand riders that may read this... that is certainly personal preference.

I've heard great/promising rumors as well... We'll have to wait till March to find out just what all that is about.... But it IS fun to speculate.

Only reason would be is because they may feel the market has lost confidence in the 800cfi motor. Chassis is excellent, just to market some type of improvement to the motor ? year after year they always say no changes, but the people never forget the the old one in the garage that they had to kit, map ,or rebuild, and those situations always get the attention in the market.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Gotcha... This platform is only 4 years into production (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)... not sure if anything will be done in the 800... A 70mm stroke 600, like the IQ-Racers have for 2014 with a clean injection system could make some serious smiles and "grunty" power. The 800's run a 70mm stroke currently.

Maybe direct injection could allow more compression while still minimizing DET (aka pre-ignition) ????? and yield more power from a smaller package with less gyroscopic forces???
HMMM... that would be big news!! But Direct injection could be more costly and more complex...

Last edited:

BLSDEEP

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman
Guys,
850cc is not logical.
Po is going to stick with class warfare as they always have.
Example: What class would you race the 850 rmk in? An 850cc engine would take Po out of the 800 class completely. Not good for Po.

You picking up what I'm laying down? :face-icon-small-coo

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
About the confidence issue; in 2014 we have seen no engine failures, suppose someone has but we've seen zero, no quick drive issues, just a few drive belt but we sell so few of them these days compared to the 1080's, no drive shaft problems and check this forum out, no bitchen except now we want more hp. Have you not had fun with your current ride? When I hear complaints on hp on a Pro RMK, I know people are happy, happy , happy

S
Oct 16, 2008
Everything I have been hearing is aimed at the Flatlanders. The RMK is pretty damn good and it's time for a re-design for the Rush. Perhaps a Pro Ride II with a couple of new motors to choose. A beefed up 800 and a wild version 600 based off the racer , maybe a new 4 stroke for the high mileage trail crowd? God knows they have some pretty stout 4 strokes in there side by sides and quads. The 600R makes some serious power also. Can't wait as I'm gonna be a test mule and trade in my 13.

Last edited:
Premium Features