• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 summit 600 running problem

M
Nov 10, 2011
i just bought a 1999 summit 600 from my neighbor last winter he had problems this the dess light in thinks its called coming on and the he said he could clean the post with a wire brush then it would run good for a while. i bought the sled mid summer this year and it ran good everytime i started it untill it got cold this fall now the light is on and it wont move or hardly even rev up being a cat guy i hardly know anything about skidoo so if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
If it starts fine but won't go anywhere - then it is still in the tether cord.

With all the trouble with this that you mention - I wonder if the previous owner(s) actually USED the tether cord, and maybe it is simply worn out and not fitting tightly enough to make reliable contact?

X
Dec 1, 2007
NW Iowa
I had this problem a couple seasons ago. Shine a flashlight in the end of your tether cord. Make sure the 'chip' is centered in there and not all mashed up or to one side or the other. Mine had started coming loose and was off to one side. Wasn't enough to make good contact. Was just about to fall out all the way.....which could also be the problem. I took the chip out and used so epoxy to get it solidly centered again and haven't had a problem since.

X
Dec 1, 2007
NW Iowa
When you have it running, try wiggling the tether to see if you can get it to rev over 3000. If that works, you likely just need to lightly clean the post it attaches to with a scotchbrite pad or get your tether to be snugger on the post with a ziptie. If that doesn't help, check for loose connections or rubbed/shorted wiring from the post to the DESS. If it's neither of those, you may need to get a new tether and have your DESS mapped to it. I think most Doo dealers are able to do this.

M
Nov 10, 2011
yes both tethers are programed to the sled or were and i was told at my local doo dealer it was most likely the post so i replaced it and it still doesnt work

Premium Features