• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

shovels and probes

J
Mar 21, 2008
I needa shovel and a probe. Is the bca tour extension and probe combo a good quality peice? it is quite a bit better deal than buying seperate but I wonder about the quality only because the bca shovels are cheaper than most of the other ones. my biggest concern is durability

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I would recommend a bigger shovel. Go with the Companion shovel EXT (extendable shaft) and the SR3 probe or the Carbon 260 probe.
Go to www.avalanche1.com and look at the gear page for some recommendations. I also consulted with www.snowmobileavalanchegear.com and they carry equipment that I have found to hold up really well and the equipment is the right size to get the job done. Hope this helps. Mike Duffy

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I agree with Mike. The Tour shovel is good for a small shovel, but to get the job done right you want a bigger shovel and a longer probe. The probe inside the shaft of the Tour shovel is only 6 feet long and not much thicker than a pencil; it works as a backup or emergency probe, but for your main shovel & probe I would recommend a larger shovel & probe.

The BCA Companion Extension shovel is a great shovel and has a wide blade.

Premium Features