• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 Polaris Xc Sp 800 no power under load

L
Jan 28, 2019
I have a 01 Polaris Xc Sp 800 that has very little power under load, I am able to ride it but it bogs down and doesn’t have much power. I cleaned the carbs and rebuilt fuel pump and it hasn’t changed. Compression is good. What could be the issue?
Thanks

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
It could be a broken reed, or the high low headlight beam switch may have malfunctioned and is screwing up the electricity coming from the stator. Or then the stator could be bad. The CDI box may have also be the culprit. The cheapest way to find out the problem is by borrowing the components from another 01 and plugging them in.

J
Feb 9, 2019
Could be the coolant temp sensor in the head cover. They are known to go out and this puts the CDI in a limp mode. Or it could also be clutching. Is it pulling rpm’s?

L
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t know when the last time the clutches were serviced I just bought the sled and it wasn’t doing this when I bought it, it just started.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Fuel pump could need rebuilding, by flipping the nickel size clear plastic valve discs over, in order to get a better seal.

The coolant sensor could be on the verge of going out completely. Test by disconnecting and insert U shaped wire into the end of the 2 wire plug that you just disconnected, on the stator side of that connector.

In 01 and 02's, when the black factory suction hose from the bottom of the engine to the fuel pump is replaced with a plastic hose, the plastic hose collapses when the engine heats up and you lose most of the fuel going to the carburetors.

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
A while back, I was going to replace the impulse line with some black fuel hose I had sitting around. I cut it to the same length, but it looked kinked at the angles. So, since the original hose still looked fine, I'm still running it. Definitely not the hose to replace with just anything.

Premium Features