• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tailgate broke with sled deck on........

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Loaded the sleds, closed the tailgate, and now it wouldn't open. So now we cant access the ramp to get our sleds off lol. Basically locked out entirely.....Anyone ever deal with this on any model truck and have advice on what to do. Mines a 2010 Ram 2500...

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Not that I can see. Id just break it and replace it, but its one with the backup cam soooo..... Sorta don't want to do that. And the bolts to remove it are on the inside

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If its a plywood deck, i would be removing some plywood or putting a hole in the deck .

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
The deck isn't sitting on the gate is it? My deck put dents in my bed and it caused the deck to sit on the gate so I'm forced to put plywood under the deck legs so I can get the gate open without lifting the deck with two sleds on top.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Since your tailgate uses a latch kind of like the doors instead of a striker like the door on your house you can't really put anything in there to try and move it like you could if it was a striker. I'd lube the crap out of it from each side through the crack between the bed and the tailgate, hoping some of the lube will penetrate the latch, work the handle and hope you just have a sticky latch on one side. If one of the rods has come off from the handle your only hope would be to get inside and release it from the little latch that is on the inside side of the tailgate on each side like in the second video. If that doesn't work looks like somehow you are going to have to get the sleds off and hope your deck isn't attached to the truck from the inside. Lift the deck and remove the inner cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qugJhbzQdug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7qTRiNI2ws

Last edited:

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Just might have to get the sleds off borrowing a buddies ramp, then take off the wood decking etc. There is no weight on the tailgate, it is loose/free. My other thought is maybe it somehow slipped into the "locked" position, and Ive never had the key for it, so might call the dealer and see if they have a universal or something, before I tear into anything.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Key should be the one for your truck. I'm not a Dodge guy but all the Ford's I've had with a locking tailgate use the truck key. If it's not been used in quite some time you'll probably need to lube the crap out of it to get it to turn.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
If your key works in the doors, it will work in the tailgate...unless someone swapped out the tailgate from another vehicle.
Its worth a shot to put the key in there and try working in back and forth, maybe you will get lucky.

FYI... if the handle is in the lock position it should feel like nothing is happening when you try to open it, like no resistance at all. If its in the unlock position you should feel the handle moving the linkage and trying to do something.

Good luck!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
My guess is that it's just stuck.

I have a 2012 Ram and you need to lube the crap out of the handle area itself from time to time. You might be able to get a can of WD-40 type stuff with the hose on it inside the tailgate handle from the outside to lube it up enough. Once you get it open take the bolts out from the backside and with the bezel removed super clean and lube the inside again. I had the same issue with mine a few years back. Never seen a truck tailgate stick like then till I had a Ram.

The key is the same as the door key which is also the same as the one inside your key fob if you have that. But you can tell when it's locked as the handle feels loose and just lifts with no contact.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Just admit that the snow was toooooo deeeep for u and u were scared.....
It's ok..... we're here to help. U can open up to us.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I’ve seen the video where you load the sled into your pickup, by hand, no ramp by yourself. I’m surprised you just didn’t HULK SMASH it open by hand!

Premium Features