• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary clutch problems

Feb 7, 2014
So the 3 weights inside the primary clutch. One weight keeps on slipping through the case on the outside it's happened 3 times now and it's the same weight. But then today we were shoving the weight back in and then the shaft that is hooked into the motor was loose very badly. So is that the problem because at the beginning of the season it had been worked on from a shop and that could of happened at the shop not getting it torqued to 65 lbs

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
So, you're saying the crank is loose???? That would be the part that the primary clutch mounts to sticking out of the engine.... If you can move that VISIBLY with your hand, I would say you have a shot crank bearing and need to get it replaced immediately before you do more damage, if you haven't already. Someone else with more experience will chime in.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
So the 3 weights inside the primary clutch. One weight keeps on slipping through the case on the outside it's happened 3 times now and it's the same weight. But then today we were shoving the weight back in and then the shaft that is hooked into the motor was loose very badly. So is that the problem because at the beginning of the season it had been worked on from a shop and that could of happened at the shop not getting it torqued to 65 lbs
Maybe some pic's or a little video would help.I torque my clutch to 85- 89 Foot pounds

T
Jan 6, 2012
Maine
Alright thanks that's what i kinda thought it might be not sure but I'll hold and see what other people say

not the crank. sounds like your clutch spring may be broken and not pushing the clutch all the way back out? or maybe your ramps are worn down to much allowing the arms to go past the point they should and get stuck? It all sounds very confusing the way you have written it. what exactly moves 3"?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
So the roller/arm is going past the end of the ramp and holding the clutch closed, correct?
Either a loose clutch bolt or the splines are excessively worn or broken.
The clutch bolt will loosen if the domed lock washer is installled backwards or is too flat.

Premium Features