• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avid or Wahl 7 tooth drivers--rev shaft

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
I did the Wahl's on my Rev and they worn down fast - common with them from what I've read (unless they've corrected within the past few years to a more durable durometer plastic). I would only recommend Avid!

Have FUN!

G MAN

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I had wahl bros 7tooth 3.0 pitch driver on my 97 summit turning an arctic cat challenger 153 track and the driver vibrated pretty badly rode for a year or 2 with stock drivers that were worn before I extended from 136 the the 153 and had nics on them and stock driver were smooth ridin, everytime someone rode my sled they would always ask me, whats that bad vibration in your sled?, I changed replaced the track and driver to another set of stock ones No Vibration, If I had it to do again I would buy the Avid`s never heard any probs like this with them but have read alot of the others having same prob I did.

I know the Wahls aren`t inexpensive but they sure are cheap.. I didn`t like them
just my 02

Good Luck, Wildcard

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I did the Wahl's on my Rev and they worn down fast - common with them from what I've read (unless they've corrected within the past few years to a more durable durometer plastic). I would only recommend Avid!

Have FUN!

G MAN

The Avids are not round and Wahls are and roll easier on the stand, Avids are very tough, I havent had the wahls out to test durability.Also the avids are 1/4 smaller than Wahls.BJ had indicated way back the earlier Wahls had the tooth hitting the clip causing an issue however that wasnt the case on a set I just installed on a Hawk,Must have corrected that issue.No doubt the Avids are stronger.G man did you notice any vibrations ?

Last edited:
G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
The Avids are not round and Wahls are and roll easier on the stand, Avids are very tough, I havent had the wahls out to test durability.Also the avids are 1/4 smaller than Wahls.BJ had indicated way back the earlier Wahls had the tooth hitting the clip causing an issue however that wasnt the case on a set I just installed on a Hawk,Must have corrected that issue.No doubt the Avids are stronger.G man did you notice any vibrations ?

No vibrations; drive side of the external teeth wore down real fast tho!

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
No vibrations; drive side of the external teeth wore down real fast tho!

appears that there are differences how the two driver hit the clips. Avids hit clip and side lug all at same time and Wahls hit side lugs first and only the center if the track hikes up a bit.

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
used to have whaul bros on my rev. put a bout 1400 miles on them with zero problems. well... i got the track too hot on a solid ice trail one day and the track clips acutally left melt spots on the the drivers, but other than that they worked great for me.

S
Feb 10, 2009
Gooding Id
I have the avid 7 tooth with 2.5 camo. worked great. till track ripped in half. Im going to try to pro track under the 07 rev this year and see how that works on the rev. so have to buy 2.86 pitch drivers now to.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
the guy I bought the track from over ported it. had 4 holes across the middle. (FYI it is a little tight with the track around the drivers 3 times)

Do you have any idea how the 4 hole will effect that track?if you plan to run it for the powder you it will fall short from a stock 2.3 track

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
ya it would fall a little short. but i only give 250 for the avids and the track so i ran it till she came apart. and now decided to try the polaris track and see how that does.

The Poo track is so soft the paddles bend over easily, You can forget about getting the front in the air, it will just spin

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
The Poo track is so soft the paddles bend over easily, You can forget about getting the front in the air, it will just spin

True so what you do is the F-bomb track mod where you just cut the nubs off the lugs (so you take a 2.4" track down to 2.25"). Then it becomes like a faster version of the Camo Xtrme. BEST track I've ever run and highly recommended for everything except really light Utah type powder.

Have FUN!

G MAN

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
True so what you do is the F-bomb track mod where you just cut the nubs off the lugs (so you take a 2.4" track down to 2.25"). Then it becomes like a faster version of the Camo Xtrme. BEST track I've ever run and highly recommended for everything except really light Utah type powder.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Yes your Mod will hook up nicely in Oregon, Washington cement .,but not so much in powder

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Yes your Mod will hook up nicely in Oregon, Washington cement .,but not so much in powder

You'd be surprised. It won't pop the sled up as fast but the increase in track speed (a good 5 mph) makes up for the smaller paddles. Don't knock it until you try it; will hold its own even in drier powder.

Have FUN!

G MAN

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
You'd be surprised. It won't pop the sled up as fast but the increase in track speed (a good 5 mph) makes up for the smaller paddles. Don't knock it until you try it; will hold its own even in drier powder.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Not knocking it but practicle physics from an engineering standpoint. Bent back paddles lift but have less thrust and pushing sled up and float, too soft and you just spin and stiff paddles hook up but dig, These principles dont alter. I ride Cali in bottomless light powder and also have a house at the base of Mt. Adams so i ride both areas.Your setup in northwest will do great.not so much in sugar bottomless where you sink to your waist by simple stepping off the sled. Like any mod that enhances in a specific condition it will sacrifice in others.the snow density up northwest isn't even close to other areas.Different setups for different areas . Most look for :face-icon-small-hapan enduro setup that will do it all but wont excel at either.Its all good

Last edited:
Premium Features