• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'07 summit 800 or no? need opinions

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
i currently have 2 '03 MC 800's both efi and 151", but going to be heading to the mountains more this year so I'm thinking of trading both in for a newer sled, i have a cat dealer in my town but also a ski doo one close, they have a nice '07 summit 800 154" that i could trade for, has 3xxx miles on it. looking for a realible sled so I'm wondering if i should trade for the summit or go a different route. what are your guys's opinions? :face-icon-small-hap

I

ice man

Jan 26, 2008
oliver bc canada
07 summit

the early 07's had crank problems 3000 miles its ready to grenade, have 2000 miles on my 08,no problems but at 3000 would be thinking rebuild.revs are fun sleds though ,good luck

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
If it has the "R" stamp on the case (below and to the right of where the motor stop sits) then it's good2go, if not you'd need to get her sent out to get the crank bearing races reamed to proper size. At 3,000 miles it needs a new top end. The thing is, they're practically giving '07's away these days and they're actually one of the better sleds Doo ever made (as long as the case is fixed). If it does have a 154 then they switched tracks which was also needed (mine runs a 154 now too). These sleds rip, you just need to know what to look for.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
http://www.glenssportcenter.net/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=270320&Used=1 thats the sled im talkin about, sorry for being dumb about all this :face-icon-small-dis never owned a ski doo before so I'm not very fimilar to them. they have a lot of '08 and up sleds also, its just I'm not looking to fork out a lot of cash since all my money is wrapped up in wyoming trips. thanks for the input its greatly appreciated keep it coming!! :face-icon-small-hap

D
Apr 28, 2009
Looks like a fairly clean sled. The revs are great sleds with 800r motor. Check with the dealer if the motor has been replaced. If it has, check how many miles on the new motor because youll need top end around 2500 miles.

P

POPPS

Oct 1, 2001
Mackenzie BC
IT's an 07, don't touch it, you said you wanted something reliable, that motor could seize before you left the parking lot. Doo some more research on here and Dootalk, those 07's are trouble.:face-icon-small-sad

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
REVs are great sleds like stated, but that thing has 3600 miles on it. Thats a alot. Look around, there are alot of nice sleds out there with 1/2 the miles and less than what a dealer would charge. Should be able to find one for around 4gs.

you need a dealer to run the vin number... i bet it has had a new motor in it... if you can get the vin number, pm it to me and i will run it at work and give you a print out of anything that was done to it under warrinty.. i have a 07 800X 159.. i love it.... But.. i just put a new motor in it.. the motor that came in the 07's had the cases machined wrong.. so the crank bearing goes out.. to bad you couldn't talk to the owner of the sled.. it looks like he took care of it.. 07's came as 151 or 159. so they have that wrong unless the owner switched it to a 154

Last edited:
S
Feb 10, 2009
Gooding Id
the 07 is a great sled but motor troubles like everyone said mine is in the shop right now getting a new motor. I found mine as a three year hold over and bought so its still under warranty. pto side burnt down and took out that whole side of motor so getting new long block plus reed

G
Oct 24, 2009
doos = donts

i had a 08 rev 800 and my riding partner hada 07 rev 800 ,both bought new pro rmk 800 with 163 tracks , we will never look back , ride with a new e-tek, seems ok but the polaris (as much as this pains me) kicks the e-teks butt ,easy to ride ,,, i just cant say enough , got 600 km on in 2 weekends

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
IT's an 07, don't touch it, you said you wanted something reliable, that motor could seize before you left the parking lot. Doo some more research on here and Dootalk, those 07's are trouble.:face-icon-small-sad

That's not true at all (and yeah, I know about Dootalk, LOL). LIKE I SAID - the key is to make sure you have the updated case WITH the "R" stamp. Let me spell it out for you all since there's a TON of misconception about that sled. It was the first 800R motor (and actually still the fastest); big difference over the previous series III motors was that it has a liquid cooled case. BRP engineers didn't think about the expansion differences for the crank bearings when it was first designed and went with the same clearances as for the series III motors = FAIL! The tolerances were too tight with the cooler cases and created crank bearing failures left and right. BRP DID catch the problem early season and most got the corrected case (or got their motor's rebuilt for free like I did). If you have the right case you're good to go - very VERY strong motors! You just have to know what to look for. If that motor has 3600 mtn miles on her I can almost assure you it has the good case.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
the dealership still hasn't emailed me back about the sled, not open today. but once they do ill ask about the R stamp etc. thanks for all of the input its greatly appreciated! thats why snowesters are the best :first:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Like g-man said if the motor has been done then 07's a great sleds. Don't shy away from them infact look for them cause people are to the point they are giving the 07's away because of the rap sheet they have on them. Get one for a good price and proparely set up and go spank some of your friends!!:face-icon-small-ton

S

snowyo

Dec 11, 2007
BC
I Just purchased a 2010 xp and also owna 07 rev,and after a few weekend trips on the xp i am glad i kept my 07 .I got 3600 miles on my motor before i needed a new one that was last FEB.Great sleds bar none.

Premium Features