• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Ford F-150 (just released)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Quiet rumors are circulating that we might see a V8 introduced in the 2014 line as a new EcoBoost engine.

Anyone else catch wind of this???

I can find NO trace of this anywhere on the net.
But the comment came directly from a Ford Motor Corp engine technical trainer...

Planning on selling my F250 and downsizing to a F150, but sure would like the V8 if it's really coming.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Hard to imagine. I have the '12 5.0 Supercrew and had the traction control kick in one night on the interstate at 80 mph. It must have been slicker than I thought. An Eco-8 would probably wear the traction control system out.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We need to drag SLASH into this conversion.
he spoke with the Engine Rep from Ford Motorsports at the technical course he went to last month.

The guy sounded pretty legit and was in a position to know what he was speaking about.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That would be nothing short of AWESOME if they release an F150 with a V8 Twin Turbo.

That would really have an impact on Diesel Sales!

capnkirk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2010
Appleton, WI
I wonder if something like that would be reserved for the F250/F350's!?!? That would be one Heck of a beast to cram into the F150... tho i wouldn't be opposed to it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Considering the 2015 F150 will be fully redesigned, who knows what they will offer for the engine package.

xlarge.jpg

Reuters reports
external-link.png
that the automaker is planning a surprise reveal of a concept for its radically redesigned 2015 F-150, said by insiders to be a game-changer in the half-ton segment, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit next January.

superchief661.jpg

Where the new Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra are evolutionary designs, the new Ford is expected to be nothing short of revolutionary, with an extensive use of aluminum in its construction and re-engineered components like axles and brakes all aimed at cutting 700-750 pounds from the vehicles in order to improve fuel efficiency.

Reuters says Ford is aiming for a 3 mpg increase
external-link.png
in fuel economy. That would represent a better than 15 percent improvement over the most fuel efficient F-150 available today, which is rated at 19 mpg combined. The trucks are expected to go into production in late 2014 as 2015 models.

Ford has not yet confirmed the plan to show the concept in Detroit, where it will be focusing its efforts on the launch of its E-Series full-size van replacement, the Transit.

The last time Ford brought a full-size truck concept to an auto show was in 2006 when it unveiled the F-250 Super Chief in Detroit. Inspired by the classic passenger trains of the same name, the heavy duty pickup featured an ultra-luxurious interior and a futuristic tri-fuel V10 engine that could run on gasoline, E85 or hydrogen.

This type of powerplant doesn’t appear to be in the works for the next generation F-150, but Reuters says a new line of turbocharged V6 engines is under development. Ford’s existing EcoBoost 3.5-liter V6 is the top choice of F-150 buyers today.

Ford is also known to be working with Toyota to design a hybrid powertrain for full-size trucks, but has yet to commit to putting it into production. General Motors is discontinuing its hybrid pickups and SUVs next year citing low sales.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Ford Atlas Concept Is The 2015 F-150

http://jalopnik.com/5976088/the-ford-atlas-concept-is-the-2014-f+150

Detroit Auto Show
ku-xlarge.jpg
Expand

If you woke up from a bender in Ford's press event this morning, you'd have seen a large scaffold full of buff men in construction outfits spraying showers of welding sparks and pounding large hammers into girders with rippling muscles glistening with sweat. And, based on this and the loud, blaring industrial music, you'd probably think you were in a gay dance club. But you'd likely realize you were wrong when the large truck was lowered from the ceiling and then mobbed by men far too poorly dressed and out of shape to ever be in such a club.

The truck was the Atlas, Ford's new concept for the future of the F-150.
While it's a concept truck with more than its share of opulent concept car indulgences, it's also very clearly still an F-150. All the usual F-150 styling cues are there, only more so. There's the trademark beltline drop and kink, the proportions still retain the F-150 bulldog-beefiness, the taillight treatment fits the same basic profile even if they're now the rounded-rect shape that's infected pretty much nearly every taillight today.

The front end's styling is the most dramatically different, though still clearly F-150 based. I find the front grille a bit baroque and fussy, with a number of intersecting bars and openings and slots of varying weights and thicknesses. The headlights are show-car extravagances, LED units with blue glowing piping.

The concept is built on the F-150 platform, and retains the general dimensions, though it is a bit wider, and Ford said it'll be powered by a "next-generation" EcoBoost engine. The real changes body-wise, however, are in active aerodynamic features. The grille features adjustable shutters that would open when more cooling is required (idling in traffic on a hot day) and close for aerodynamic improvements for, say, highway cruising.

There's also a dynamic chin spoiler/front air dam to help with aerodynamics, and each wheel has a set of active, spring-loaded shutters that can close to improve aero performance at speed. I felt these with my hand, and based on the hard duty and environment these trucks will likely face, it's hard to picture them staying intact long. But this is just a show car, so I imagine they'll figure it out.

There's a number of other interesting features designed based on the kinds of work these trucks tend to do. There's a very nice little inverted-U-shaped hydraulic frame that raises out of the tailgate to assist in managing long cargo. If you've ever tried to haul a dozen 12' 2x4s you can imagine how handy something like this could be. Though they didn't mention it, with this thing extended and the tailgate down, you could drag an idiot/friend on roller skates for an excitingly pants-soiling asphalt-skiing session.

Most tantalizing and least explained was a trailer backup assist system. As someone who's blocked traffic horribly backing up trailers, this is very exciting.

The interior is full of leather and screens and some very clever removable aluminum-and-rubber floor mat tray things — possibly representing the pinnacle of floor mat technology. Also, the roof features an integrated cargo area/rack system for oversize bed cargo tie-downs or smaller item storage. All these features combine into a well-thought-out truck concept.
I talked to Ford Design Head J Mays about the truck and the word he kept saying about it was "intelligent." That word choice reflects a bit of defensiveness to the perceived lo-brow nature of full-sized trucks. If the "intelligence" takes the form of useful tools like they hinted at here, that'd be great, and not the awful attempt to move a truck higher up the brow that was J Mays' old Lincoln Blackwood.

Even though I was really, really hoping for a small or even mid-sized truck (J Mays told me, basically, not a chance) this does seem a rationally-thought out concept. Hopefully the clever bits will make it to production, and not just the overdone grille and fancier interior.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hate to have to wait another 18 months though....
Was hoping it was going to be the 2014 edition and not the 2015!!

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
I hope they come out with a v8 eco with about 600 ft lbs of torque. Then up the diesel to around 900 and it should be a large enough gap to keep people buying diesels. Plus it would steal a ton of gas engine fanatics from the other two manufacturers.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I am not a Ford guy and I am not a half ton or gas guy but damn that truck looks Bad@ss!! Looks awesome on the outside and looks like the best interior/cab in the business got even cooler!
Add a V8 twin turbo ecoboost and that thing would be crazy... And about time Ford starts trying to drop some weight... They are the Yamaha of trucks, there half ton almost weighs as much as GM's old 3/4 ton Dmax's

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
They are heavy. My '08 and now my '12 Supercrews weigh more than my old '88 F250 4x4 that I had. It had the 460 and 5 speed but by far these newer half tons tow a lot better. I do run 10 ply tires so I don't get as much wiggle out of that part. The half won't hold as much heavy payload in the bed, but I do like the overall power. 360 Hp is fun, so I can imagine a dual turbo would be stupid fun. My guess is that motor would be for top of the line Halfs, and/or the 250/350 market.

Premium Features