• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding Clinics / Thoughts, Experiances ???

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
With a new season anxiously getting closer I find myself researching and looking at different riding clinics that are now being offered. You guys know what I’m talking about and I’m sure a lot of you have even visited a couple of websites to check things out like prices and such. Names like Burandt, Adams and Rasmussen tend to come to mind and then visions of a smooth, cat like version of our self flying through the powder tends to enter our mind as well. Then reality sets back in and you think yeah right and most of us move along to something else. My question is to anyone who has experience with any riding clinics or training seminars and what they thought of their experience. Maybe with some good information, others will take that step and give it a try????

Obviously the big three are the ones I already mentioned and I’ll list the websites below but does anyone know of any others?

Honest thoughts on price, what you got out of it and would you recommend it, I think are just some of the questions that guys may be wondering?

http://www.burandtsbackcountryadventure.com/

http://www.nextlevelclinics.com/skills.htm

http://www.riderasmussenstyle.com/

Any others???????

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Amber Holt... Back Contry Basics... is another www.backcountrybasics.com

The boys up in Whistler also have a program with more details coming out this season.

I have found from riding with 2 of the 6 above there are different approaches...

1) The true riding clinics that have as their sole purpose of evaluating where you are in your skill set, listening to what you want to do in your riding and having specific drills and a systematic approach to have you leaving the program with those skills improved and refined with saftey as a major component of the program.

2) High energy rides with ultra skilled guides that have as part of the ride... tricks/tips and lessons that you can integrate into your skill set. Less of a "classroom" experience than the other type ... but you will still walk away with a new set of skills and ridden with an Icon in the sport.

It is best to be specific... first ask YOURSELF what you want to take away from the experience and then ask the service you are considering specifically how they can help you reach your goals.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
As I have mentioned before my 2 boys and I did the Dan Adams NXT LvL Clinic and I thought it was great. Of mountainhorses 2 styles his is definitely the first. Very structured and well thought out. Dan is a true teacher and was able to really help our skill set. Whenever we would move from area to area all 3 of us would tip it up on on ski and ride the whole way there "sidehilling" and we had never really done that much before the class. He also did a ton of education on avalanches including a surprise burial where we had to find a target and dig it out. I highly recommend his school and we will be back at least once in 2012.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
I think if you have the $ and the time and the want to do it, then go for it. Those guys know what they are doing and what can it hurt to go? I would definetly like to attend one sometime may not happen this season but i will in the future. I dont think it matters which one you pick, just know what you want to get better at and let them know and im sure they can help out a ton. So my advice is to pick one and do it

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I rode 2 days with Rasmussen but Arctic Cat paid for half of it so it wasn’t bad price wise, not a lot of one on one but he push’s you to get out of your comfort zone and it was a lot of fun chasing him through the trees:faint: he wont make you follow but you wont get any instruction if you dont.

Was it worth it? YES:face-icon-small-coo

He prefers small groups of 4-6 and don’t bother if your afraid to scratch your sled:becky:

I also got to ride with Amber Holt at the Proclimb demo ride, more one on one if you wanted it, less extreme tree riding

Edit: I should add that Arctic Cat payed for Amber's fee as well. If you ride Cat they have a program where your dealer can get part of the cost covered by the factory.

Last edited:
S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
As I have mentioned before my 2 boys and I did the Dan Adams NXT LvL Clinic and I thought it was great. Of mountainhorses 2 styles his is definitely the first. Very structured and well thought out. Dan is a true teacher and was able to really help our skill set. Whenever we would move from area to area all 3 of us would tip it up on on ski and ride the whole way there "sidehilling" and we had never really done that much before the class. He also did a ton of education on avalanches including a surprise burial where we had to find a target and dig it out. I highly recommend his school and we will be back at least once in 2012.

I've been lucky enough to be on the snow with Dan before, not a clinic, just out there... but I could easily see how he would put on a VERY structured program! I've only heard REALLY positive stories from people attending his clinics and know his focus is on knowledge not just ego (not to put down the ego rides; those can be super fun and a learning experience as well!)

Just like mtnhorse said be honest with what you're looking for and start there. if you're looking for really learning the mechanics of your machine I say Dan would be your man.... but not sure what you're looking for...

and for are they useful... again, it depends on what you want to do. Some people don't really care to improve their riding or knowledge of the backcountry to a large extent. Going to a learning clinic will really teach you this. To me spending time practicing is worth it so that riding is that much more enjoyable when I go out to really push my limits! But we're all different!

As far as a scene like Burandt's... Well, it really truly is amazing to see what that many can do on a machine!

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Amber Holt. www.backcountrybasics.com/ I have ridden with Amber the last two years, and have to say she is a great instructor. Her classes are well thought out, modified to fit your riding level/goals, and she is relentless when it comes to meeting those goals.
She has helped both my Wife and I become much more comfortable and capable riders, and managed to make it a blast at the same time!

Cost to return is very good. I can't remember exactly what it was each time we worked with her, but it was a deal and it was money well spent as I'm more comfortable in challenging terrain and when I look back, there's the Wife . . . Priceless!!! (My Wife used to pack along a book and sit at the entry to a play area and read while I played, now, she's right there!)

These classes aren't about "you keep up, you might learn something", or "hey ya'll I'll put on a show for you", it's about starting with a skill set broken down to the "Basics" and building it up until you understand not only how to do it on the terrain your currently riding, but how to adapt it to any other situation.

Anyone that can get my Wife comfortable enough to drop off into a nasty drainage, side hill through 4' of powder searching for an out, then executing an uphill u-turn and riding up and out of the drainage is a GREAT INSTRUCTOR!

I can't endorse Amber's clinics enough. If you are thinking about a riding clinic, you owe yourself a phone call to Amber and talk through what you want to accomplish, she will adapt to your level and your goals and you will learn.

Oh, and if you want to go scrape though the trees with her, you better pack your "A" game, cause your gonna need it!

Bag

D
Jun 17, 2009
Wyoming
I had the experiance to ride with Dan Adams this last Januaruy. Let me tell you this was a very awesome experiance! When you arrive you go over all common mountain safety equitment and/or skills depending on the group. As soon as you have done this you saddle up and hit the trail. Dan has some very fun spots to ride in Alpine and the snow was amazing. When you arrive at the "spot" Dan assess your current ability and/or skills in the mountains. Then you proceed to learn new techinques and skills about midway through you stop for some avalanche safety training. This was very helpful for me as it is both indepth and in the feild so you can get a feel for what it would be like if you were in an avy situation. Lunch is served on the snow and is very good, we usually took lunch around noon or so but it depends on your group. After you return home you hang up your gear in the heated shop relax and talk about your ride. We chose to stay at the Fly Saddle resort, which is very nice (clean, well managed, good food and good serivce). Day two, you will learn more techinque and skills, you will also try gates which are a fun challange. As you move from riding area to area different skills will be focused on, such as sidehilling, powder turns, down hill turns, linked turns and "in" tree boondocking. On day two you will also do more avy safety. Day three is like a quiz day, you will take the skills youve learned and put them to the test throughout the alpine backcountry. Again you will also learn about avy safety. All in All it was a blast to do and Im hoping that I will be able to go this season. Also on a side note, the Flying Saddle is very helpful as I mentioned, I left my snowpants in the dryer, I called them and they said they would put them in the mail for me that day, customer serivce was amazing! My only complaint was about the weather, it was very cold the entire time I attended (0 to -15 most days) so that was not fun. I would also like to mention that Dan is a great guy, very skilled and very willing to help and be patient with you as you master the skills. I hope this helps with you choice of the clinics!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Awesome input guys!!!! I guess one of main concerns, probably like many others was that I don't want to take the time and $$$$ just to watch someone show some trick riding and them head home.

Personally, I'm one of those guys that constantly looks to keep things interesting, fun and looking ahead at ways to make myself better. It doesn't matter if it's sports, shooting or even work. The day you quit setting goals in your life, is the day you start going backwards in life!!

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
my wife and i took ambers class, well worth it, she will work you all day, she will find things on the most experienced rider to work on as well.
she will teach you techniques, and polish up any skills you already have.

i got a lot out of the class, but my wife really progressed...
excellent class....

just remember she is teaching a course and technique, not a guide!!!!

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
Amber Holt. www.backcountrybasics.com/ I have ridden with Amber the last two years, and have to say she is a great instructor. Her classes are well thought out, modified to fit your riding level/goals, and she is relentless when it comes to meeting those goals.
She has helped both my Wife and I become much more comfortable and capable riders, and managed to make it a blast at the same time!

Cost to return is very good. I can't remember exactly what it was each time we worked with her, but it was a deal and it was money well spent as I'm more comfortable in challenging terrain and when I look back, there's the Wife . . . Priceless!!! (My Wife used to pack along a book and sit at the entry to a play area and read while I played, now, she's right there!)

These classes aren't about "you keep up, you might learn something", or "hey ya'll I'll put on a show for you", it's about starting with a skill set broken down to the "Basics" and building it up until you understand not only how to do it on the terrain your currently riding, but how to adapt it to any other situation.

Anyone that can get my Wife comfortable enough to drop off into a nasty drainage, side hill through 4' of powder searching for an out, then executing an uphill u-turn and riding up and out of the drainage is a GREAT INSTRUCTOR!

I can't endorse Amber's clinics enough. If you are thinking about a riding clinic, you owe yourself a phone call to Amber and talk through what you want to accomplish, she will adapt to your level and your goals and you will learn.

Oh, and if you want to go scrape though the trees with her, you better pack your "A" game, cause your gonna need it!

Bag

what he said!!!!

spot on...

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
One very important thing I forgot to mention is to be in the very best physical condition. I work out hard nearly everyday( only miss a few days a month) but I have changed some things over the summer to improve things specific to sledding. As you learn the skills it seems to get easier, more technique than brute strength, but strength, endurance and balance are critical to getting the most out of a clinic.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
One very important thing I forgot to mention is to be in the very best physical condition. I work out hard nearly everyday( only miss a few days a month) but I have changed some things over the summer to improve things specific to sledding. As you learn the skills it seems to get easier, more technique than brute strength, but strength, endurance and balance are critical to getting the most out of a clinic.

You make a good point about being in good condition. Can you tell us your routine and what changes you made?

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
burandt doesn't teach you how to ride. More he takes you riding and if you can keep up great. if not he will come back down and try and help you get to where he wants to go. nothing wrong with this at all. he isn't a teacher but a guide. and no you wont be able to keep up with him in everything. so don't go to burandts thinking you will learn avy stuff or how to read mountains or how to get around. but you will ride some neat terrain and flat out get schooled and he will expect you to try some stuff and be uncomfortable at what you are trying. He does truly try to get you to step up.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
No problem Jonce, but I may end up with a really long explanation. At the core of any workout program should be a good understanding of what the goals of that program should be. IMO, and this is from a guy who is new to sledding but a lifelong workout nut, the goal of a sled specific workout program should be the ability to handle ones own bodyweight at a high level. From what I can see, and my limited experience, good riders aren't throwing the sled around they are throwing their body around the sled. You are basically pulling and pushing your own body by the strength of your arms, legs and core. Watch Burandt in his videos. In the most extreme stuff he is hanging off the sled on one foot. Pulling and jerking and pushing. If you've tried hanging off a sled in a sidehill and using your free leg to push off to keep the sleds momentum up you know how hard that is!

So with that as a goal I'm doing a ton of body weight exercises. Old school pull ups, push ups and deep knee bends. I'm also doing all of my strength and power workouts as a circuit where I move quickly from one exercise to the

next. I'm trying to mimic the way sledding works your body hard for a fairly short period of time followed by periods of less intense effort. The 10 minute blast up the whooped out trail followed by a run through the trees in 2 feet of pow. The long sidehill across a slope followed by a hill climb. Strength and endurance relative to my own body weight. Couple real benefits I have found is that I have yet to hurt myself with my own body weight. When I used to lift hard with weights periods of increasing my strength always ended with some form of injury. Shoulders, knees and back were always getting hurt from hard weight training. The other benefit is that I am now in much better shape for everything I like to do. I'm ready for a 2 hour stint in a race car when it's over 140F inside the car on a hot day and I'm wearing a firesuit, helmet, and gloves. I can do a 6 mile hike with 2000 feet of elevation change in less than 2 hours. I can ski 3 days in a row from open to close and not feel like I've been rolled down a hill in a barrel.

I'm also using kettle bells. Cleans and presses, jerks and swings. Google it and you will see people demoing these moves. I also do a thing I call a snomo pull where I anchor a TRX(google it) to my chin up bar and do a basic rowing motion with my bodyweight 8 times then hold it at the top for 8 breathes to mimic holding a sidehill. I hang from the chin up bar as long as I can to increase my grip strength. I do Hindu squats(google it) and hindu push ups(same). I worked my way up to 800 Hindu sqauts in a row but I've backed off that lately. I do a 30 minute core workout on my strength days too. Planks on one hand, Turkish get ups(google), fast mountain climbers, crunches, leg raises, V-holds etc.

The last part I hesitate to share online because it sounds so ghey. I'm forty friggin' seven years old. Clocks ticking. 13 years of football, some really bad car accidents(both on the street and racetrack), 4 knee surgeries, compression fractures in my back, too many concussions to list etc has taken it's toll. For the last 3 years I've really gotten into Yoga(god that does sound REALLY ghey in writing and if you butt heads tell anyone I'll kill you). Best thing I've ever done for condition. My flexibility is just off the charts. My balance has just gotten amazing compared to where I started. No knee surgeries since I started and I'm a double knee replacement candidate. Core strength etc. I firmly feel you need to learn it from a straight male instructor if you are a dude. Women are crazy flexible and their balance seems to be a lot better than the average guy and you will just get smoked doing those workouts to the point you won't continue. It's really turned back the clock for me. There, I outed myself.

I do about an hour of cardio before my yoga workouts too. Building an aerobic base is key. So is consistency, I try and workout everyday and I rarely miss more than one day a week, at most 4 days a month off. I don't want anyone to think I'm some kind of superman. When I started hitting it hard 3 plus years ago I was pretty crippled up and 50-60 pounds overweight. If you saw me now you wouldn't think I was ripped or anything but from where I started I've come a long way. I'm also not a great sledder, I just started last January but I can get anywhere my friends can go already, just not on the same line all the time. My workout focus has been on functional strength, weight loss, functional endurance, balance and flexibility.

If you are just getting started working out start slow. Take the long view. You should try and find something that works for you and you can stick with considering you job, family commitments and all the other stuff that seems to fill a day.

Jeez this has turned into a novel. Hope you got something useful out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
MM, thanks for coming out! Really, I have two destroyed knees that they want to replace, one shoulder that is due, and am 2 months into reconstructive surgery on the other shoulder . . . I work hard all day and have never been much of a drinker, but if I don't really diet and work out now I puff up like the dough boy . . .
I have been thinking about the yoga for less impact on the busted up parts, and for better balance. ( I've always just bulled my way through stuff, and guess what? Can't do it so well anymore)
I'm a little older than you, and hate to break this to you, but it doesn't get better!!
Thank you for the insight!

Bag

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
burandt doesn't teach you how to ride. More he takes you riding and if you can keep up great. if not he will come back down and try and help you get to where he wants to go. nothing wrong with this at all. he isn't a teacher but a guide. and no you wont be able to keep up with him in everything. so don't go to burandts thinking you will learn avy stuff or how to read mountains or how to get around. but you will ride some neat terrain and flat out get schooled and he will expect you to try some stuff and be uncomfortable at what you are trying. He does truly try to get you to step up.

Tim - this is my thought 100%. I enjoyed it 100% but is not a clinic but a chance to watch and be given some ideas in how to improve your riding skill set. I do think thou that Chris is such a nice guy if you gave him feedback that you were looking for more instruction he would do it.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Bagger us busted up's need low to no impact...SWIM, STATIONARY BIKE, STRESS LIFTING STRENGTH PROGRAM. Then MEDICATE LIKE CRAZY! (ride and play hard.... then you die and hopefully the hurt is over!)

Obviously it depends on your ride but generally speaking the strain and effort is introduced when you are stuck. Then it's game over for me! The rest of the time it's all happy if your brain is right. Technique is everything! (I"m not talking about show time here I'm talking about general backcountry cross country mtn riding for enjoyment...like 90% of the people do or want to do well)

Wish someone would have shown me proper riding techniques about ten sleds and $100,000 ago! Way easier to do it right the first time than have to retrain your mind and body. Also helps to have the best sleds though!

Premium Features