• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Could this be the next future tech Of our sport? Big 4 take note

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I remember a discussion on another forum I had with a few people some 10 years ago regarding the use of carbon fiber in sled manufacturing. I was just a young punk studying material science and advanced manufacturing.

The discussion went in the direction that carbon fiber components would be on sleds by the next model year. Keep in mind this was 2005. I respectfully disagreed, citing that carbon fibre mass production is extremely expensive to tool for, plus there is a tendency for flaws in mass production of carbon fibre (air pockets and contaminants in the resin can effectively reduce its strength to nothing, perhaps that's why polaris carbon bumper is junk. But that's a different discussion for another day)

Now to the point of this post

http://www.economist.com/news/scien...-alloy-iron-and-aluminium-good-titanium-tenth

Since I read a small article on this today, I've been doing some digging and it does appear to be the real deal. To summarize for those who don't want to read the article, it's all about a material scientist from South Korea and the development of a low cost titanium replacement. I have yet see some real material science reports on things like tensile strength,ductility, maliability, or the actual mass so I can not do a true comparison yet. But if it's truly low cost replacement for titanium, and is remotely close to Ti alloys there are some pretty large ramifications

The fact that the developers have already approached one of the worlds largest steel producers to mass produce this material tells me all things are a go. The fact that this alloy is comprised of readily available, cheap, and abundant materials says costs should remain relatively low.

What does all this mean?
1- the price of Ti could bottom if a cheap alternative is out there,opening up for larger use of Ti
2-wide spread use of this new alloy in areosoace, Automotive, and our beloved snowmobiles

Now I'm dreaming a bit, but my imagination has been running Wild all day with this, but just think of things like;

A- lightened crank ,Ti crank shafts are by no means a new development but they are expensive. A lightened crank would boost efficiency. We all have heard the effects of decreasing rotating mass, do there is more than just the benefit of reducing over all weight when the aled hits a scale

B- exhaust. Take your entire exhaust system and cut its weight to by who knows what percentage. Once again a larger ramification than just scale weight, this could mean the stock suitcase that many replace with an obnoxious lightweight can could remain. Removing the negative aspects of noise in the riding areas we are currently fighting over. Kind of a big deal

C- replace every current nut, bolt, steel rivet, bearing, ball joint, exhaust valve, steering post, and suspension spring with a new lightweight alloy version. What would that do to scale weight?

D- 4 stroke engine. Imagine howuch could be shed for weight, could change the way we view a 4s for their weight penalties

I'm predicting a 300 ish pound sled sooner than we think. We are knocking in the door of 400 from a production model now. Give it 5 years

Also I would caution against buying stocks in titanium producers. Could be bad business in the near future

I
Nov 26, 2007
I may have given you a bad rating accidentally, I apologize.

My take on this is the annealing process is crucial to the spacing of the crystalline structures, which could limit how this material can be utilized, welding, etc.

D
Nov 14, 2013
God, not more glue...

Yes lets keep things the same, mountain sleds @ 450lbs and try nothing new.

I went carbonless, glueless and belt driveless admittedly but do I fully support Polaris pushing the envelope and implementing lighter materials, yes 100%. I will snowcheck the axys on account I skipped on the 12+ Pro.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
I've been seeing this discussion as well. Great new technology! Hope it pans out. Pretty exciting for new material to come along. I guess MOP on it is titanium in itself is only half the major expense of using it. The other half is the labor involved in making the project happen. So with that if the machining and welding process is that of what steel is I'm even more into it.
Dan

Carramrod

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Everyone is freaked out about glue. If you only knew how Boeing puts together some of their aircraft landing and wing components... I think you'd all be terrified to get on an airplane again

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Everyone is freaked out about glue. If you only knew how Boeing puts together some of their aircraft landing and wing components... I think you'd all be terrified to get on an airplane again

The stupid part about people being freaked out about glue is that as long as there is fasteners included with the glue and bare clean metal there is no issues.

Only where poo cut corners and pre painted stuff is there problems.

Look at the bulkhead and alum overstructure....... Not alot of glue failures there? If any.
Using fasteners alone lets the chassis flex like a skidnoodle.
The glue is what makes the pro the most ridgid chassis out there and is alot of the handling advantage.

I'm All for more glue.

Having used some and seen how strong it is when applied correctly.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK

Not to mention most of the cars and trucks these same people are driving are glued together as well. The paranoia of some people who trust glue in other venues just because they are unaware of it being used or have not heard of QC issues with it. WTF? All your rivet less enclosed trailers use Bonded (glued) wall panels.

Are they going to turn down open heart surgery if they need it? That is what the original Superglue was developed for. To speed up the reconnections so they can restart your heart in minutes, instead of spending hours placing stitches that may rip out and necessitate cutting you open again.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
Yes I don't mean to insult anyone, but the fears of glued products are mostly in the uneducated. The structural bonding strength of CORRECTLY applied glue is typically higher than that of a weld, so I guess the logic would then say fear welds.... No fear people failing to do their job

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
The price of carbon fiber products is coming down too. Santa Cruz has a range of carbon fiber mountain bikes that cost only slightly more than their alloy frame models. The middle of the road carbon fiber frames are slightly heavier than the top of line carbon fiber frames but are otherwise identical. They still weigh less than the alloy frames and they provide a better ride as anyone who has put time on metal and carbon fiber frame mountain bikes can attest. Weight savings and almost identical price to alloy frames is a great deal. I hope that the snowmobile manufacturers study what Santa Cruz has done and consider it for future product offerings.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I spent a summer interning in Roseau and learned all about LORD adhesives. I have now implemented it in the company that I work for now that builds high end emergency response vehicles.

LORD 406-19GB has a tensile strength of 4650 psi

Take the a-arm joint:

For arguments sake, lets assume 1" tube with 1" deep overlap with forged end piece. That bond should take 14608 lbs to separate.

That's about the same force needed to shear a 7/16" grade 8 bolt.

It's not the glue that's the issue, it's the application.

Also, glue is awesome because it does not crack due to cyclical fatigue like aluminum welds will. I remember my M7 had hairline cracks everywhere after 3000 miles. My pro has about 4000 miles and no bulkhead issues.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I remember my M7 had hairline cracks everywhere after 3000 miles. My pro has about 4000 miles and no bulkhead issues.

IMO the Cat chassis have alsways suffered that fate due to poor weld joint design, additionally you typically lose about half of the strength of the aluminum due to the heat of welding process and the removal of the temper. So yes without a doubt a non-heat process will allow the temper to remain and the joint to be far stronger than a welded one. I am a welder by trade and I am knowledgable enough to know when welding is not appropriate. I am a fan of the glue / adheasive technology as well. But the preperation of the surfaces is very important! Probably to a far greater degree than welding is, I'm pretty particular on my joint prepparation, but I've seen most are not as particular and I have seen it bite them over and over again.

Back to topic on the new ultra light / ultra strong steel, it will be interesting to see what will become of this and it's properties. What it will be well suited for, it's weldability, machinability, heat treating / hardening potential? (bearings and other things that Titanium is not suited for due to it's properties). There is a lot of research that needs to take place on the new material before these and other questions will be answered, and we can start planning it's suitablity for specific applications. Cool times and prospects though.

Last edited:
S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Polaris use of Carbon is not that high tech its basicly straight pre produced carbon tubes that are used instead of tubes in a different material in a couple of places. molded parts would be more high tech and expensive.

Premium Features